NEW 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge from Hornady

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Forum Boss, Nov 7, 2007.

1. RIFLE1

RIFLE1

Just to touch on one of the previous posts,...... it was stated that Tubb's brass was 6 points harder than the Lapua's,......

Who's "B" scale hardness checker gave that info? I've checked lot after lot of the 6.5x47 Lapua, compared it to early Tubb and Norma Tubb brass, and most recently Hornady's 6.5 Creedmore, and none of it,... period, was ever harder than the Lapua,... much less 6 points harder.,The Hornady case borders on being a poor investment for anyone using the case for BR work considering the strength of the Lapua case.) The numbers given for the factory data of the 6.5x47 brass are exactly that, factory liability data, period. The Lapua cases are hard and durable to a fault. The Norma cases are very uniform, perhaps somewhat at the cost of case head hardness.
    The situation where Hornady can be a winner in all this is simple, an American made product at a,hopefully) consistent level of quality,which we still all want to mean something,...) at a better value than the Lapua. So far,that remains to be seen.

2. 3gunf1guy

3gunf1guy

I just read that on the 6xc web site of Tubbs that the new Norma 6xc was 6 points harder than the Lapua. It may be just a sales gimmick. but thats what I read.

Here it is.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/6xc_images/6mmxc_brass.html

"6XC DTAC Brass

SSS Inc. has DTAC match grade 6XC brass available, engineered to meet the demands of High Power shooters. These high-quality cases are designed with the strength, capacity, and expansion characteristics necessary for high performance in the competitive arena. DTAC brass is used exclusively by David Tubb and other winners shooting this caliber.

Our newest version of this brass has a hardness approximately 6 points harder than Laupua,Knupe scale). This helps ensure no stickiness in bolt operation.

"TUBB 6XC" headstamp."

Scott

3. Steve

Steve Silver $$ Contributor

here is the drawing of the diagram I have been looking for.
    http://guntech.com/ammo/6.5creedmoor.jpg
    in case anyone else was wondering or possibly planning a build.
    Hope this helps

4. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone use RE17 with the 6.5CM? Any data? Thanks Lee

5. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

Yes. See the other thread on here. I was using 40.0gs with 140gr Berger VLDs. STOUT load.

6. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

Just before I joined this Forum I started a 6.5 Creedmore project. I am using a trued Rem 40X action with a Jewell triger and a prone stock. A Hart 1:8 twist 30' heavy varmit barrel is on order. The standard Pacific reamer will be used. I plan to use this rifle in long range and hopefully F-Class competition. I plan to try Re17 and see how it works. Bullets will be the 139-140 gr match bullet it likes the best. I hope to get 2,850 to 2,900 fps with out hamering the Hornady brass too hard. I hope this round does catch on and brass becomes available from multiple manufactures. I'll report back when it all comes togather later this year.

7. rcw3

rcw3 Site $$ Sponsor

Your expectations are too high. With those bullets at that velocity, you will either be wasting your brass on the first firing or your loads will shoot poorly because they're too hot,probably both)! Case capacity is marginal to run the big bullets much over 2750 fps and have things hold tight for 22+ shots in a row for F-Class.

Robert Whitley

8. Rob01

Rob01

I easily get 2850fps with my 6.5 Creedmoor and the 140 AMAX and H4350. I am on the third firing of the brass and it is still nice and tight in the primers. I use it to shoot about 100-150 rounds in a weekend without cleaning at sniper matches without a problem. That load is 1/2 MOA out to 600 which is the farthest I have grouped it at.

9. 3gunf1guy

3gunf1guy

With my new barrel on my gun, It's a 30' Rock Creek, I have been getting 2875-2880 with 43.0 gr H4350. I cronoed about 25 rds on sat and that was the ave velocity with the sd at 7.

scott

10. boltman13

I am glad there are some other guys using the 6.5 Creedmore in long barrels. Has anyone tried RE17 yet to see if it's any better. H4350 is one of my all time favorite powders, and if it works the best in my rifle, when I get it, so be it. I hate waiting.

11. PreferProne

PreferProne

Hello, everyone. My first post here!

I am soon having Pac-Nor in Oregon rebarrel my Remington 700 CDL .243 rifle to the 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 24' or 26' barrel.
    This new setup will be used in centerfire metallic silhouette competition and will hopefully give me more knockdown power on the ram targets at 500 meters than the .243 did.

Why did I choose the 6.5 Creedmoor rather than a .260 or 6.5 Grendel, e.g.? For me, it was easy. I don't handload my ammo, and Hornady offers match-grade factory ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor, and at a decent price. I plan to shoot Hornady's 120-grain loads at the chickens, pigs, and turkeys, and their 140-grainers at the rams.

Should be an interesting experience. I will post again after my first silhouette competition with the Creedmoor.

12. ThunderDownUnder

ThunderDownUnder

Hornady will be considering manufacturing a 6.5mm, 130gr Amax projectile. I asked the question thru their Tech Inquiries if it was possible and was told it will be discussed at their next staff meeting.

That would make a lot of Creedmoor, 6.5x47L and 260 shooters to name just a few, very, very happy, lets hope it happens!

13. boltman13

I got my 6.5 Creedmore from my smith. He was able to get 29' of barrel for me. I was all set to load up some 140 gr Sierra MK's and start breaking in the barrel and load devlopment with H-4350 and Re-17 when fate steped in and I broke my fibula on my MC. Now I probably won't get to the range until at least mid July. Major bummer. Hope all you guys are having good luck with your rifles this summer.

14. Rob01

Rob01

Got a new lot of factory loaded 140 AMAX rounds and wanted to test them against the old lot. Looks like all I'll need is .1 mil left wind ;)

5 rounds old lot on left, 10 rounds of new lot on right
    [​IMG]

15. boltman13

Well, I have finally begun to get to some serious load devlopment on my 6.5 Creedmore. I have used Fed LR Match primers and H-4350 so far with Sierra 140 gr Match, Hornady 120 gr A-max, and 140 gr A-max. My rifle doesn't like the 140 gr MK's, at least not with the loads I have tried. I am getting about 2,910 fps from the 120 gr A-max and 43gr of H-4350. Accuracy is good, about 1.21" at 200 yards. This is below the listed factory load from Hornady and I plan to bump up this load, and see what happens. The 140 gr A-max gives 2,814 fps with 41.4 gr of H-4350, same primer. This is also just below factory level. Accuracy was 0.642" at 100 yds in very windy conditions. Primer pockets are still tight. These velocities were measured at an altitude of about 4,700 feet so will not be as high at lower ones. I now have some 139 gr Lapua, and 140 gr Berger VLD's to try. Also have to see what Re-17 does. I have problems getting primers right now so it may take a while. I hope to get in some long range matches in 2010 as well as some F-Class.I think 2,850 fps for the 140's is achievable with my rifle.

16. skeetlee

skeetlee Lee Gardner Precision Silver $$ Contributor

Just a side note here, I have been using 4831sc with positive results. 46.5gr is giving me 2850 with the 130gr berger bullets. accuracy is also there. My testings have only started to begin. More to come! Lee

17. jburnette

jburnette

I have a 6.5 / 308 it's pretty cool I suppose. It all boils down to the quality of the brass available. If you could get Lapua or Norma brass for this cartridge it might be worth building a rifle. As far as scraping my 6.5 / 308 dies and reamers I don't think so. This is just the atomic powered marketing machine at work I suppose. Although I have never been able to get a compressed load with my configuration. Simply shortening the case may not solve this either. I,m getting a little over 2800 FPS (147 lapua) and great accuracy with what I have and the cases live a long time.

James
    burnettearms.com

18. 15Tango

15Tango

I have one of these in the Ruger VT (Target Grey) 28"/1:8twist rifles and the rifle's been more than I expected.

I bought it because I wanted a .264" rifle for F-class but didn't have the money or time to build a custom and that left me no choice but to stick with a factory made rifle. There aren't many factory rifles in .264" chambering these days, especially not in a heavy barrel target configuration. I dislike Savage and the only factory rifle I could find in a .264" barrel to really fit my criteria was the Tikka T3 Varmint in .260 but they don't import that rifle into the U.S., imagine how many of those they'd sell if they did! Anyway, the Ruger Target Grey in 6.5CM was the only factory rifle that fit the bill so that's what I ended up with, not because of a love for the particular cartridge but rather the caliber.

What I've seen for loads and velocities on this thread don't really jive with my mileage for some reason, not exactly sure why - but I'm having no problem exceeding the published velocities with R17 and when I was making factory duplicate loads with H4350 the velocities were spot on with what factory velocity was supposed to be. I've ruled the chrono (Chrony Beta Master)out as being right on as it coincides with many types of .22 ammo and their published data, maybe it's just my rifle for some reason.

Is the 6.5CM better than any other 6.5 cartridge? Not necessarily, for me it does as advertised and it may have better barrel life than some other .264 chamberings but there are certainly other .264s that meet/beat what the 6.5CM does performance wise. I would have preferred a .260 Rem. but there weren't any factory rifles out there that fit what I wanted and that's where the 6.5 CM did better than the .260.

I missed the first batch of Hornady 6.5CM brass and have only used the newer stuff in the fancy box and it's good; primer pockets hold up well enough, it's consistent on weight and overall the quality seems very good. Is it as hard as Lapua? No, but it's also not the price of Lapua. Neck sizing with cutting the flash holes for uniformity and weighing my charges on my 5-0-5 I have no problem getting single digit standard deviation.

I'm not going to post my data or velocities because I don't want anybody hurting themselves or their rifles trying to get the velocities I am when they seem to be having trouble getting factory velocity.

Figured I'd post a picture of it and a group I saved. I combined two pictures and had to resize it small to try and keep the file small. I was sighting in the Sightron that day and it's a 10-shot group if you can't read my poor handwriting.

Attached Files:

19. bandit10-4

bandit10-4

I just bought a DPMS LR65 and am having trouble finding the Hornady Brass. Does anyone know where to get some? What is the best parent case to use to make my own? An off the wall question, could I fireform a 6.5x47 Lapua case to 6.5 CM? ( I know the primer is small, but would it work?

20. MarinePMI

MarinePMI