Need some help with scope mounts

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by lineman1970, Jul 7, 2019.

1. lineman1970

lineman1970

This rifle is a Weatherby vanguard compact 6.5 CM. The scope is Leupold with a 50 mm objective. Used low mounts because grand daughter is going to use it. She is 10 yrs old. We took it out to sight it in and at 25 yds it is shooting 2 1/2” low and is at the limit of elevation on the turret.
    What are suggestions to bring up to zero it and still have some turns on your elevation

2. JMayo

JMayo

Burris rings with inserts.
    Or cut some shims (coke can) and add to the bottom of the back ring. Watch the space between the barrel and front of scope make sure it doesn't touch.

joshb likes this.
  3. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Are these mounts zero MOA? Two pc mount or one?

4. NH30

NH30 Silver $$ Contributor

Best to get scope back toward mechanical zero. Make major adjustments w/shims. No scope is best anywhere near the limit of its movement.

5. lineman1970

lineman1970

A little more info it doesn’t have much room to go before the objective touches the barrel

6. lineman1970

lineman1970

Yes, we tried three beer can shims on the back mount and that made it worse.

7. lineman1970

lineman1970

8. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

First make sure the rings are mounted where they should be, sometimes like Ruger it needs to be in a particular placement.. When you say the scope is out of adjustment do you mean elevation adjustment? Does the setup You currently have have clearance? Burris signature zee rings with the polymer inserts to offset the elevation would be a fix.

Post a couple pictures

Don't ever use shims:(

Ray

9. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Ok, this is a WAG for those that know that one. I'm guessing he has mounts that are built high and low for an MOA adjustment. Needs to the reverse them front to back if I'm right. Measure from top of action to top of mount and see if they are the same.

Raythemanroe likes this.
  10. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I recently tried to mount a scope for a friend on a Vanguard. He bought the ringmounts ( ring and mount was one piece) from Weatherby. The front of scope was tilted up at about a 15 degree angle and there was no way to get it boresighted. The Weatherby rings looked like one was a low and the other was a medium.
    The Vanguard is designed to use 700 Remington mounts. I bought a set of 2 piece Leupold bases and rings and they fit like a glove.
    If you are trying to use Weatherby ringmounts, you may have trouble from the factory

Raythemanroe likes this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

So if you put shims under the back base and that made it worse that doesnt make sense

tmwinds likes this.
  12. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

That s what I was thinkin...

13. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Haven't gotten an answer to which way he ran out of travel

Ray

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Said it was 2.5” low and hes out of elevation

15. lineman1970

lineman1970

It didn’t to me either .

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  16. lineman1970

lineman1970

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I’m going to put 0 degree picatinny rail on it.

17. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Why not a 10 or 20. I assume you bought a 6.5 for long range someday. Depending on your scope and the MOA it is capable of, you may need a 10 at least. That will also take care of the shooting low on the target and allow you to get back to the scopes zero.