New Records for Scope rifles XTC

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by jpuignau, Jul 12, 2018.

1. jpuignau

jpuignau

Hi All-

Should we consider record scores shot with scope rifles for XTC to be "new" records? Or maybe have two different classes iron sights and scope? Is not the same game is it? Or, do you think we just keep it the same?

jP

2. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Records should be separate. They have always been separated by scope/irons for long range, mid range, and Smallbore, sonit only stands to reason that OTC would be separated also.

dc.fireman, corning and gibrass like this.
  3. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Not a big fan of optics, but good luck with that one. You'd have better luck telling all the F-TR folks to start shooting 155's ;)

4. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

Good point.

Also, there was a time when only the 30 06 cartridge was allowed in XTC (sometime in the 1960s the 308 was allowed due to the military adopting the M14). Soon after that the rules allowed "sub-calibers" and the arms race began.

It would be interesting to know if the records have been kept separate for the sub-calibers vs. the 30 caliber. If so then there is some president for keeping them separate for scope vs. irons in addition to your examples.

5. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Not going to happen, since scopes and irons are shot in the same category (if that is the right wording); the shooter has the choice of sights and may handicap him/herself voluntarily by choosing irons.

6. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, I never suggested that it was going to happen, but it should have. The NRA did not put enough thought into this rule change before passing it.

7. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Believe that the NRA was kinda forced into it because the CMP went that direction. Cannot state this with complete authority, but it my understanding is that one of the military teams told the CMP, "hey, we train our soldiers with optics and that's the direction we are heading". CMP made optics a go and NRA followed suit across the Service Rifle division as well as the Match Rifle class for NMC.

8. Downhill

Downhill

It's just progress. Optics will not turn a marksman into a master. Will there be slightly higher scores? Yep. A plus is it allows competitors with aging eyes to stay in the game. With participation in steady decline, the sport needs things like this to keep it afloat. Look at the average hair color (or lack of hair) at the next match. We need the optics and new ideas to attract the younger crowd. Separate class? Don't really know. But I do not see anyone shooting the National Trophy Match with a 1903 Springfield with ball ammo anymore either.

Mikey_P and hpshooter like this.
  9. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Times are changing …:D
    The two ? top Iron sight makes in the US no longer make sights ? Warner and Right Sight.
    For older shooters the scope will keep them in the game.

I myself at 70 + still love to shoot ( my rifle). I am slipping to the dark side...………….F/TR :eek:

Good Luck :)
    They did change the Target and Classification for F-Class ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Slngruki, Damfino and Downhill like this.
  10. jpuignau

jpuignau

I understand the progress/movement to optics, that's fine. My point is that record scores shot with iron sights should not be consider the same as those shot with optics. I feel they should be consider as different disciplines for XTC as they are in mid and long range.

jP

Mr. Ten-X and corning like this.
  11. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

They just followed the Military. They all use scopes now, so how is it that you are upset bout Service Rifles with iron sights competing with 4X scopes. Those so called iron sights (Civilian) have always had a power booster in the rear or front sight.

Don likes this.
  12. jpuignau

jpuignau

All I am trying to say/discuss is that we now have a different discipline for XTC, one that uses optics. And, as such records shot with optics both Service And Match rifles should not be consider the same as those shot with iron sights. The NRA should therefore, create different records and keep them separate.

Just to be clear, this is a discussion about RECORDS/SCORES, not about optics vs iron sights.

jP

Mr. Ten-X and corning like this.
  13. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Not in mine. One drop of rain in a match and you can be hosed.

dc.fireman and hpshooter like this.
  14. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Gold $$ Contributor

There are not enough shooters to cover the categories they have now. So no separation will be had I had the same concerns about the start in position rule versus Stand and drop. And of course the big versus little bulls had their concerns. There is no separate record keeping for match rifle versus service rifle. Make the participants increase tenfold and there could be a chance but current numbers will not support that.

swehrman, Downhill and hpshooter like this.
  15. Reedie308

Reedie308