New F-Class 600 Yard Target

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Petros284, Dec 8, 2017.

1. XTR

XTR

We've had some pretty significant thread drift here.

I think this is why F-TR doesn't get recognized in some matches run by MDs that come from the sling side (and many of them do). It's not anything malicious, it's just differnet from what has been done for sling shooters for ever.

I for one have always wondered why there wasn't equal recognition for SR shooters in long range matches. They really aren't competing with the Any rifles or the Palma rifles.

Jdne5b and Immike like this.
  2. Earl338

Earl338

First of I see a lot of comments about changing the target, rember there is A lot more involved than just changing the target. Think of the match drectors or the clubs that have to run the matches when you change the target or add a target you just added another tar get for inventory of that club and targets are expinseve.
    It makes more work for the club to run the matches,i know that a lot of you folks will come to the pits and help change the targets at the match and that helps.
    Also think that the targets used we have have to have targets for sling shooters they are also part of long range matches also, we doint have enough of sling shooters or enough f-class shooters to make it a seperate match day. Rember that your match sponsers are the ones that make things jo.
    Yes I will never forget the sling shooters in this dicisson as I was one for 40 + years and would still shoot sling if I could
    EARL

3. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

An older gentleman at our club once made the comment that there should be a rule that competitors had to organize and *run* at least three full matches before they could get their "High Master" card... it'd go a long way toward making them understand that this stuff doesn't just 'happen' on its own.

@Earl338 you need to work on pushing that thru the Committee ;)

Berger.Fan222, BobLor, Heman and 3 others like this.
  4. RStewart

RStewart FTR and FPR Competitor Silver $$ Contributor

We have ones we use for all matches other than Registered ones. We have ones that cover the X and ones that cover out to the 9 ring.

Berger.Fan222 likes this.
  5. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

Earl,
    Since you are on etargets you can upload the new targets on the server and keep the old targets on the frame!

Shep1 likes this.
  6. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

So without reading 9 pages of this mess has there been an official change in the 600 yard Fclass target?

7. kzin

kzin

short answer - no

There was some confusion about how a center should be spec'ed or some such minutiae and most of the thread was about other stuff.

8. PracticalTactical

PracticalTactical

I really don't care how small they make the scoring rings... as long as they keep the X in the middle.

But seriously... I've been shooting F Class since the V-Bull (here in Canada) was 1 MOA minus the bullet diameter... But guys started shooting perfect scores and tie breakers would go on for a long time.

I remember shooting a match on the 1 MOA V bull where I fired 60 shots per day for 2 days... 120 shots total... I missed the V-bull 3 times and the missed shots were my first, second and third on score, on the first relay. Never dropped a V after that for 2 days. That was with a 223 BTW. Granted the weather was favorable.

Guys have gotten a lot better than that since and now guys are shooting near perfect scores on the 1/2 MOA X Ring as Americans call it. So it's inevitable that the targets will get smaller… they have to to compensate for technological advancements and the near vertical learning curve offerred to shooters these days through forums like this and the internet in general.

When I started competing we learned by theorizing, experimenting and spending plenty of our own cash... Much of it on things that didn't work very well. These days a guy with the patience to read is spoon fed what took us years to learn. Granted not everything can be learned by reading alone, but I've seen studious newbs show up and win matches, so if he gets it, he can put it to practice.

What I'd personally like to see is the elimination of slighter shots. That would separate the men from the boys.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

Just read the very 1st post and look at the picture on page 1 of this thread...it explains everything. The rest is superfluous.

10. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

No need to change the target to increase the challenge...just change to worst edge scoring.