New sellers in the scope section

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Dusty Stevens, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

why does everyone start out on this forum selling higher end scopes? My mind is scrambled trying to look at scopes.

hogpatrol likes this.
  2. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Not sure about the newbie thing but imo this is one of the only places where sellers can get more than fifty cents on a dollar for used scopes.

3. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Firearms involve FFLs, primers and powder hazmat fees, cases and bullets are relatively low dollar value... that pretty much leaves optics...

4. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

Everyone that sells is a " NEW SELLER " at some point.
    Research and sift through them.

5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

a-stirring.gif Because the newbies thought if they switched out the Barska or Simmons for a super duper expensive scope on their Creedmoor, it would make them a better shooter. When they find out it doesn't, and the truck payment is due, it's off to the want ads. a-stirring.gif

Snuggie, GotRDid, Pappy42 and 13 others like this.
  6. hogpatrol

If new sellers had any sense, they'd realize a person with zero trade history trying to sell a $2000 scope is a non starter, at least to anyone that DOES have sense. On the other hand there have been a few that went for that "super buy" and were taken for a ride.

Snuggie, MGYSGT, PatMiles and 3 others like this.
  7. Savage65CM

Savage65CM

Maybe they’re about to order a Impact Precision rifle and they want some extra funds to play with??? Who knows...

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  8. hogpatrol

Smart buyers don't care why someone is selling something. Only that's it's going to be what they expect it to be for the price they paid.

9. Savage65CM

Savage65CM

So many jaded people on this page about selling items. If never seen it this bad on the other forums I visit. Theft must be worse here then anywhere else. Hopefully it all works out and no one else has to deal with it.

10. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

There is more of a brotherhood here it seems looking out for one another, except when politics are mentioned.
    Try posting a current newspaper with your item for sale.

300_whisper, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  11. hogpatrol

Drop a thousand bucks in the mail to a person with little to no trade history, get nothing in return and then tell us how you feel. Like Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Snuggie, ED3, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  12. Savage65CM

Savage65CM

Like I said I never dealt with that.

“Fear is a thief because fear robs you before you even begin.”

-Bryant McGill

338 dude and mikeinct like this.
  13. hogpatrol

Two African natives in a field of tall grass. They both hear a rustling in the field. One thinks it's the wind. One thinks it's a lion. Which one survived? :D

D Coots, Snuggie, bpmoss1 and 8 others like this.
  14. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

I’ll gladly send my two thousand to someone like Brownell’s. I get my scope and hopefully they make enough profit to keep their lights on.

hogpatrol likes this.
  15. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I'm sure your scope will sell on another forum w/o all the drama we have here. If I was in the market for your offering, I would have gave you a shot.
    I was almost a inaugural Gun Broker member in 2000, buying AR's that were not readily available, and Colt Pythons, sending out 1K cashiers checks left and right, back when there were virtually no tools to verify a seller. Feedback is a good tool, but also turns grown men into little girls seeking validation, no diff than ebay, where a seller tells you, "leave positive feedback and I will do the same". Well, BFD, you were paid 8 days before I got your product, you get the ball rolling.
    2 weeks ago today, I bought a 525i Kahles optic off SH, 2600, no feedback system there, you can scroll through 100's of pages of good guy BS, big pain. Anyway, I pay pal'd the coin, expected the scope to ship Monday, by Tuesday night it had not shipped and my blood pressure elevated some, Wed it was shipped and arrived just like it was described, so all good with a no feedback system. Most who get scammed fail to do some homework.
    I hate scammers and thieves as much as the next guy, but when guys act like 1K is the end of the world, well, let it be then. Let's not mention the clowns that say you need to ship before I pay, right, that is how the real world works.

Snuggie, Nature Boy, 338 dude and 5 others like this.
  16. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

Worst case if you’re really concerned about a seller I would simply ask if you can pay the additional fees to use regular PayPal instead of friends and family as most people ask for. Legitimate sellers (and especially new ones looking to get some initial feedback) will usually have no problem accepting this and it gives you some confidence that you have some recourse should there be any problems. Well worth the extra couple bucks in fees for the peace of mind.

Shooter13 and David Christian like this.
  17. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Something that might help is if you put more information in your profile page. I'd put my shoe size in mine, if I thought it would help. Hey Dale, I still got that simmons.

MikeT49, Dgd6mm and hogpatrol like this.
  18. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I will just say this. I have been here for quite a while. Been a member since 2010. I am a casual member as I do not compete. I have listed and sold 2 scopes here.. These days other web forums, etc, make it hard to sell anything gun related. FB is impossible. People should be leery of buying/selling. Trader history is a good indicator, but some of us just don't sell much. I don't like to use PayPal, but I believe it is one avenue we have to protect ourselves.

338 dude and hogpatrol like this.
  19. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting that you pass judgement on these "jaded" people and make the assumption that they are somehow not down to your standards. Maybe, just maybe, those many jaded people are really smart, intelligent folks who guard their hard earned money. I think a better description would be CAUTIOUS!
    I notice that your trader history is 0, yet you preach to other members that caution is not necessary. Put your money where your oversize mouth is and start spreading around some of your $$$$.

Snuggie, MikeT49, ED3 and 5 others like this.
  20. Savage65CM

Savage65CM

You obviously missed yesterday’s thread. ^

300_whisper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.