New Bergara 22rf bolt gun

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by garandman, Nov 18, 2019.

1. snowpro440

snowpro440 Silver $$ Contributor

I dont want to talk about it I just need to know when I can get one in my hands at my LGS...

2. flatlander

flatlander

If in fact there is a patent infringement by this new rifle, I'm in favor of them getting into hot water over it. I've been into the V-22 magazines since having two of my CMP 40X actions converted into repeaters using those mags a few years ago. I know for a fact that Mike Bush put quite a lot of effort & money into perfecting the design of both the magazine and the rifle, and dealing with him & Vudoo Gun Works over the past several years has been a distinct pleasure. I'd not enjoy seeing someone else use their designs without entering into a licensing agreement and paying for the rights to copy.

3. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

MAP is $949 so it will make the stock class.
    upload_2019-12-5_20-22-27.png

garandman likes this.
  4. Lesloan

Lesloan

I admit to knowing little about the Vudoo except that 2 or 3 of my shooting buds have them and that they are very accurate. But I have looked at the bolt face on one and it looks pretty much like any other bolt action .22 with dual extractors. No big claw extractor like a Mauser 98, Springfield '03 or pre-64 .Win. Model 70. So I asked about the term "controlled round feed" as applied to the Vudoo, and was told that it refers to the fact that the magazine feeds the cartridge straight into the breech, no feed ramp. OK, so that makes sense, to a degree anyway, and looks like it might enhance accuracy by assuring no bullet deformation or shaving from a feed ramp. Good idea! But if the Bergara uses a magazine cloned from a Vudoo and the controlled feed is a function of the magazine, wouldn't the Bergara also have controlled round feed?

5. Mark Self

Mark Self

Jim with 22marksman FB page is testing the rifle right now in Utah..

6. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

I generally agree.

That said, some patents are not appropriate, and the simplest thing for a competitor to do is to ignore it - and let the patent owner decide whether to step up and fight about it.

So fairness can cut either way. I guess I'd have to read both patents and handle both designs to begin to assess things for myself.

David

7. Thauglor

Thauglor Gold $$ Contributor

Correct, the USA went to a system to give a patent to the first come person to claim a patent, even if it was being used for a long time. Then the companies can sue each other and force the patent to be tossed out or enforced.

This is really bad in the software industry and has spread to others as well. Our jet engine competitors have gotten a lot of patents where that technology is from the 60s and 70s.

8. Rob01

Rob01

Not as a rule as any bolt can strip the round off the magazine. It's how the bolt and action are designed that allows for the round to be fed directly into the chamber on the Vudoo and not rubbing on feed ramps and slamming into the top of the chamber.

As for the patents, it's easy to say you want to make the determination yourself when it's not your time, money and hard work that went into developing the patented product.

SDWhirlwind likes this.
  9. Lesloan

Lesloan

10. Lesloan

Lesloan

Maybe I misread it, but it looked to me like the magazine was what was different from the norm. As you say, every magazine repeater can strip a round from the mag. but what appeared different here was that the round was fed straight into the chamber instead of onto a feed ramp, and that looked to be a function of the magazine design. Or did I miss something?

I agree with you about the patent rights BTW, and I never said otherwise. Right offhand, it looks to me that Bergara might have to either stop production, pay a cash settlement or pay a license fee. Unless, of course, the mags are actually different. But then I'm no lawyer.

Rob01 likes this.
  11. Thauglor

I just checked my Tikka T1x, no feed ramp on the action, the round goes straight into the chamber at slight angle, which from looking at pictures, so does the vudoo (but I could be wrong).

After some research, the issue is using an aics body magazine to hold rimfire rounds. I guess vudoo or ravage have a patent on this or are about to be granted one. Bergara can shorten it, make it longer or make it have square edges and it will be fine. Patent rules are crazy, apple was able to patent round edges on a smartphone, but I expect bergara to fight this patent.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  12. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

This x 1000.

13. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Straight... at a slight angle?

Like "sorta pregnant?" Or "mostly dead?"

DanCarey and tmwinds like this.
  14. Thauglor

Called context: straight as in no feed ramp. Even the vudoo has the cartridge at a slight angle from what I can tell

15. Rob01

Rob01

It's straight when it goes into the chamber.

garandman likes this.
  16. Rob01

Rob01

Here are some results of accuracy testing of the Bergara that was posted in a video from 22LRMarksman's review. This was 5 shots with Tenex at 50 yards.

IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3170.JPG

17. ta6ppc

ta6ppc

Don’t look so hot really... it will be interesting when these hit the wild and get some real ringing out.
    I picked up my Vudoo yesterday and have absolutely no regrets with it I shot it at the range I had the transfer done at zero was in 2 shots and I went to shooting groups everything was well under 1/2” at 50 yards I even ran 20 rounds through one group as fast as I could run the gun and it was still under 1/2” at 50 all I shot was SK plus.

I hope these actually do take the 700 triggers and I hope once the new wears off I can perhaps get one for my wife and kids to play with, cuz I ain’t sharing my V22

BP1 and Rob01 like this.
  18. pmpski_1

pmpski_1

Huh? Something seems really off here.

dgeesaman likes this.
  19. Rob01

Rob01

I was thinking that too.

20. USMCDOC

USMCDOC

wind