Need some help casting several inchs of rifle bore

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Shawnba67, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I am trying to cerrosafe cast 5 inchs of rifling. I cannot get casting to come free. Tried 4 times, had to melt it out 4 times. read instructions twice.
    Any out of the box advise?
    I did cast with wax but dont completely trust this method.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

Maybe its locked in a pit or tight spot. Wish i could help

3. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

I push 4 patches of oil through the bore on a tight punch tight jag, never had one stick.

HOWEVER, never have I cast a 4" section, only about an inch or so.

Bore scope should tell you if you have pitting in the bore, which would grab the slug in a hurry.

Keith

4. Shawnba67

Does this mean that it ought to work? Lol
    If only I had a borescope!

5. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

why do you want to make a cerrosafe cast that long?

Stan Taylor likes this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Can you pour a 2" section let it set. Then push it out. Then cast the other two inch section. It might not be perfect but trying the same thing again and again is insane. I know I once tried something ten times all with the same bad results. before I threw in the towel. Good Luck..

hoz53 likes this.
  7. hoz53

this is what id try but if i couldnt bore scope it i would just slug it to begin with

8. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

You can pour it horizontally if you figure a way to dam it up. Pour it 1/2 full or less. remove, flip it over and pour the other side.

9. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

"Better'n the funny papers"

JRS likes this.
  10. carlsbad

Eddie, people tell me you're a good guy and I should give you a chance. But every time i un-ignore you, you disappoint me. OK. Bye.

11. JSH

JSH

I have used cero safe for years. As mentioned I would try to go shorter, two pieces. I cast a chamber cast once and got a bit to much into the barrel and had to melt it out.
    You don't mention bore size or twist. If you put a bunch of lube in it that may give some false readings.
    Good luck.
    Jeff

12. Shawnba67

I think the half cast idea is worth at least a try. I should have thought of that!
    I have 1 land that looks funny but it is hard to tell definatively just by looking in there.
    Dont want to cut off 5" because of a funny glare or such. Thanks fellas

13. carlsbad

If the cerrosafe doesn't want to flow up the chamber you can heat the barrel to 140 deg or so.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I think that what you are attempting is gonna be very difficult, and produce a vague and inaccurate casting at best.

That being said, you might try casting with a BRASS wire or brazing rod in the center to facilitate removal of the plug. jd

boltfluter likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

How does it shoot? Thats the only question that matters. Who cares what it looks like, or what it measures

kendog likes this.
  16. Shawnba67

Thats the most important question.
    Far from the only one that matters.

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

Tell me what else matters to you? Ive seen horrible barrels win match after match that if you cerrosafed it, air gaged it, borescoped it or knew how many rounds down it youd trash it. I look in hundreds of barrels a year both in the lathe and with a scope and i assure you there is not a test on earth that matters except the target.

DaveTooley and spclark like this.
  18. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

I don’t think Cerrosafe is really intended for this usage, though I suppose if one is really determined it can be made to work. I use it often for casting chambers & the first inch of the bore ahead of chamber, never had one get stuck.

I’d recommend the pre-lube (as already suggested) as well as isolating that part of the bore you want to get an idea of to limit the length of the casting to a minimum.

Be a real good trick under any circumstances if the suspect area’s in the middle....

For casting chambers I use a wadded patch shoved up into the bore with a cleaning rod. Once casting’s completed & cool enough the rod’s carefully run into the muzzle up to that patch. Couple quick taps with a wood block are all it takes to pop casting free.

Note time after casting carefully! Remember Cerrosafe EXPANDS during cooling! Wait too long it just might be gripping that rifling & grooves pretty darn tight!

19. Fred Bohl

Fred Bohl Gold $$ Contributor

20. hoz53

i run a rod with cleaning rod and a tight patch to just in front of chamber area then cast it with the rod in place. this has worked the best for me as far as pushing the cast out.

Ksracer likes this.