Need a New hunting scope

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Cjones87, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Cjones87

Cjones87

• Hey guys, looking for some help. Im having a new rifle being built. It's a defiance ultra light LA, with a proof carbon lite barrel and AG composites stock. It's chambered in 300WM.

It's going to be used for hunting mainly out west for elk and mule deer in the high country. For hunting im looking at a max of 600-700 yards. It'll also be used for target shooting, as far as I can get. We have a place where we can get 1300 yards.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a scope that I like. Im looking for a mil based scope that is in second focal. Preferably with a plex reticle. Not a fan of bdc or xmas reticles. I'd like for it to be under 25 oz. Either exposed or capped turrets is fine, as long as I can dial w them. Prefer a 50mm bell. Looking for a power range somewhere around 4-16. Trying to keep it under 2k.

I have a MK5 but for hunting it doesn't work for me. You can't see the reticle under 10 power. Looking to sell it so I have some cash for this new scope.

Only scopes that I've found are the VX-5 or 6s but their MOA. Looked at March scopes but people are 50 50 on weather they like them or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ares

Ares

Perfect longer range hunting scope imo.
    3-20x50 pm2 with msr reticle.
    Low enough zoom for close range, plenty top end magnification for your longer ranges.
    Ffp means you can use reticle at any mag setting. Its also useful on lower setting due to the reticle design and thicker posts.

Mil/mil with good exposed turrets, illuminated reticle.
    Durable quality scope.
    And the low light performance is very good compared to something like a leupold/ vortex etc. Something i personally find quite important as most hunting is dusk or dawn.

Doesnt quite tick your boxes on price and weight though.

The 318 kahles is also a very nice option.
    March i have little experience with, but they are very light weight in general.

3. Cjones87

Cjones87

My only experience w ffp is with this mk5 and at 3 power you can just barely see the reticle. So im a little leery of ffp for hunting. Price I'm willing to change. But weight, I don't want the rifle to feel unbalanced.

4. Ares

Ares

Well i dont know yor exact mk5 version and reticle, look up the reticle subtensions and it will give a fairly clear view of the differences.

A MK5 with a TMR reticle fx as i guess is the most common, measurement for the thin center lines according to top end mag pr Leupold ffp mil.

0.06 MIL FOR 8X
    0.05 MIL FOR 10X
    0.04 MIL FOR 14X
    0.03 MIL FOR 16X, 20X AND 40X
    0.02 MIL FOR 25X

while the ┬Ęcenter posts are 0.4mil.

A S&B p3L (mildot) Has 0.07 thick center lines. and 0.6 mil posts.
    And a MSR has 0.05 center lines and 0.6 mil posts

A Vortex EBR 1c has 0.02 center lines, and still 0.6 mil posts.

The EBR 1c on 4,5x is too thin and the short posts makes it not very well suited for the application of closer range hunting in my exprience.

But i like the balance with the MSR's thicker reticle and its longer posts including from the top, even at 3x i find it quite useable.
    But everyone eyes are different.
    The P3L again i find too thick when using it on higher magnifiction, while it works slightly better for close up at 3x.

The best thing you can do is go look through some scopes thats interesting.
    Theres also sfp models with thicker and thinner reticles so its worth studying the reticle sheets usually.

Meopta is just about to come out with the Optika6 series that looks interesting for a decent price, and the optics are usually really top notch.
    Locking elevation and capped windage, parallax, illum, 30 mm tube etc.
    The 3-18x50/56 fx has both ffp and sfp reticles with more simple style and larger subtentions.
    They certainly wont break the bank.
    Got a old worn 3-9x42, that trumps the big vortex razor hd 2 4,5-27 when it comes to low light peerformance.

march is a strong contender if your looking for light weight, decent quality, decent optics and reticle choices.

S&B also got some more hunting oriented scopes with useable turrets, and great optics in your weight range, but they will get past 2k$

5. Cjones87

Cjones87

I'll have to look at the reticle specs more closely. Im trying to keep the rifle under 9 pounds fully loaded. Im hoping the rifle is one that I keep forever and pass down. Thanks for the info. I wish a store local had some of these in stock, it'd make it alot easier to decide.

6. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

Take a look at the Swarovski Z6 scopes. The 2.5-15X44 or the 3-18X50. They are in Mills, second focal plane and have the plex reticle. the 2.5-15 also comes in 56 mm objective.. They are around 20 to 21 oz., and about at your price point. Great scopes.. Clear, bright and mine track perfectly. The custom turret that they will make for you is one of the best IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

Thumbs up on the Meopta recommendation, all of my hunting rifles sport Meoptas, they are great scopes with very good low light performance at a great price.

8. hunter67

hunter67

I bought a Vortex Razor HD light hunter and its been great for a hunting scope. I like covered caps for hunting and its second focal and its in MOA which is what im used to. After using it for a season now I will buy another one