NEW 30BR Cartridge Guide Online

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Forum Boss, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Happy New Year folks! :comp:

Well, it was a long time coming, but click here for the new, comprehensive 30BR Cartridge Guide.

We enlisted help from many of the top 30BR shooters in the world. These guys deserve our thanks for contributing their time,and knowledge) to the article:

Joe Entrekin, 2004 100/200 National Champ and 2003 Score Shooter of the Year.

Al Nyhus, 2003 IBS Hunter Class Champion

Randy Robinett, maker of BIB bullets, and a great shooter in his own right.

It's really an amazing cartridge with incredible efficiency. Joe's running 3000+ fps with H4198 and a 118gr BIB 10-ogive bullet. We also think this cartridge can make a very good hunting and tactical round with the right bullets.

And everybody should read Joe's article on case preparation, neck-turning, and annealing. I guarantee you'll learn something new:
    Joe Entrekin Case Prep Tips

[​IMG]

2. Dubya

Dubya

How about putting some 30x47 Lapua data under this same category.

Gary (aka dubya)

geraldgee likes this.
  3. SHootSTraight22

SHootSTraight22

I want to see a 338x47L for a deer gun.. Who knows it may make a great score shooting caliber as well???

4. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Trouble is somebody has to make some lightweight 338 match bullets.

5. SHootSTraight22

SHootSTraight22

Well, with a fast twist barrel and a high BC 250gr bullet, I don't see what the problem would be considering how excepted the 300Blackout is with its slow velocity and subsonic loads.. I think a 338x47L shooting 300gr Hybrids that have been softened through annealing their jackets would make a deadly subsonic load... I would be very interested in using the 200 or 210 Nosler Partition for hunting purposes at normal hunting ranges..

6. JimPag

I can see you don't shoot score matches. The problem you don't realize is recoil. Some guy's are pushing the limit with their 30BR'S. I can't imagine most guy's shooting a 338x47 with heavy bullets for a one day 2 yardage match. It's not going to happen!

7. SHootSTraight22

SHootSTraight22

Do they have a weight limit on score shooting rifles??

8. SHootSTraight22

SHootSTraight22

I don't know anything about score shooting except the fatter the bullet is the more likely you will break or touch the line for higher score.. LOL, sorry...

9. JimPag

No need to be sorry. Your right about the fatter the bullet, but each time u go up in bullet diameter and weight your talking more recoil as u well know.

10. txdan

txdan Gold $$ Contributor

Score shooting has. a 13.5 lb weight limit and bullets no larger than .308.

11. LHSmith

LHSmith

NBRSA-recognizes only one VFS class with a 13.5 # weight limit, .338" max. bore dia.
    NBRSA Hunter Class-10# limit, .338" max. bore dia. + case capacity minimum
    IBS- NO limit on caliber for Hunter, Varmint Hunter, or VFS classes (LR has .40 cal. max.)
    Hunter Class, Varmint Hunter- 10 # max. Hunter Class has a case capacity minimum.
    VFS-HV-13.5 # max.
    VFS -LV- 10.5 # max.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  12. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

A couple of years ago the IBS combined the VH and H class. There is no longer a case capacity rule on the 10# 6X scoped rifle class, now known as Hunter Class. During tournaments they compete against each other and SOY points are combined. The only things kept separate are records. Just as in VFS between HV & LV.