New 40X Clone Action

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by flatlander, Aug 12, 2017.

1. flatlander

flatlander

I've been following this over on Snipers Hide, since the guy who designed this new 22RF action is the same one who designed an AICS-style 10rd 22LR magazine for use in converted 40X & XB receivers. I've had both of my remaining CMP 40X & XB rifles converted into repeaters using these mags, and have been having a great time with them. Since there are a finite number of these actions out there, and since a fair percentage of the ones the CMP sold are in the hands of collectors (and likely to stay there), Mike needed to design & produce a 40X clone action to expand the market for his magazines. Check this thread over on SH to see more:
    https://forum.snipershide.com/forum...9243-vudoo-gun-works-v-22-rimfire-bolt-action

skyking70 and pbike257 like this.
  2. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

That action look pretty sharp!

3. flatlander

flatlander

i've kinda got the hots for one of these new V-22 actions, but don't really want to sell either of the two CMP 40Xs I've had converted into repeaters that use Mike's magazines in order to be able to swing the purchase. I re-barreled both of my repeaters, one with a 3-groove Benchmark, the other with a Krieger, and they both shoot very well. In B&C #2015 stocks, with Jewell triggers & Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes, they're all I could ask for, so... Looking forward to seeing a rifle built around one of these actions, as well as hearing from shooters who've purchased one.

Rtheurer likes this.
  4. pbike257

pbike257 Silver $$ Contributor

I would really like to see more of that action.

5. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for posting this link. I've been wanting to do a 40x build and this is a great option.

6. mrh1958

mrh1958

Great looking action, I am impressed

7. Rob01

Rob01

My team mate Tony has one coming in to use. Can't wait to see how it works out for him. It's a slick set up for sure.

8. flatlander

flatlander

Yes, it does appear to be a fine alternative to using an original 40X or XB action to build a repeater on. I started out by building a 22LR trainer on a Stiller 2500XR action, then saw Mike Bush's AI-style 10rd magazines for use in converted 40X/XB actions. Having a couple of these rifles purchased from the CMP in 2005, I decided to have the older 722-style action converted to a repeater, then fitted & chambered a Benchmark 3-groove bbl for it. I liked it so much that I eventually sold the Stiller rifle & used the proceeds to convert the remaining 40XB action & build another complete rifle on it.

Based on what I'm reading on various websites, most guys start out to build a 22LR repeater as a trainer, then when they find out how accurate they are with good ammo & how much fun they are to shoot, go looking for another venue to use them in. Our group of CF PR shooters have started running 22RF PR matches, and another semi-local club is holding their first NRL22 match today (I'd have driven the 150+miles to shoot with them, but the forecast was for windy/rainy conditions, and from what I've seen on radar, it appears the forecast was accurate). At any rate, one of our shooters has ordered a complete V-22 rifle, with Bartlein bbl. I'm looking forward to him getting it next month - not that I'm thinking of selling one of my 40X repeaters to get one myself, but you never know...

9. Marksman

Marksman

What are the specs on your build? I'm getting close to ordering, but I'm unsure what barrel contour and length I should go with.

10. flatlander

flatlander

I don't recall all the available bbl contours currently available from Vudoo Gun Works, but for my own rifles, I've stuck with Rem varmint/sendero contour bbls. I ordered the Benchmark & Lilja blanks to finish at 26", which is probably longer than what's ideal - especially if you're going to run a suppressor, which I do. A good friend of mine is very pleased with his 40X repeater conversion using a Krieger hvy Palma finished at 20". While I don't know for certain, I believe the reduced bbl time provided by going with a good stiff 20" bbl would be a slight advantage over a longer bbl. I was looking for the feel & balance of my center-fire comp rifles, which is why I went with 26". I'd shorten these two bbls, but both Benchmark & Lilja lap the choke at the specified finished length, and since both of these bbls are shooting great, I'm not about to screw with them. Krieger OTOH, laps for a tapered bore, so it's not critical to accuracy to shorten them - I finished both mine to 24", and could probably have gone shorter without giving up any accuracy.

11. Rob01

Rob01

My team mate Tony got to lay down behind one this weekend at the NRA World Shoot at a demo and was totally impressed. He shot a 1" 10 shot group at 170 yards. Also cleaned the KYL rack which I think he said was at 200 yards and he hit the 6" plate at 485 yards on the 3rd shot. He said it should have been second but the elevation call by spotter was off. Said the feel of the rifle was amazing and he is very excited about the rifle and Tony doesn't excite easily about rifles. Now I really can't wait to try it out. We spent an hour and a half on the phone as he drove home and he spent most of it talking about this rifle.

For anyone wanting to see some more about it there is a thread on Snipers Hide in the Rimfire section about it.

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum...9243-vudoo-gun-works-v-22-rimfire-bolt-action

12. Rob01

Rob01

The mag is very impressive as well as it can be used in any DBM for AICS mags. Will be much easier to make fast reloads in matches.

[​IMG]

13. flatlander

flatlander

Rob, you got that right! The Stiller 2500XR I based my first PR 22LR on is an excellent action, with several design features that produce fine accuracy potential, and it runs very slick. However, it's tough to be able to do a smooth reload, simply because of the design of the magazine chute of that action. OTOH, I can do a mag change on my converted 40X/XB rifles as quickly as I do on any of the CF comp rifles I run in PR matches because of the design of Mike's magazines.

Rob01 likes this.
  14. patriot

patriot

Maybe in Offhand; or maybe the longer barrel slows any wobble. Some in smallbore prone experimented with short barrels but nearly all ended up going back to long. I built my mini-palma with a 30 inch Lilja barrel to simulate the .308. It is extremely accurate, first five shots at 100 prone (sling) were .6 inches. But with a long barrel you can't be waving it around when you break the shot or you well send the round flying, particularly at 200 yards. Some suggest the longer barrel has a more consistent velocity, but I have not seen any measurements to support the theory.

Mark

USMCDOC likes this.
  15. Rob01

Rob01

Hi guys. I was lucky enough to spend about 3 hours with Mike Bush in his lab talking about the rifle and actually seeing it for the first time including mine which is going out for meloniting this week YAY! Lol

All I can say after seeing this rifle first hand is WOW! The thought and attention to detail that goes into it and still going into it is amazing. Mike is a very smart guy with great ideas. The action is very strong and the advice on how to run it is not baby it but run it like you stole it which means don't baby or short stroke it.

The magazines are very nice also and the way they are set up when the bolt starts stripping a round and the bolt picking it up allows the round to feed into the chamber and not get banged up on the top of the chamber and deform the bullet. Again this comes from Mike's attention to detail.

Also speaking to that is the fact that the actions are made so identical that barrels can be made and screwed on without even having the action on hand. That makes getting new or differing length or contour barrels for the action easy.

The whole package from mag to action to barreled action is a whole new ball game from what people are used to seeing in a .22 action, even a 40X. I can see this rifle taking the custom .22 market by storm. If you were on the fence about getting one then I would recommend getting off the fence and getting one ordered before the sale ends and the word gets out any farther and you find yourself waiting ;)