New barrel problems with free bore

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Joel Dubose, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

Hi guys, I recently purchased a new custom Barrel from a well known barrel maker. I installed it and set out to determine where the lands are.
    Thats where the problems began. I can't even get the bolt to close on a factory round. Im running a 6mm creedmoore, RPR. This barrel is basically supposed to be a pre fit Barrel, plug and play with the exeption of its a straight barrel no contour.
    Depending on the bullet that im trying to use, its between .150 to .250 to short. Im trying to set it up for a few different bullets to test. 115 Dtac, 110 Atip, 110 SMK, or 105 through 108 various types.
    I read somewhere where Ruger initially had a similar problem. What's going on here?

2. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

First and foremost I would contact the barrel maker and verify what they thought they were supposed to send you. After that rent (4Drentals.com) or buy Go/No-Go gauges and check the chamber. If a No-Go gauge fits and Go gauge will not close, chamber is too short. Is the bolt contacting the breech face of the barrel? Should not.

Joel Dubose likes this.
  3. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I set the head space with a go nogo gauge. Its correct and will close on the brass by itself. This is in the throat or freebore

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You can rent a throating reamer and be careful cause they cut like its not cutting

Zero333 and Joel Dubose like this.
  5. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Have you done any throating? Those tools are available for rent as well. 4D has throating reamers as well as Uni-throaters...

6. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I can't imagine that the freebore could be .150 to .250 short. When I was ordering the barrel I asked him about doing custom chambering and he said they only do SAAMI min soec, no custom chambers. I would think that SAAMI would allow a factory cartridge to close the bolt?

7. Dusty Stevens

Start marking cases with a sharpie and see where its hitting. Start seating a bullet in an empty case til it closes

Joel Dubose likes this.
  8. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

Did that. Case was a once fired in my old barrel. I full lenght sized it and bumped the shoulder until it closed without friction. I have the ejector pin out as well the firing pin. Then pushed the bullet in slowly until it just closed. The bullets are now pushed into the case powder chamber. I will take a picture of old cartridges versus the new with the bullets just touching the lands

9. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

On is the Atip, the other is a 115 DTAC. the long one is the seating depth of the factory Ruger barrel touching the lands

Attached Files:

10. Dusty Stevens

So if you can seat it farther down and the bolt finally closes then you have your answer- throating reamer time

joshb and Joel Dubose like this.
  11. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I get that, whos fault? Is SAAMI off by that far? Im guessing that if Hornady's 108 match won't close on it that this is a mfg problem ?

12. 1badgoat

1badgoat Gold $$ Contributor

Have you inspected the chamber for burs?

Perhaps there is a bur jamming up the bullet. I would bore scope it first.

Joel Dubose likes this.
  13. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I'm trying to gather the details for whats going on here before I call the barrel mfg and talk with them about this. Do all prefit barrels have to be reamed before installed ? If so why ?

14. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

I bore scoped it. I can't say that it was perfect, somewhat disappointed but it wasn't .250 worth of a burr. I think that the freebore dia was on the small side, so I made an eraser and put some very fine lapping compond on it to clean it up.

15. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I would call the barrel maker and tell him the barrel's coming back to him based on that alone. While I had him on the phone, I would ask him if their throat would allow me to shoot the bullets you mentioned.

Disclaimer
    I'm no expert and my life history indicates that I have made many poor decisions, which infers that I have given a lot of bad advice. Therefore, I cannot be held responsible if you make a bad decision and follow my bad advice.

Damfino, Danoh and Joel Dubose like this.
  16. Dusty Stevens

Saami specs are for a non vld type bullet like say an 80smk shape but man youre way far off from that. Its either just a bad chamber job or a bad reamer. Send it back with a factory round and one seated like you want it- your heavy bullet there will require throating longer than factory anyway. Any gunsmith should be able to do this if the barrel mfr wont work with you

Joel Dubose likes this.
  17. mauser284

mauser284

Cerocast/Cerrosafe/ or any other low temperature casting metal. It melt around 160 F and cools rather quickly. Be mindful of it's expansion error at your ambient temp. The last link is a short video on Woods Alloy.In middle school in Industrial Arts class the first two things you worked with from a "casting" stand point was Babbitt and Woods Alloy. I would not pay a premium for it. I only included the "Gun-Centric" sites for convenience sake. You can also get low temp bending allows that are lower in lead or lead-free. That said lead is still the best for minimum deformation of the bore post bending baring a mandrel type bender or super high pressure system which are not shade tree options! Cheers!

https://www.belmontmetals.com/product/safe-metal-160-190-f-71-88-c-low-melting-alloy/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007021082/national-metallic-chamber-casting-alloy-1-2-lb

http://www.csalloys.com/cerro-alloys-casting-at-home.html

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal

18. 243winxb

243winxb

Put a flat base bullet into a case nose first. Chamber it. Measure case mouth to bullets flat base. Should be about .1829" Adjust for case trim length.

From the looks of your photo, its going to be less. SAAMI Screenshot_20190630-162204.jpg

Joel Dubose likes this.
  19. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Something is seriously out of whack here. I know its a pain, but take that new barrel off and check it over with the Go gauge protrusion and then insert a sized case, completely full length resized, don't sweat the shoulder bump. Are they close, very close? Seat a bullet in an unprimed case, where you think the bullet should be in the case and reinsert. Too long?
    Send that cartridge and barrel to manufacture and tell them this is the throat you need. Shooters want to use the long and heavy for caliber in that creed and I think it causes a problem.

Joel Dubose likes this.
  20. Joel Dubose

Joel Dubose

Measured the case and go gauge before we put the barrel on. I agree that a vdl is a long bullet, but the 108 ELD M has fit in the factory Ruger barrel. At this point in thinking that it was throated short. I'm not sure how to look up the post, but there was one on here about Ruger making a change because the factory rounds wouldn't work.