Need 6mm Grendel/AR / 243 LBC bolt gun load data for 90 gr pills

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Bachekermooni, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Bachekermooni

Bachekermooni

Strictly hunting using the 6mm Hornady ELD-X 90 gr bullets and Lapua Brass. This is for a new bolt gun I am having built. Any load data is greatly appreciated.

2. SG4247

SG4247

I would start with H4895 and CFE 223.

Good luck!

3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

8208 and Lt32 are good, too. Some lots of Benchmark can be excellent in the case. It likes some pressure. Just don't go overboard.

4. Bachekermooni

Bachekermooni

Thanks guys. These are wildly varying powders (in terms of burn rate). Is this case that forgiving? I just do not want to buy lots of powders. have none of these on my bench. Do you guys have actual experience with 6mm G in bolt action with these powders? I have read a lot on-line about the 6mm G, but it is almost exclusively on gas guns. I really really really appreciate your actual experience with similar bullet weights with bolt guns. Thanks in advance.

5. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

Aren't You basically working with a 6 PPC. ? The 6.5 Gr. bolt gun likes high pressure, top loads for best accuracy has been my experience, TAC with the heavy bullets and H 335 with lighter bullets has worked for me in the 6.5 Grendel bolt action.

6. JohnW...ski

JohnW...ski

I shoot a 6 mm Ar cartridge in a bench rest rig with very good results. It is a 24" heavy varmint 1-8 twist barrel. I am using Berger 90 gr BT target bullets, Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primers and have had really good success with 28.0 gr. of Varget. Lately I have been using Vihtavuori N133 successfully but you need to be careful with N133, it is easy to get expanded primer pockets. I was getting improved groups as I increased the charges above
    28.0 gr. until at 29.8 all the primers started falling out. I went back to 28.0 gr. but as summer wore on and temps increased the pressure signs came back. I then started working down and found another node at 27.2 gr. where the group sizes were nearly as good as the hot loads.
    Good luck,
    John

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  7. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

I would think N135 might be a better option for the 6 AR than 133. Or even good old 4895.

8. HomeSlice

HomeSlice

I have a 6fatrat space gun, but I've had good luck with H4895 with Hornady 87 and SMK 95 and 110s

9. Bachekermooni

Bachekermooni

Thanks John.