New build 6br v 6br improved v 6-6.5×47L

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Pwhite11798, Aug 28, 2017.

1. offgrid

offgrid

Just recently had my 7th and 8th Dasher barrel chambered by MCR-Rifles (jelrod1 here on the board) on a older Bighorn and TL3. Have Jonathon number my barrels, keep track of things. Several thousand rounds of Dasher using AICS 10rd mags with the feed lips slightly bent, no other modifications, feeds 100%. Many other Dashers around me on various actions, all feed great.

Previous to the Dashers shot out 4 6x47 barrels. Dasher vs 6x47. Dasher easily shoots inside the 6x47's, longer barrel life, lower recoil for positional shooting, easier to tune, silly easy. Very easy decision for me, Dasher!

https://s30.postimg.org/3tjpnz4td/DAsher_7_8.jpg

Sheldon N likes this.
  2. offgrid

offgrid

OP, big thing you need to pay attention to is the reamer specs. Not just the neck OD and freebore... Need to get the .200 line diameter right! Lot of the reamers are .4704-.4708 at the .200 line, that will be a problem after a few firings because most of the available dies will not size the base enough, will get false pressure signs and the dreaded bolt click. Reamer used on my chambers, .4720 at the .200 line, I'm using a Harrels D4 FL bushing die, works great! Brass is coming out fired at .4710, Harrels D4 size to .4695 with Lapua brass.

Here's a good read. Alex Wheeler's suggestion for reamer specs is spot on.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-dasher-norma-fl-sizer-die.3906729/page-5

3. ncboiler

ncboiler

I have heard of guys that have a hard time getting a 6x47 to shoot but never a Dasher. A lot of guys say a lot of things that may or may not be true, or only have partial truths in them. Just stories passed around.

Grimstod likes this.
  4. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I am fairly certain that Dashers and easier to tune and more forgiving than 6x47 Lapua. That said, I'm waiting on my 2nd 6x47 Lapua to be completed.

5. Pwhite11798

Pwhite11798 Silver $$ Contributor

Just ordered a dasher reamer from jgs and spect .200 line @ .4715

JBT likes this.
  6. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

It seems that most of the guys complaining about trying to get the 6 by 47 Lapua to shoot with the Dashers are the thousand-yard and 600-yard benchrest guys shooting all out BR rigs. They are probably right in that domain. ....but for most guys who are building hunting rigs and PRS rigs, I think they would be well served with a 6 by 47 Lapua. ( full disclosure, I have never shot a PRS event) I think the shooter needs to weigh the accuracy needs.... do you really really need that last 1/10th MOA that you may pick up shooting a Dasher.

Just my .02,
    Tod

RDavies and JBT like this.
  7. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

The Dasher for PRS isn't just about the last 1/10 MOA, though that's a nice thing to have. The other big draws are having a lower recoil round which is great for positional shooting from unstable barricades and spotting your misses, plus getting quick follow up shots and having a round that gives you a longer barrel life where the velocity and dope doesn't change, less need to keep tuning and adding powder to chase velocity over the life of the cartridge.

8. 6xcshooter

6xcshooter

Plus 1 ^^^
    Ihave 2 6x47 lapuas hard to find a consistent load for em. I'm thinking the 6 creedmore is a better choice. I also have a dasher repeater, feeding ain't the problem there, it's ejection.

9. 6xcshooter

6xcshooter

also plus 1, same reason in my 1st reply

WyleWD likes this.
  10. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Are you telling me there's a noticeable difference between the 6 by 47 and the Dasher when it comes to recoil? I think not

As far as Barrel life, once you figure in all the fire forming you have to do with the Dasher it's about a tie.

This coming from a guy who LOVES the Dasher and has four of them.

11. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

There's two kinds of recoil... the kind you feel with your shoulder and the kind you see in the scope as to how far off target you were when shooting free recoil off a wobbly as eff barricade when you are trying to spot your misses and get a good wind call. It's the latter one where you notice the difference.

Last match we had to shoot off the top of a T post. Talk about a crappy shooting position where it was tough as hell to spot your impacts, even with a Dasher.

Pwhite11798 likes this.
  12. Pwhite11798

Pwhite11798 Silver $$ Contributor

Your absolutely correct. That's what got me started into looking at 6mm instead of my 6.5x47 lapua. Its shooting in free recoil from the barricades that gets me on the follow through. If I time it just right and put my shoulder into it after I shoot its not so bad. But that's not always an option.