New "EDGE" bag legal for IBS?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by John Rambo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. John Rambo

John Rambo

dmoran likes this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

For IBS-600/1000 - as long as your making no more then a 1/2" of contact to the sides of the stock, and not coming over the top restricting/trapping upward motion, it should be good to go - IMO
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Donavan pretty much repeated what I would have said thanks Donavan.PS that's probably the first time he an I agreed on anything lol.

4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Bags are not illegal (so long as they meet for/aft dimensions and all commonly available do) Its how they are used that can be a problem. While that bag is legal, it will be very hard to use it and be legal. Its going to have more than 1/2" of vertical contact as well as trap the gun unless you do some tinkering.

dmoran and John Rambo like this.
  5. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Gold $$ Contributor

Line 1223 "Rifles will be removable from their front rests without lifting any part of the front rest from its contact points with the bench it is occupying."

Above is the new rule explanation in Rule Book 13. If you are running a Seb Max at 40 lbs it is going to take a hell of a lot to lift that rest "off the bench". Add a 25 lb bag of lead shot and as long as you maintain the 1/2 inch, it it can be locked down pretty damn tight now before lifting 60 plus lbs.

The Edge ears are probably going to make contact more than 1/2 inch, but your stock may differ, particularily if someone is running a 4 or 5 inch foreend and the outside edges are away from the main barrel channel part of the stock.

That was a significant change by the LRC that most did not catch before voting on it and just one of many.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  6. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

What would be the advantage of buying a bag with 3 or 4 inch vertical ears if only the bottom 1/2 inch can touch the stock? Sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

brians356 likes this.
  7. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

It doesn't say only the bottom 1/2 inch can touch anywhere in the book.

Tom

dmoran and tmwinds like this.
  8. Pappy42

Pappy42 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a hard time just picking up my Seb max; no way with Max plus rifle. So what is the age limit for who has to pick the front rest with the rifle? I get all of the trick equipment and a shooter without it still kicks my rear end!

9. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

This sandbag upon which the stock or part thereof rests is permitted to wrap upward around the sides of the rifle, for no more than 1/2 inch maximum.
    rules do not apply to any sandbag not supported by retainer and that permits movement without restraint.

Joe Salt

10. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Most all of the stocks I see are flared out at the bottom with only a 1/2" or less of contact possible. Doubt many are straight up flat on the sides. If so, lift it up and the rest stays right there. Legal.

11. Joe Salt

you got it!

Joe Salt

12. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

While I agree that this could probably be less ambiguous....
    "Wherever the rifle make
    s contact on its sides there may a maximum one
    half inch in height and a minimum of one half inch thick on each side."

13. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@Joe Salt
    The OP is asking if the bag is legal for IBS. You quoted Penn1000 rules, which is different then the IBS's (and are not comparable to what could be deemed legal or not).
    Here is IBS-600/1000:

"Whenever the rifle makes contact on its sides, there may be a maximum of sand one-half inch high and a minimum of one-half thick on each side.

No device of any kind can restrict the upward and/or rearward movement of the rifle.

Rifles will be removable from their front rests without lifting any part of the front rest from its contact points with the bench it is occupying.
    "

From which I believe there is some stock designs being used in the IBS (and NBRSA) that would not be legal under Penn1000 rules, do to the indifference's in the wording to each set of rules.
    Donovan

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Copy\paste from IBS rulebook #13.

Sandbag. A sand bag is defined as a bag with or without a pedestal, with a leather, cloth or synthetic cover that is capable of being easily flexed by the fingers. They may contain a dry finely divided nonmetallic substance such as, but not limited to, “Heavy Sand”, sand, gravel or grain, without additive and packed loosely enough that bag can be easily deformed by pressure of the fingers. The cover of the sand bags must not be bound in such a manner to prohibit free movement of the contents. Lubricants on the sand bag may be used. Front and rear rest sandbags must be such that when lifting the rifle from the rests, the rests does not lose any contact from the bench it is occupying. Vertical spacers under a rear bag are allowed as long as they do not contain any protrusions which can be inserted into the bench top or a sandbag.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. DT

DT

I don't see the bag as being legal for IBS 600 & 1,000 yard competition because of the way the ears curve inward and would "restrict" the upward movement of the rifle.

16. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Well if a shooter is a respectable person that wants to comply with the rules an this is the only front sandbag he had he would make sure he was in compliance with the rules regardless of how tall his ears were it is called improvise overcome an adapt an if he shows up at a match referees will be watching.

17. Joe Salt

Donovan I guarantee you IBS & PA are the same rules or should I say mean the same thing, ( Have to watch the way I say thing people take things like your pissed or something) IBS took our rules back in the 90's when there 1000 yard matches started in North Carolina & Virginia! If there is a half inch of sand under the rifle and it can be lifted upward without disturbing the rest it's legal! Did you have a stock in mind that couldn't do that. They just don't want you to trap the stock buy squeezing the ears in on the stock. Stopping upward or rearward movement.

Joe Salt

18. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Joe, you guys have changed a couple rules since the 1960's. The IBS changes rules like underwear, they are no longer "exactly" the same.;)

Tom

Stan Taylor and dmoran like this.
  19. One Shot One Thrill

One Shot One Thrill Gold $$ Contributor

You only need to worry about it if you plan on winning regular.

tom likes this.
  20. One Shot One Thrill

One Shot One Thrill Gold $$ Contributor

Lord I apologize!

tom likes this.