NEW 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge from Hornady

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Forum Boss, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 15Tango

15Tango

The 2010 Hodgdon Annual reloading manual has a decent amount of data in it for the 6.5 Creedmoor: 95 grain bullets up to 142s, all out of a 24" barrel.

2. cruft

cruft

don't get this cartridge at all. except for the desire for manufacturers to sell product. so from our, the shooter, POV just what benifits does it have compared to the 6.5x55? all I see is a 3gr capacity difference. and a lot of fiddling.

3. 2644ever

2644ever

Well, the Creed' is shorter than the Swede, and this is supposed to be beneficial for ignition consistency (if given a choice, would you compete with a 6 PPC or a 6 Lee Navy?) and this allows the case to be formed from various other cases like .243, .260, 250 sav, .300 Sav, 7-08 and so on very easily, on another hand you just can't form the Swede out of any other case without dangerously stressing the head at the web location and finally the Creed' fits beatifully inside any magazine designed for the .308 Win.
    I happen to appreciate those features.

craigd likes this.
  4. JDY

JDY

I am using 44 gr. Ramshot Hunter powder with a 140 gr. Amax bullet with 2792 fps with no sign of pressure at all. I have shot and reloaded the brass 5-6 times and is still looking good. The action is a CZ 550 with a Shilen barrel 26" 1-8 twist.
    JDY

5. Ratwhiskers

Ratwhiskers

Greetings from across the "Pond"

Having just started to show interest in the Creedmoor case, l was wondering that besides waiting an eternaty for the hornady brass to become available, or being reduced to the cream of wheat method with 22-250 cases (Though Lapua does appeal it's still costly) or fire forming 250/300savage cases. My question is this...... Has anyone found a .243/.260/7-08 case that can be shoved through a hornady die and not be troubled too much by the dreeded D-Nut??? so that the case can simply be formed and fired straight off

Head/Bang/Hard/Wall..... you sort the order.

Regards.

Ratty.

6. AaroninUtah

AaroninUtah

There is a new article out on the Creedmoor, by John Barsness. He formed cases from 22/250 (?) using the cream of wheat method. I am sorry I cannot remember which magazine it was: newstand reading.

7. abishai

abishai

I have been fire forming 6xc brass for my ruger m77 that I use for hunter class. I just run a 7mm expander then simply neck size the case. This gives a nice false shoulder as the xc shoulder is a tinny bit shorter than the cm. I have had good luck with hornadys factory loaded ammo, but for some reason thier reloading brass is all over the place for neck thickness. The 6xc brass is also a couple bucks cheaper per 100. I was able to shoot a 1" 10 shot group out of a pencil barreled factory ruger.

8. soldierofchrist

soldierofchrist

I am not having any problems whatsoever with the new brass Hornady is putting out there, I am using 42 grains of H4350/210M/139 Grain Scenar's loaded to an overall length of 2.810 and getting 2850 fps and shooting 1/4" groups out of a factory Savage Model 10 Predator Advantage Max-1 with a 24" barrel. Primers are just beginning to flatten and I am on my 5th round of reloading some of these cases and primer pockets are still working well for me. This cartridge is so easy to reload as well and is not finicky to find a good load for at all. I like it better then a 260 Remington I had before, I can seat the 140 grain bullets out without sacrificing powder capacity and still fit it in a magazine that fits in a short action. As long as you don't try to turn this cartridge into a 6.5X284 I see nothing wrong with this cartridge and I hope it stays around.

9. Dan Hall

Dan Hall

I'm about to build my second 6.5 Creedmoor because this cartridge works so well. My first rifle is a DPMS Panther with a 24" heavy barrel auto loader that holds 1/2 MOA out as far as I've shot it, about 700 yards. The factory 140 & 120 gr A Max loads regularly shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Reloading is easy with h-4350 and most any bullet. The brass that Hornady is offering is uniform and holding up well to multiple loadings even out of the autoloader which is notoriously hard on brass. My new rifle will be a BAT actioned bolt gun set up for casual long range work. I generally only build guns in cartridges that I can get quality brass for and it's usually Lapua, but in the case, pun intended, of the Creedmoor there is no need to form brass for this cartridge. The Hornady offering is as good as you need. If you don't own a gun in this cartridge do yourself a favor and get one. Enjoy your shooting...

10. Metalbender

Metalbender

I’m looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I have been shooting a 22-250 Ackley that has been falling a little short in the 500 plus yards.( Plus Wyoming wind does not like 55 grain bullets) I will be shooting from 300-700 yards. Any input on what action to use and barrel twist for round for these ranges. I want to shoot something long for weight.
    Eric

11. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Ratwiskers........

I am making 6.5x47 Lapua cases from Rem 22/250 cases, on the 23rd firing so far with 27.5g of R#15, 9 1/2 primers and sierra 120g MK. Accuracy is astounding for sure. Groups in the 2's or less at 200 yards in not uncommon. I have only full length sized the brass once in all these firings and the primer pockets are just as tight as the first firing. I have no doughnut issue at the 23rd firing.

For what ever it is worth, after I quit shooting registered BR, I started making 6 and 22 PPC cases out of PMC 7.62x39 brass to be shot out of my BR rifles on p. dogs, ground squirrels, jackrabbits, and chucks. Accuracy with the large rifle primes were astounding to say the least with groups in the 1' and 2's being the norm. 20 years later, I am still shooting the same brass, 3 and 4 barrels later. Doughnuts do not appear quickly, but after many, many firings and they are very apparent when they do come up. I use the wilson case trimmer and reamer to get rid of the doughnut...no problem at all.

If you want to sort some brass, buy the tool from sinclair that will measure the run out at the webb and sort in that fashion.

You will be pleasantly surprised with the 22/250 cases, make no mistake about it. Watch the various sites and buy all of the PMC 22/250 brass that you can get your hands on. The PMC brass will rockwell as much as 12% harder than std commercial brass.

I always thought that the 6/250 AI necked up to 6.5 would be one heck of a cartridge, there you have it...the 6.5 Creedmore...from what I have gathered so far.

Good luck

12. armistemjim

armistemjim

the 6.5 creedmore. I made my cases by necking up my 250-3000AI to 6.5 creedmore. it shoots well

13. Dan Hall

Dan Hall

new 6.5 Creedmoor build

I decided to make my next custom build into a 6.5 Creedmoor[​IMG]BAT action, Shilen select match 1 in 8 26" long. Jewell trigger, tri-laminate stock and all the work was done by Tommy Shurley. Shoots great with factory 140 gr loads and I'll be creating hand loads on Wilson inline dies. Wish me luck.

Looks like I[​IMG]found at least one load for the 140 Gr A-Maxs[​IMG]

14. Ed333

Ed333

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor in F class open?

Another curious newbie question, I haven't seen much if any mention of 6.5 Creedmore being used in F class Open competition....does it not cut the mustard compared to other calibres/cartridges? thinking 600, 800 and 1,000 yards...

15. bucksnort2

bucksnort2

I too am curious as to what is said here. Trying to decide if my next BR rig will be a 6.5CM or 6.5x47L. I would first try a new barrel on my Savage .308BR (Shilen drop-in). Ed

16. abishai

abishai

The CM will work splendidly on 1000 yard comp ........ For some reason, a lot of people on this site seem to think there is nothing but a 7 RSUM or 6 BR ! We all have to read the wind. The 130 class will make you competitive, if you are indeed a competitor.

17. ForneyRider

ForneyRider

My dad bought the Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor and I told him to buy the 129gr Interbond factory loads. They chronied 2913fps out of the Hawkeye 24in barrel at 10ft. I am working a load up with R17. Nosler data has 2945fps with R17, and slightly slower with Hybrid 100v. Hodgdon data is several fps slower with their load data for 130gr. Anyone worked a load with R17 and 129-130gr pills? I've read the Berger 130 VLD is popular for target.

18. wyoming .260

wyoming .260

The 130s are very popular for hunting also!!!

19. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

NEW TOY GUYS I JUST FINISHED MY 6.5 CREEDMOOR WEATHERBY ACTION SHILEN SELECT MATCH #5 SS 1/8 TWT 271/NK BOYLD TACT. STOCK VORTEX'S OPT.FORMING BRASS IT SHOWS GREAT RESULTS W/130 CLASS BULLETS AND H-4350 AND RL-15 HORNADY BRASS, GOING TO SHOOT EITHER 129GR LR ACC.BOND OR 130GR HUNTING VLD'S WHEN I CAN FIND SOME

20. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

WELL I THINK THAT I HAVE FIND MY LOAD FOR MY NEW TOY,43.5 GRS H-4350 210M PRIMER 130GR VLD HUNTING HORNADY BRASS=.252 GROUPS