New build 6br v 6br improved v 6-6.5×47L

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Pwhite11798, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Pwhite11798

Pwhite11798 Silver $$ Contributor

Looking at a new build thinking of some in the 6 br family or 6x47L. Pros and cons opinions and experience. Noticed Norma makes brass for the dasher. Rifle will be used for prs type shooting.

2. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

6x47 Lapua is a solid choice for PRS. Some guys are doing well with the dasher now too.

Personally I would use Lapua 6BR brass if I ran a Dasher and fireform.

3. Pwhite11798

Yeah a lot of guys are shooting dtacs. And I was really wanting to find out what type of velocities to expect from a 6br. I was hoping to get to the 3100 fps range with a high bc 6mm.

4. Sheldon N

Sheldon N Silver $$ Contributor

Dasher is dominating PRS in our neck of the woods. All the national level shooters are running it or some other BR variant.

Don't need to chase velocity, most of them are running a 105 at around 2950fps or a 110 Sierra at 2900ish. Match last weekend had 4 dashers in the top 7 finishers, winner was running Dasher at 2920ish with the 105's. I was 4th place running a Dasher at 2955fps. Pretty well contested match, 60 shooters including 5 who were in the top 50 on the national circuit either this year or last year.

Big reason guys are moving toward Dasher is less recoil (spot your shots, stay on target) and more load/velocity consistency over a longer barrel life, plus great accuracy. I've got a couple Dasher barrels, also going to try a 6 BRA to see how that runs. Easier fireforming and pretty close to Dasher speeds apparently.

You definitely want Lapua brass and not the Norma stuff.

Rushty and Danley like this.
  5. Pwhite11798

I was leaning towards dashed before your reply an trouble feeding with the 40 degree shoulder angle. Also wanting to no if you guys are running tight necked chambers. Like the bench rest guys do.

6. Wagoner

Wagoner

The Dasher is very well suited for PRS style shooting. I think that all of the top10 guys except Karloff (6.5 x 47) are running 6mms. What separates the the BR family from the high capacity 6mms is there consistency. Their consistency is due to their efficiency. The higher capacity 6mms can and do shoot very well but the BR family will Edge them out in the long run. Unless you get really crazy the 6br Lapua brass will will last you many many firings.

I have ran the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6x47. They are both fine chamberings but for day in Day Out precision shooting my Dasher has been Rock Solid.

ASbobcat likes this.
  7. Wagoner

Wagoner

.272 NK and they run like butter through the Magpul AI style magazines. They also run well through the new ARC mags. Primal rights has magazine kits that work in AI magazines but some guys are using them without the kits without any trouble. Every gun is a little different. You may need to adjust the feed lips depending on how your magazine mates with your action.

8. Sheldon N

Everyone I know runs no-turn necks .272 chambers. There is sometimes a bit of tweaking required to get good feeding with the Dasher case. Lots of guys go straight out of the gate with no issues, sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking on a mag to get it sorted. I run the ARC mags and the AICS mags with the Primal Rights spacer kit. Works great out of both in my Bighorn TL-3.

9. Willow

Willow

What are the Dasher guys doing as far as magazines/feeding are concerned?

10. Grimstod

Grimstod

I was going to say BR but when I read that you will he running it in PRS then the 6x47 is the way to go. Dashers are nice but the feeding issues can really make you bald quickly ;) or in my case get grey hair.

11. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Quite a few guys seem to have not had feeding issues with the dasher

12. Don

Don Silver $$ Contributor

Having a Dasher Built on the New Norma Brass and McMillan XTI Stock .
    Went with the Reamer from Bullets.com

Good Luck

13. alan98

alan98

I had GA Precision build me a Dasher on their Templar VII action (Defiance). I put the primal rights follower kit in when it arrived and 500 round later, not one malfunction. I can run the bolt slow, or as fast as I can and it feeds flawlessly. I've never had a rifle this accurate either and always consistent. Easily my favorite rifle I've ever had..

14. Sheldon N

So far it seems to cover the gamut. Couple guys (myself included) running TL-3 seem to have it going trouble free with pretty much any magazine you want. I like the ARC mags but the AICS with primal rights kit works well. Another shooter running a Defiance action is using AW mags with a spacer. My friend shooting a Curtis action uses AICS with Primal Rights kit.

Judging from conversations I've had with everyone it's pretty much been smooth sailing. I would recommend that anyone starting out with the cartridge be prepared to tweak feed lips and fine tune things if needed, but you should be ready to do that with any new setup IMO.

JBT likes this.
  15. Pwhite11798

I have an impact and wade has dasher barrels ready to go. I am going to get one of them what free bore is good for the 105 hybrids.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  16. Grimstod

Grimstod

I have heard of guys having feeding issues with the Dasher, but have never heard of anyone having feeding issues with the 6-6/5-47. There is the difference. ;)

17. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

The excuse for Dasher's or the BR case not feeding is a thing of the past. There are a number of options that I have experimented with great success as have many others. You can do the primal rights conversion in an AI mag, just run the AI alone, or like I have recently done use the Magpul AICS mag. All three work very, very well with no hiccups at all. However, I would not build one as a repeater on stock 700 with bdl floorplate. I have done a number of those in the past and they are too finicky (some work perfect and others seem to never work reliably) but that shouldn't be an option now days or for PRS anyways. Order a badger, PTG or seekins bottom metal and get the recommended mags... done deal. That said I still do all my repeaters with the 6x47L so there is no questions ever with that.

18. Sheldon N

Most PRS guys run .104 freebore for the 105 hybrids, but you can go a bit longer if you want. The BR guys run a bit longer, up to .150ish.

19. Pwhite11798

I emailed my smith and he said his reamer has a .274 nk and a .175 freebore. I assume he is setting the barrels up for dtacs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  20. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Grimstod, I agree.

Grimstod likes this.