Need Stock Repair Help

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Racecamaro, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Racecamaro

Racecamaro

I had an shoulder strap break and the Butt of the Rifle hit the ground and Broke my Tracker 2 Obeche wood Benchrest stock at the wrist and I am looking for someone who may be able to repair it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Please contact me at 786-280-4663 . Miami,Florida

Attached Files:

2. matthias

matthias Gold $$ Contributor

That is a bad break. At least a threaded rod through it along with glue. Maybe a couple pins.

Really the issue is it will never be the same. What is the origin of the stock?

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Ouch! That’s bad.:(

4. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

I wouldn't have thought you could
    intentionally break a laminate w/a
    sledge hammer. LDS

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I know id be calling stockys and upgrading that stock. no way id ever feel good shooting it again. get one of their laminates with the aluminum block in it and keep it moving.

Cloudrepair likes this.
  6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Makes me wonder if it wasn't cracked all along. I would contact the manufacturer to see if they can help you out. Good luck.:D:D

Paul

msinc likes this.
  7. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

You can try Tite-Bond III wit at least 2 pins .25" diameter. I have used Tite-Bond on 2 stocks with linear cracks/breaks with great success. GOOD LUCK

perry42

8. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

Tracker 2 Obeche sounds like a Shehane stock. Knowing what they cost I would be on the phone first thing in the morning.
    Stocky's is a short trip up 95 from you.

9. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

That is alot cleaner break than I had on my Cooper xx+ claro stock. I drilled 3 holes into the break, inserted metal pins for strength, and epoxied it back together. Other than a couple of spot holes where I lost some edge chips, the break dissappears when together. I would suggest this if you are turned down by the maker, and find no other avenue.

10. shortgrass

shortgrass

I don't believe any manufacture or competent gunsmith would make a repair on that. Too much liability. A different stock would be better than "a sharp stick in the eye". Money can't buy eye balls.

11. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

ON a heavy recoiling rifle, the glue may break again, but with3/32 piano wire inserts across the break, it won't shear and "stick you in the eye":confused:. I would never shoot mine if there was any chance of being impaled.

Cooper offered to repair mine, but it wasn't under their warranty. They wanted almost as much as a new stock to repair it, since they were going to take it aback to the bare wood, then repair, then completely refinish it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I have seen a handful of broken laminated through years. They are very stable and stiff but nowhere as strong as people think. In fact I would say their absolute sheer strength is a little less than a really really good piece of walnut. Big African cartridges last longer in a good piece of English or Turkish than laminate.

13. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Glue it together and drill some holes for three or four pieces of 1/4” threaded rod. Epoxy the rod in and that stock will never break again.;)

14. Racecamaro

Racecamaro

The rifle is a 16 Lb 6mm Dasher with a Brake so recoil is not that much. With two pins and the proper glue i am thinking it will probably be okay. I spoke with a Gunsmith in New york yesterday that said he has had good results with stock repairs using pins and good Epoxy. Said the glue joint is stronger than the wood.

15. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Threaded rod and Super Glue. The rest of the stock will brake before the Super Glue joint. I've heard of laminated stock braking in that area but never seen it like that.:eek: Good luck fixing it. Think positive. YOU CAN DO IT!!:cool::D
    I have fixed broken RC Planes in the field that were no more than a bunch of broken sticks with Super Glue and dirt as a filler and had them back in the air in a few minutes. Like I said, the glue joints will last just about forever.;)
    My guess is that the glue joint will be hard to see after the repair if done right.

16. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

This is my common sense opinion and nothing more.
    Your stock now broken can be repaired however the harmonics are gone and lost forever.
    Move on

17. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

A laminate stick no nothing but glue joints. I’d say this is a non issue.

18. msalm

msalm

Check out the 'stockdoctor' if he's still around. That is a very repairable break, be sure to keep those ends untouched as you'll want all the fibers to line back up. I think the strongest repair is multiple holes drilled around the perimeter going both ways with music wire fit in each. Use a thinned epoxy (I use warmed acraglass) that will flow like water as it penetrates better. http://www.thestockdr.com I don't personally have experience with this gentleman, but I have read good things about his work.

19. msalm

msalm

20. tobnpr

tobnpr

I've repaired cracked wrists in milsurp stocks before, but never one snapped clean in half. That said, no reason a properly done repair won't hold esp with a light recoiling Dasher in it.

If you're reasonably "handy", and have a capable vise it's not particularly difficult to do a pinned epoxy repair. Drill the holes, inject some lightly heated epoxy to saturate the wood in the holes, then insert the epoxy-coated pins. Cut the pins slightly short so you have 1/8" or so clearance inside each end, mix some epoxy with wood shavings from the holes you drilled for the pins, this will color match the epoxy to the wood. Use enough shavings to make it a light putty consistency and fill the holes flush.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...repair-pins/stock-repair-pin-kit-prod617.aspx