New Build Questions

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by JDBraddy, May 7, 2018.

1. JDBraddy

JDBraddy Silver $$ Contributor

Am in the planning stage of a possible new build, Have a partially inletted stock that's the sister of the one below, and a Borden BRLXD with two bolts .470" and .540" coming. Was thinking of building a big sister to my F-Class Rifle below, built on BRMXD with barrels in straight .284 and 6-Dasher.

[​IMG]

I was thinking about a gun for ELR, but have no experience with it. I think this action is too small for Chey-Tak's and the like, and some fellows I talked to recently building guns for the King of Two Mile competition said their builds where upwards of $15K, which is beyond my financial means. Since I have these components already, was thinking 1500-2000yd might be within reach with cartridges like the larger .300 or .338 magnums. Haven't decided on anything yet, ideas, advice & suggestions welcome.

simo hayha likes this.
  2. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I priced out a nice .338 Lapua with all the bells and whistles designed to shoot out to 1.5 miles or so. The total rang in at about $9000 including a bipod and suppressor (which I think is a required piece of safety gear for the large bore magnums), but not including any reloading gear or components (which are pricey - $2.50+ per case, and the bullets can run over a dollar depending on what you shoot). It's not a cheap endeavor. The cheytacs and other limit-pushing stuff are even more. You'll be in at least $7k jut to get started. That's for a nice custom with a good scope - similar in quality to what you have pictured.

3. Sniper338

Sniper338

300 Norma
    338 lapua
    300 lapua
    300 WSM
    7 SAUM

Honestly I would do either a 7 saum or 300 WSM in an F class configuration... to be able to use it in f class too...

The bigger rounds well case length starts coming into play more... and bigger actions..

If you wanna play that long Id build 375 cheytac or a varient and nothing smaller... The 375 bullets have prooved their worth a "few times" already at ELR. Guys running 338 lapuas dont seem to be holding up in those competitions from what I'VE seen..

simo hayha and damoncali like this.
  4. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Depends on altitude too. If you are up at a mile plus elevation it helps a lot. If that’s the case a fast twist 7mm Mag pushing the heavier high BC bullets can do it, maybe the new ELD-M? A long barrel can help too but that might go against using it for F-class too. You can also try some higher velocity but still high BC bullets such as Warner Tool Flat Line in 151 gr, .334 G7 BC. My friend uses their .375 bullets with his CheyTac and he likes them. I have an accurate load around 0.6 or so with the 255.5 gr for my 24” El Cheapo Savage 338 LM but I want to find a higher velocity accuracy node when I start reloading them myself - what I have now will not do much better than my 3.76 COAL Hunting Shack factory ammo in the 300 gr Bergers. Good luck and have fun.

5. JDBraddy

JDBraddy Silver $$ Contributor

Of the cartridges you list only the 300 WSM, and 7 RSAUM will fit a .540 bolt face, both go subsonic around 1400-1600yds. My .284 will reach that 1400 before going subsonic. Even the big .338 Lapua goes subsonic around 1,850yds. So looks like ELR would not be practicle without a bigger action. So your suggestion is probably the best choice.

Sniper338 likes this.
  6. Sniper338

Sniper338

Lots of us get caught up in wanting a rifle for everything... I built a custom 338 lapua... To date I have no reason to go bigger. If I had money to blow heck yes Id build an ELR rifle... but I dont.. Theres a point of beyond whats practicle to really be able to USE. The 338 lapua gets out far enough for me, and it gives me hunting capabilities for longer shots on bigger animals... I cant justify anything bigger, I dont shoot my 338 enough as it is... plus I cant get anywhere regularly enough to stretch it out pretty far anyways...

BUT different story if your really wanting to do ELR competitions and go shoot em a lot to make it worth it...

Just saying think it through, thats all.. when you go big its expensive, and expensive to feed!!!!

feeding a 338 lapua is bad enough.
    $250 lapua brass (100)
    $83 a box of bullet (100)
    $32 a pound of powder (98.5gr each case)
    $7-8 primer (100)

dies were $250+
    other case specific load stuff, another easy $300-$500... (shell holder, brass trimming, neck tools, etc...

justified price comes down after a few reloads on the brass, but you never get cheap to shoot..

284winner and simo hayha like this.
  7. Sniper338

Sniper338

then multiply that all X2 when you go bigger..

8. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

For a Borden BRLXD Action I feel that the previous posters have given some pretty accurate advice. That action is sized for approx. a 30 Nosler caliber as far as maximum length for good functionality. And as has been stated ELR isn’t a bargain basement type proposition. There are plenty of other disciplines that you could engage and probably be satisfied with such as F-class and 1000 yard BR. If you are interest there will be a E2k shoot in August in Townsend, MT where 2000 yards will be the range distance and I’d expect a variety of calibers to be competing. Course of fire will be for group (5 shots) and score on the MR-1 size target. There are some threads posted here, in the ELR and Balistics Sub-forum to gain more information if that is something your interested in. 3 different classes, 2 of which will be bi-pod shooting from the prone position and 1 in unlimited from a bench.

Good Luck & Good Shooting - Ron -

Last edited: May 8, 2018