New RR actions

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Nightraider, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Nightraider

Nightraider

@Dusty Stevens thread got me off topic, the primary extraction sucks on three R700s as does the bolt fit, but the fact is the action themselves have come lightyears from the last prefix. I think we need to thank @Dave L Kiff for kicking big green into the future. This was one I did today, right from the box, indicated in with a .0001" Interapid. The face runout was .0003". The pitch depth was a perfect 1.023" with zero taper in the threads and the lugs were out under .0005". All in all I've seen high dollar custom actions worse than this.

DirtySteve, Zero333, WyleWD and 4 others like this.
  2. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

This is what we found here too. The actions from the last year have been outstanding. We have no experience before that.

300_whisper likes this.
  3. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I was actually told by my gunsmith exactly what you have experienced in Remington actions built in the last few years. His measurements were similar and no additional work was performed.

4. urbanrifleman

Mine does a tiny clean up with the trueing kit. But it takes almost nothing to clean up the faces.

The extraction from the bolt handle is not as good as my 40x custom shop. Who ever set up my custom shop was a good smith. That bolt is butta

284winner likes this.
  5. Walt Schmidlin

Walt Schmidlin

Bought a RR M700 .308W in 2/19, replaced the trigger and put the action in an Eliseo type stock.
    Using 155gr bullets, H-335, mixed Win brass I am getting consistent less than 1.5 MOA 20 shot groups at 300yds using a scope and sling.

Not sure if this is representative of the RR actions and barrels, don’t have the instruments to measure action/bolt components but in hind sight should have bought at least one more.

tomswede likes this.
  6. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Exactly. I think he barely touched mine up but when he initially checked it and showed me how good it looked, it wasn't a necessary thing to do anything to the action. Hard to complain about that

7. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

what is RR action? Is it a off the shelf Rem?

8. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I was shopping about five or so years ago, and because I hadn’t bought a new rifle in forever of course the go to was Remington’ well after manipulating a few at the local gun counter I was horrified at the sloppy rough gruff action.
    This SS action doesn’t look that bad actually but what do I know.
    Hell I bought a Tikka for a hunting rifle and a Savage for a range rifle/project.

9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

All I can say, is, it's about damn time, IF there all like that!

SPJ likes this.
  10. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Tommy, you may want to read his post again. Factory rifle with an aftermarket trigger shooting reloads with a mix of bullets, and shooting with a sling offhand. I would say that was d@amn good for a 20 shot string.

11. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Totally missed that. My bad.

12. Nightraider

Nightraider

It's the
    It's the current Prefix of R700s

muleman69 likes this.
  13. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Says “mixed Winchester brass” not mixed bullets. I don’t see anything about “offhand.” Assume it’s a 4.5 inch group at 300 yards using a sling from prone.

14. urbanrifleman

15. tomswede

tomswede

Just put together a Palma rifle on a LH RR action, lapped the lugs. Just shot a .82 MOA 10 shot group off a sling at 300.
    Have another one in 6XC, same there no issues with just the lugs lapped. Both in Eliseo stocks. The actions do not limit my scores, but I’m a sling shooter so others may have different standards.

Zero333 likes this.
  16. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Ya'll need to shut yer traps. You're going to cost me money.

-Nate

17. eddief

eddief Gold $$ Contributor

They still need to be checked, but receiver threads are light years better concentric and taper wise. Plus all the new ones definitely need to be de-horned. Lots of very sharp edges. Bottom of the feed rails will more than likely destroy brass with no attention.

msinc, butchlambert and Nightraider like this.
  18. butchlambert

Guys, Eddie knows his business.

19. butchlambert

Yes sir, it ain't real clear. I still think with a factory barrel that shooting 4.5"-300 yard 20 shot groups is not bad. Don't care if he is standing, laying, or on a bench. He ain't shooting a comp. rifle.

20. JimT

JimT “I don’t even own a piece of camo!”-Kenny Jarrett Gold $$ Contributor

Totally agree. I just don’t think it’s going to be offhand and certainly if it was no sling would be involved.