New barrel system- one chamber and replaceable barrels

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by BountyHunter, Apr 12, 2016.

1. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Gold $$ Contributor

[​IMG]

Has anyone seen this new patented barrel system by Wolf Precision. Supposed to be by BAT and when need new barrel, just thread on new barrel to the separate chamber mounted on BAT receivers. Wolf says that they are only ones doing this.

http://www.wolfprecision.net/new-chamber--barrel-system.html

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

Where is the revolver type cylinder gap located the bullet jumps thru?

370bc and mac86951 like this.
  3. Grimstod

Grimstod Web Designer for PremierAccuracy.com Gold $$ Contributor

I have seen these in person. The guy is rather erogent. I tried to video interview him and he said no and flatly. Its an interesting idea. Seams like one more thing that could go wrong though.

jdh47 and dmoran like this.
  4. WSnyder

WSnyder

Jaime Dodson from Wolf is not an arrogant person. I have found him to be quite pleasant and very helpful. Not everyone wants to be video'd and have it published by an unknown for all to see without any control over the content. Depending on how you approached it I might have given you a flat no as well.

He's considered to be a very good gunsmith and Bat is considered to be a very good action maker so why not give this thing a chance and see how it pans out before condemning it? It may not suit your needs but maybe it will for others.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. CJ6

CJ6

I would be conscerned with gas cutting/leakage at the joint. The Fit/Finish would need to be flawless. Novel idea though.

6. Ggmac

Ggmac

I experimented with the same set up over 20 yrs ago . The gap between barrel and chamber carbon fouls and erodes quickly . It's not feasible , if it was the military would have been doing it 50 yrs ago .
    A system that worked better , at least for me , was to have the chamber neck in the barrel . There by eliminating flame cutting and deposits .
    It's definately not new as my experiments 20 + yrs ago were based off WW1 machine gun barrel testing that I read about.

hogpatrol, boltfluter and Toolbreaker like this.
  7. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Since you still have to dial the barrel in, thread it and put in some sort of a throat all it saves you is chambering and breaching for the type of action. Depending on the chamber size 20-40 minutes. I just really don't see the point of it. It's just something else to sell.

8. Grimstod

Grimstod Web Designer for PremierAccuracy.com Gold $$ Contributor

I have approached many boothes and never been rejected. Kelblys, Nightforce, Premier Accuracy, Hillbilly Custom, Nosler, LAW and more. Never had anyone not want to be videod or interviewed except him. I am sure he is nice to people that buy his guns though.

9. Dos XX

Dos XX Russell Myers Gold $$ Contributor

I guess if you had more than one chamber, you could shoot different cases through the same barrel, say .260 and 6.5 x 47L. I can't imagine why I would want to, but someone might. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

I did this to one of your barrels. Needed an experiment

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

I am actually glad folks try new things. I can definitely see the upside to it. May have to do a few myself to see how practical it is. Its a damn site better idea than most schemes i see these days

12. Dos XX

It is a cool idea.

I can see some uses. Let's say you load up some 185 gr bullets and some 215 gr bullets for a match, planning to shoot whichever one the conditions favor. You could screw off the 215 chamber and install the 185 chamber.

Of course you could do the same thing with two chambered barrels. I'm betting the chambers are more expensive than a complete chambered barrel, but you only buy them once, I guess. You still have to have the barrel threaded though. What are we saving?

Can't decide if I need one.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  13. WSnyder

WSnyder

The throat is in the barrel and not in the chamber so you'd be changing out the barrel for different a throat length. Barrels at one time were listed at $550 (threaded at muzzle too) and chambers $485. So once you've purchased a chamber a fresh barrel ready to screw on is $550 with no fitting, order it and have it screwed on. Fits Bat Tactical Action and newer Bat HR and Bat VR's.

14. Dos XX

Interesting. So I guess what you gain is the ability to get a barrel quickly as opposed to having to buy a barrel and then having it chambered. Not a real advantage to me, but I can see how it would be for some.

15. BigBlueandGoldie

BigBlueandGoldie

Or for $550 you can call your gunsmith and have a whole new chambered barrel sent to you ready to screw on. I guess I still don't see the point?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Ggmac likes this.
  16. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

I seem to recall that a separate chamber & barrel was used a century or two ago with black powder firearms.

17. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like a great opportunity to stack tolerances and end up with a non-concentric throat. Just can't see the logic in this. Certainly thinking outside the box though.

Regards, Paul

www.boltfluting.com

ab_bentley and Ggmac like this.
  18. JarheadAZ

JarheadAZ

Personally, I like the thinking. The devil is in the details. I will be looking to see more on this as time passes.

I think it's worth a try as a proof of concept, and that such a proof could generate the economies of scale that could make this an economical concept. If this works, it could be a big part of shooting's future. It's probably bit early to be passing judgement yet.

I'd like to see a replaceable throat insert incorporated into the barrel itself, as well. Is it absolutely necessary that there be rifling in the throat itself?

Greg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  19. ebb

ebb

I think if you were a short range benchrest guy you could have a bunch of barrels threaded and try to find the best 3 or 4 for next season and do it all in one day at the range.

20. BigBlueandGoldie

BigBlueandGoldie

Or for the same price you could have 3 or 4 complete barrels and try them all out in one day. Barrel swaps are easy.

butchlambert likes this.