New Product Announcement From 21st Century Shooting!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Petros284, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Petros284

Petros284

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. jackbrownii

jackbrownii Gold $$ Contributor

So, what is it? Please give at least a quick text summary so I can decide if I want to bother with a video...

3. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Clever piece of work....Question: Do the inside and outside chamfers meet, or is there a flat at the end of the neck? Just curious.

Petros284 likes this.
  4. Petros284

Petros284

No they do not meet. Inside cutter is at 17 degrees and outside is around 15. When set up properly there is a nice smooth chatter free flat trim at the end. I personally set some on the optical comparator the other day after trimming and they were perfect! The chamfers are just as clean and concentric around the diameters. This means smooth bullet entry with no jacket damage during seating and the more the bullet is concentric to the case mouth. I’ll try to post some pictures if I can get clear ones showing this!

JayHHI6818, Immike and thekriebles like this.
  5. Petros284

Petros284

It is a 3 way case trimming accessory kit for the 21st Century lathes. Thanks!

jackbrownii likes this.
  6. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Excellent! Thanks.

Petros284 likes this.
  7. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I use a lot of 21st Century products and love the quality. Turning tools, primer pocket uniformer, arbor press, etc...All very nice quality for the money.

However, not to offend in any way, but for the price of the 3-way trimmer, I'll definitely be sticking with my old tried and true method for power trimming an prepping case mouths. I went on the 21st website thinking "I'll drop $300 on a setup like that". But I was hit hard with 'sticker shock' when I saw the price. $700 (or $500 for the conversion) to save a little bit of time on each case is really hard for me to justify.

I'm sure it's a great product tho ;)

nmkid likes this.
  8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Will the mandrel accept different amounts of neck tension (slightly different neck IDs) without a problem? How critical is fit on the mandrel to how well it functions?

Rushty likes this.
  9. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with your post. Being retired and not lacking for time, I'll stay with my old methods. The product does address the issue of, a prefect concentric chamfer, (which has always bugged me) However, as you stated, this is not a bash on 21st Century products. They make some outstanding stuff!! Would I like to own one...Without a doubt! Last time I was on their site they didn't offer a case trimmer, (don't know if they do now). Now that would save my "tired" fingers and I would have to own one.

10. _Raining

_Raining

Looks neat. Seems slower to do 100 rounds vs a Giraud but looks like it might be faster to change calibers. I also like how there is a hard stop vs indexing off the shoulder. I don't see the option for 6mm, is that a typo or are you just no longer taking preorders on the 6mm?

muleystalker likes this.
  11. Sniper338

Sniper338

Pricey thats for sure... each trim mandel for a caliber change I was quoted $75 a mandrel... pretty freaking steep..

So 195 for the trim attachment and 75 for each mandrel after that... look at an easy $650 for this attachment, not including every size caliber...

12. Petros284

Petros284

Boyd. The arbor is sized .001” smaller than the turning arbor. If properly expanded with our expander mandrels there should be no problem. The arbors are also polished for an ultra smooth finish.

13. Petros284

Petros284

Yes we have the 6mm. Something happened during the site upload. We will get that fixed as soon as possible.

14. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I use the K&M chamfer tool on my serious rounds. Can adjust depth of the cut and it uses the face of the case mouth and the flash hole to keep the cutter square and centered. Works very well for getting nice seamless concentric cuts so VLD bullets slide in nice and smooth without any damage.

For my varmint rounds I just use the RCBS 3-Way trimmer head. Been around for a long time. Its a little rougher tool, but it works great for making all 3 cuts at once and my varmint rifles are all extremely accurate with the cases it cuts.

Willie likes this.
  15. Petros284

Petros284

Boyd. We measured the cutter and the angles are actually 10 degrees on both inside and outside. Creating a deeper chamfer without taking away the integrity of the case mouth and eliminating any jacket damage.

Thanks
    Pete

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Immike likes this.
  16. Petros284

Petros284

Here are some unaltered images I just took of trimmed brass. Hard to get close ups but you should get the idea! These are ones I did during the filming of the video.

Attached Files:

Immike and thekriebles like this.