New Lapua brass oversized?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by agshooter, Jul 3, 2019.

1. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not sure if I'm OCD, old school, or I just keep doing what I've always been told because I don't know any better, but I always run new brass through a KM expander mandrel then FL size them in a FL bushing die with the button removed. My thinking on FL sizing new brass is that way they all start out equally the same size.

P1ZombieKiller and Snuggie like this.
  2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Take a full length sizing die and cut about .100" off the bottom of the die and then run a drill that is about .010" larger in diameter than the shoulder. Now you can size to the shell holder to a smaller diameter.

R.Morehouse likes this.
  3. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

All I've ever done is run the new ones over a Lee .241 mandrel, then load and shoot. The necks can be awful tight if you don't. Never any problem. With this report maybe I ought to start making sure they'll chamber in the future:mad:

4. gme

gme Site $$ Sponsor

never had the issue with the old gold box brass but I have heard that some guys needed to run the blue box through a sizing die first.

agshooter likes this.
  5. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

Like an old 308 full length die?

6. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Gold $$ Contributor

Anytime you are dealing with custom chambered rifles it is a good idea to process new brass to the rifle before loading to FF. Many gunsmiths like to cut really tight chambers so you are working to the minimum end of brass manufacturing tolerances. You may have gotten some brass that ran to the high side of manufacturing tolerances. Actually I would prefer sorta fat brass because you can then make it what you want.

7. tomswede

tomswede

As an Engineer I don’t understand why build rifles to or even below min to “ save the brass”. Build to nominal, everything will fit ( should actually fit on the min also), then size to fit the chamber. I’m sure that new Lapua brass will fit any chamber that is actually within spec ( never had an issue myself, but my sample is to small to be valid). This applies to headspace.

damoncali likes this.
  8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You could make a 308 work if you cut and drilled properly for the BR brass.

9. L W P

L W P

I can't speak for 6BR Lapua brass, because I haven't loaded any in a while, but my 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass have been very tight on the necks. So tight that I use an oversized mandrel with Imperial Dry Lube on both calibers. Then the spring back gives me the correct tension, with the virgin brass.

10. David101

David101

I had exactly the same with 308 Palma brass. I was not impressed we pay the extra for Lapua expecting the extra. Sent an email off to them. The reply was that they have sent it to production or some department no further information. I bought 4 boxs all the same lot all over the place not so impressed.