New to loading rifle: loading 223 for bolt guns

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Baer45, May 11, 2019.

1. Baer45

Baer45 Silver $$ Contributor

I understand the differences between 223 and 556 but my problem is Hornady reloading manual only goes to 60ngr bullets in their 223 loads and any bigger loads are service rifle or AR designated. I have a custom barrel for a Desrt Tech Conversion designed around shooting 75/77 gr bullets. Do I just use the bigger loads in 556 but being careful to work up? Do I still load my bullets to or just off lands since my magazine is big enough just like I do for other bolt action caliber guns?

Lastly, does it make any difference whether I use 223 or 556 brass so long as they are same brand and used in any load workup?

Thanks for any input. As soon as I think I understand it....I have to start all over.../

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

It confused me too, in the beginning. I just used the data for the bullet weight and worked up carefully. I have used a few different kinds of brass with the Sierra 77. PMC, Federal, Lake city and Lapua. They all work and hold up. For my custom barrels, I use Lapua, tho I just started trying some PMC because I have a ton of it. It’s shooting pretty well so far.
    In all of my guns, I find an accurate node below published max. I start in the lands to find a good charge, then play with seating depth.
    The trick to brass longevity is pushing the shoulder back only a couple thousandths. This also helps to keep your internal volume the same. My problem is having four custom barreled 223s and all the brass is different! It’s a job keeping them separate!
    When I use LC or the PMC for my good gun’s, I pick out a hundred that weigh the same and keep those batches separated.
    Hope this helps.
    Josh

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot likes this.
  3. 243winxb

243winxb

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  4. Baer45

Big help. I am loading primarily for bolt gun. Any reason not to use nato brass if I take the crimp out?

5. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

None whatsoever! Think about buying some Lapua. It’s not that expensive for a hundred and they’ll last a long time if you treat them right. 20+ reloading cycles is not unheard of. Add the reassurance of shooting the best brass out there and it’s an easy purchase in my book.

Larry70 likes this.
  6. Baer45

Thanks. I like Lapua and have no problem with buying some. I have access to an unlimited supply of once fired mil spec Lake City Ammo so was just wondering...

7. drover

drover

I use both Lapua and Lake City, both give me sub one-half inch 5 shot groups which is about as good as I can shoot most of the time. While my Cooper Varminter 223 is not a benchrest rifle I cannot tell any difference in accuracy when using one or the other, The only thing I do to the Lake City is trim to the same length and sort by year.
    Be aware that with the once fired Lake City you may occassionally encounter a piece that has been fired in an oversized chamber and the base will be expanded so much that it will not chamber - in that case just toss it and go on with life.

drover

Baer45 likes this.
  8. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

If you look at the .223/5.56 loading data the difference is throat length and twist rate.

I have a Savage .223 with a 1in9 twist and it has a throat longer than my AR15 rifles.

Rifles with a 1in12 or 1in14 twist will have a short throat for lighter shorter bullets.

[​IMG]

'Freak and Baer45 like this.