NEW Powder Dispenser TESTS!

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Forum Boss, Mar 19, 2005.

1. 3sixbits

3sixbits

How long ago did Promethius go under?
    Does anyone know if they have plans on going back into business?

2. billt

billt

I have been using my Lyman DPS 1200,,version 1), for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier. I'm not getting any of this "speed" business? If you are that in a hurry to throw charges from any of these units, do what I do. I have a set of Lee Powder Dippers.,$6.00 most places). I select a dipper about 5 grains or so under the charge I want, dump it into the pan, and let the machine top it off. It's fast, and saves wear and tear on the unit. Most all of these units have the same type of electronic circuitry. The "warm up", while important, is easy to work around. I simply turn on the unit when I wake up if I know I'll be reloading that day. After I have coffee and shower and get dressed, the unit is plenty warm. Even if you decide to reload on a whim, by the time you get everything out, dies set, loading blocks and brass ready to go, the unit will be more than warm enough. Bill T.

3. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

BillT,

Thats a real good idea using a powder dipper.

Also Lyman has an ugrade kit that supposedly increases the speed.

Re Wildcat's report--I'm glad he's having good luck with the PACT. I have to say that drift is common to PACTs also--it just seems to vary with individual units.

I found out mine drifted when I was weighing bullets and the phone rang. I left a bullet in the pan that registered 104.9 grains. I came back 25 minutes later and the bullet, still sitting in the pan, was 105.2.

I then went back through the previous dozen bullets,I was measuring 50 for a test so I'd written down all the individual weights), and, you guessed it--they were all off 0.3 grains.

I now warm up the machine for 30 minutes minimum and I calibrate the machine with check weights every dozen charges or so. Yep, it's time consuming, but I've noticed that it helps.

4. billt

billt

Another thing you can use is the shot dipper from an old Lee Shotshell Loader. They have a "false bottom" that can be lowered or raised into detentes to vary shot loads dispensed for the Lee Hand Shotshell Loader. I have one I bought back in 1972 that's been just sitting. I finally found a use for at least part of it. It's the main reason I never sell anything gun related. Bill T.

5. CAT977

CAT977

I have the 1200 3 and have had no problems, it is more than fast enough for me, I use the scale to weigh everything from brass to bullets, wanted the RCBS unit but didnt have the other $60

6. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

i want to know more about the hornady unit, like if it is worth the money? I love my rcbs!! Lee

7. 4PopCropp

4PopCropp

I'd like to see a similar review of manual powder dispensers to compare the various Redding, RCBS, Lyman and Hornady units, as well as higher end/priced bench rest units like Harrel's.

Great review, thanks.

8. shot410

shot410

I purchased a PACK about a year ago. I have to say the unit takes about 2-3 minutes to calibrate itself, then for 30 grains of Varget, 20 seconds per round. The weight is either right on or 1/10 under. Very seldom over. Occasionally the unit will drift if a fan is on and moving air is hitting the scale. But, that's about the only issue. It's very easy to dump the powder when I'm done, it takes maybe a half a minute. I'm pleased with the PACK performance, and would recommend the unit..

9. louielouie

louielouie

I've been using the Hornady dispenser for a couple of months now and I'm pretty happy with it. Like the RCBS, Hornady doesn't publish all the special key sequences to modify default parameters but once you got those, you'll find that you can get pretty darn good results. Like the RCBS, a MacDonalds straw in the tube helps dispensing a bit but even on 'slow' speed there will be a clump that will drop and push your charge to +0.1 of your target value. This will not throw an 'error' beep like +0.2 will (since the tolerance is +/- 0.1 grains) but when it does, the dispenser will halt and require you to intervene by pushing 'ENTER' on the keypad.
    I've only used it with H4831SC & RL-17 so I don't know how well spherical or flake powders will dispense. I use two marble floor tiles with silicone feet and the $5 Starret bubble level from Midway for isolation & leveling. I am pleased with the new level of accuracy I've been able to achieve so I'd call it a "good buy".

10. mj2evans

mj2evans

Hornady's website has FAQ on setting the trickle speed of the dispencer. This has greatly helped the overthrows with H4831SC for me. 4831 has been tricky to get right vs. RL15 but I am happy with unit (after getting the trickle speed set).

11. louielouie

louielouie

Yes, CAL & UNIT will change trickle speed but MODE (they don't mention it on the web site) changes the amount under your target value that it switches from high speed to low speed - I usually use 0.6 ~ 0.8 to avoid overruns.

12. hoverp

hoverp

All I can say is if you buy a digital you better goet one with a warrenty and make sure the warrenty startswhen you GET the scale not when they sold it to whomever redistobuted it..

My Acculab Vicon 303 was a great strain guage scale that was repeatable down to .001. and yes it would consistantly , and easily show the .02 grain difference as you dribbled one kernel of 4350 at a time into the pan. I really liked it until one day we had some static buildup from the wind here in town and I opened the dust cover and touched the pan and it shocked it into submission...I mean a tiny static charge from me to the scale and it was done... showed OL and would never reset.,

I called ACCULAB and of course the 303 was discontinued...they are way behind in production of the new one and I have no Idea when the new one will ship. She told me since the scale was sold in 08 that it was not covered...even though I purchased it Sept of 09. I whined bit and she put me on the list to get a new one

she didnt want the old one back to see if they could fix it or anything...

this is (was ) a 350 dollar scale and now I sit and wait.....hmmmm

13. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

MT,
    You may be surprised about the static energy a human body can collect, and discharge into an unsuspecting semiconductor!

After 50 years as a design engineer of analog IC's, static discharge is a real problem.

That said, I cannot believe the scale cannot be fixed. See if the MFG will supply a schematic of the measuring circuit. I'll bet the IC's are standard off the shelf units and can be replaced by a careful, competent technician.

14. Jammer Six

Jammer Six

This thread was started more than ten years ago, but the subject is still relevant.

Is RCBS still the one to buy?