New 6BRA build for field use

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Flatfishhunter, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Flatfishhunter

Flatfishhunter

I just got a Deviant Hunter action, and would like to use it for a 6mm build that would be used for hunting Coyotes and possibly Antelope. I currently reload for 6BR (for 600 yd. competition) and would like to stick with a 6mm for this build. I've read quite a bit hear about the 6BRA and am interested in giving it a try.
    I'm thinking of useing the Sierras SPT 85gr for the Coyotes (hopefully they won't be too hard on the pelts), and preferably 105's for the Antelope. I currently use a 1:7.5 twist and am confident this would work nicely for the heavier bullets, but would it also work well for the lighter ones? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Ive shot 87gn VMax and Nosler 70gn Ballistic Tips from straight BR and Dasher 8 twists and they shot fine.. Very dead foxs and Rabbits!!! Cant see why the BRA wouldn't perform well.

3. Willow

Willow

Magazine feeding for the 40 degree shoulder will probably be your biggest issue but if you have modified mags then you'll probably be ok.

4. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The biggest problem with the 6BR family is usually ejection issues. Not sure about your action. The 85 Grain HPBT GAMEKING is deadly on deer. Wouldn't see why it wouldn't work on Antelope. Might be a Lot of pelt damage with the 85 Grain bullets. Matt

gtl1946 likes this.
  5. idahoorion

idahoorion

dkhunt14, regarding ejection, is there a good fix for a 700 action? I have shortened the ejector spring a bit, if I cycle the action pretty fast the case hits the back of the port and comes out either sideways or forward, if I go slow it usually stays in the rifle facing the wrong way. Also does a Sako or M16 extractor help this? I wouldn't be opposed to doing that if it's a fix. 6 dasher in this case.

thanks
    Idahoorion

dkhunt14 likes this.
  6. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Usually a Sako will fix it. A Sako pulls up and away and doesn't let the case go into the raceways. Matt

7. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Gold $$ Contributor

Defiance with a m16 or mini m16 whatever it's called works just fine pulling and ejecting a dasher.

8. idahoorion

idahoorion

thanks dkhunt14 and LRPV! I'll investigate those options further.

Idahoorion