New rifle came in finally

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Peebles24, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I picked up my new savage mark2 btv yesterday afternoon. Think i might pull the scope off my 500 s&w mag handi rifle, and go put some rounds on paper. After the 27th i will be putting my Athlon argos BTR 8-34×56 on it and putting a sightron on my fclass rifle.

What kind of ammo should i try in this little rifle. I plan to use it for winter postal league fclass style 50 and 100 yard. I would love to find a ammo it likes i can buy local. I know i want standard velocity. I have a acadamy sports local and a few lgs. I dont think any of them carry wolf match ammo.

Ideas before i head to the store this morning then the range.

Thank you
    Chad

2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

I am very partial to SK or Wolf on the low end and RWS anything on the upper. R50 is fantastic but Target will work. Norma Match-22 is made by RWS (see the headstamp) but priced lower.
    Know that you can tune your rifle to the ammo by playing with torquing the action screws. If that Savage has two, leave the front one at 30 in.Ibs and play with the rear from 5 on up in 5 in.Ib. increments. If only one, start around 15 and move up from there AFTER you get your optic of choice mounted.
    Your barrel will need about 100 rounds to settle in.
    I have glass bedded Savage rimfire actions with good success. I actually added a second action screw by drilling and tapping the rear pillar.

3. Peebles24

It has 2 action screws. I plan to bed it have enough left from last one i did. Figure i will need to bed it befor messing with the torque on action screws. Out of the box the action slides back and forth in the stock, its pathetic for a retail 430 dollar rifle. Its pathetic for the 329 i gave for it i think.

4. Peebles24

Im really glad i dont have a bore scope. I cleaned it before heading out this morning and a few metal shavings came out the bore, savage couldnt be bothered to run a patch through it before boxing?

5. Peebles24

After a trip to the indoor range, hate going there but it was raining all damn day, i put 100 cci standard velocity down the tube. It shoots ok, im sure it needs cleaned good and probably another 100 down the barrel before i see what it really does. Bench at the indoor range is terrible but at least they have 50 yard.

I pulled the shot on target 9.

Shot lots of 5 shot groups right around or under 1/2" so im not disappointed yet. I need to get some wolf match target and some sk ammo.

50 yard on those tiny targets is begging for much more scope that it will get after the 27th.

Attached Files:

6. Rsadams

Rsadams

Always clean any weapon before firing.... You will have to test many different brands of ammo to find what your rifle likes , .22 are very picky , what shoots good in one will not be great in another even the same type of rifle... The good news is you get to go shoot... Congratulations on your new Rifle...

Peebles24 likes this.
  7. Peebles24

Thanks.

I could use a list of what ammo i need to try.

8. 338rumshooter

338rumshooter Gold $$ Contributor

I'm kinda partial to SK also. There was just an article here testing ammo brands, that might be informative.

9. Rsadams

Rsadams

As noted above are all very good choices , on the cheap end of the scale try some CCI standered velocity , it shoots well in a lot of guns for some reason... About all I use for accuracy anymore... It is really a matter of clean your gun , take a box of something out and shoot groups , then clean it again and try something else , till you find what you're looking for... Staying with standered velocity stuff usually gets better results.... But once again , you have to find what it likes... What works good in one .22 may be absolutely horrible in another , even the same make and model of rifle...

pacificman likes this.
  10. Peebles24

Cci standard velocity is what i shot today would group 3 or 4 toucking then fly one or two 1/2" out. However the gun only has 100 shots on it after today.

pirate ammo likes this.
  11. Rsadams

Rsadams

Clean it and try again , check the torque spec on the action , scope etc... Even a slight wind can move .22lr...

12. RetiredArmy

RetiredArmy Silver $$ Contributor

My mkii likes Norma match. (White box)

13. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

you let that kid of yours shoot it, you'll lose it ,too.

Peebles24 and pacificman like this.
  14. pacificman

pacificman

My mark II liked the Federal 38 gr. copper plated standard velocity stuff :rolleyes:....But like Rsadams mentioned
    you need to try some different ammo to find what YOUR rifle likes. It can be fun experimenting to find that
    best ammo ...but I stumbled on the federal stuff and have just kept buying it to shoot. I'm not shooting in
    any competition so all is well in my case.:D I have killed a ton of prairie rats with it though..:p:D

15. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

My Mk2 FVSR likes Center X a lot, followed by Norma Match, and CCI Standard.

16. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Nope.

17. Peebles24

I placed a order with grafs for 10 different boxes of 50 all "match" ammo.

pirate ammo likes this.
  18. pirate ammo

who's going to shoot it,,better wait till that kids at school,,:rolleyes:

Peebles24 likes this.
  19. Peebles24

No shit. He is 14 has every advantage over my old ass. Hell i had a retnial barricade done 7 years ago on my shooting eye that has never healed right. Im right handed left eye dominate on top of the surgery. Ugh...

So i already have cci standard velocity i can buy local
    Ordered all 40 gr
    Aguila match
    Cascade ctg
    Eley tenex eps rifle red box hope it dont like this
    Eley target rifle yellow box
    Federal gold match
    Fiocchi rifle match
    Lapua center-x
    Norma match
    Sk rifle match red box
    Wolf match extra

Other than the eley tenex at 18.00 per 50 they are all fairly close in price so hope it loves one of them except the tenex stuff :D that was 87.00 for 500 rounds:confused:
    Let my son shoot the ones it dont like. He has a mossberg 715T he may shoot the postal league with me but will be with his rifle 4x scope and all i need some advantage.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    pirate ammo likes this.
  20. pirate ammo

but you must remember, he has his own Talisman, you may be toast no matter what he shoots,,:confused:

Peebles24 likes this.