need a tikke 6x45 chambering gunsmith

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by Vixty, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Vixty

Vixty

Im from south ga and i'm looking for a gunsmith that can chamber a blank barrel for a tikka action to a 6x45.

Does anyone know of one? I do have whidden gunworks right here in the same town but its going to be about 420 just for the cambering and barrel threading plus the price of the barrel. Seems kind of high to me. Its going to be a paper puncher and deer rifle. Im looking at a 18in barrel with a shilen #5 contour.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. 1lnbrdg

1lnbrdg Silver $$ Contributor

I'd say that was a pretty fair price.

3. Vixty

Vixty

corrected original post

4. Ggmac

Ggmac

Is that price include remove and reinstall ?

5. Vixty

Vixty

I believe so.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You also need to face off the front of the tikka action to accomodate the larger dia barrel. Thats a fair price

7. krummarine

krummarine Silver $$ Contributor

Vix: Dave Sink out of Clemmons NC built mine on a 700 Action but he works on Tikkas also. His prices are very fair. I’ve taken five deer with mine so far.

8. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

Agreed. Nothing wrong with that price for a barrel and the chamber work.

lb-ft likes this.
  9. Bill K

Bill K

Whidden's price is about right for all that will be done and you will have a fully ready rifle to start shooting. Plus it is right in your own back yard/close and they will do great work.

10. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

If your doing stainless Douglas offers a barrel fitting service of 580 dollars plus shipping for there best grade barrel installed that's including the barrel.

Mark W, Ccrider, swd and 2 others like this.
  11. painter

painter Gold $$ Contributor

Find forum member skeetlee, just did one for me in .223 Very nice work, speak to him before you go elsewhere.

Mark W likes this.
  12. HandgunHTR

HandgunHTR

I just had my Tikka rebarreled by Southern Precision (bugholes.com). With the barrel, threading (both ends), chambering, fluting and bead blast, the total cost was right at $1000, so $420 for chambering and threading is pretty much in line with the rest.

13. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Hard to beat the douglas deal above- $580 complete including barrel!!

tmwinds likes this.
  14. JSH

JSH

I had a huge eye opening experience last year when I built my 6TCU rifle.
    This was my first hands on start to finish build. I fell fortunate to have such a good friend, mentor,teacher hunting and shooting buddy that is a tool and did maker, that has patience to answer my questions and explain things as well.

We have drank good whiskey and smoked good cigars over discussion of such machine work. I told him a tool and die maker, doesn’t make him a gunsmith. The same as a gunsmith doesn’t make them a tool and die maker. Though he does excell at both.

It’s a bit more than bore a hole in a rod with a center hole and throw some threads on one end or both. Tools and equipment don’t come cheap, or does the knowledge to know how to properly use them.

Just my take for the subject.

15. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Silver $$ Contributor

yup decent price....mine cost more to chamber and re-barrel