New Lapua brass - can I just load it or ???

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by mjgillen, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Macropod

Macropod

It is what it is. Seating force varies considerably with virgin Lapua brass. After it is correctly annealed that issue goes away.

ShootDots likes this.
  2. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I've never had any issues shooting it right out of the box. That's not to say there isn't a difference, but I can say that it's a small one. I also never anneal, as I don't think it's helpful. Milage may vary. Right reserved to be wrong.

3. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

I'm with ShootDots, on his procedure. I run a couple of .296 necked 6.5s, so I also turn for .004" clearance. On the .297"no turn 6.5s, I still turn. I love Lapua brass AFTER it's been properly prepped. My experience is that it's not gonna shoot near as well out of the box.

ShootDots likes this.
  4. RampedRaptor

RampedRaptor Silver $$ Contributor

This is what I do with new Lapua brass and really is good practice with all brass. However, I do not do step 3 or 8, I'm too lazy to anneal new brass and just assume it won't be perfect the first firing. I do anneal every firing after the first firing. Be careful with step 2 because it is possible to "skim" too much and then you will be unnecessarily overworking your brass when resizing. This is assuming you have a no turn chamber.

5. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

I had decent results just trimming for length and deburring. Also, check the necks for dents. They are very soft and get dented in shipment. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. YMMV.

6. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy

Late to this post but some times life gets in the way of pleasure. Any way yesterday I fl sized 100 Lapua 308 cases (brand new) and 40% were tight and about half of that were very tight through a brand new RCBS comp. die. So yes IMO all brass regardless of maker should be sized first.
    ASSUME nothing

7. Macropod

Macropod

Are you using a small base die? The reason I ask is I've just prepped 200 new Lapua cases and they are barely touching the case.