Necking down 6.5-47 to 22-47

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by bobinpa, Mar 7, 2019.

1. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

Hi guys. I know there a re a couple of 22-47L gurus on here, so could someone give me the basics on necking down to 22-47.
    I have some brand new 6.5-47 brass and I want to neck it down to 22.
    Can I do this with a 6.5-47 FL bushing die if I just use the right bushings?
    Will this create a donut?
    I would like to turn the necks just enough to clean them up also, so in my mind, once I neck them down I can turn the donut off while cleaning up the necks. Am I thinking right or am I way off base here.
    A little guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Bob

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I do not shoot a 22-47L or any 22 for that matter. However, necking down is a standard procedure no matter the cartridge(s).. Since you are going down quite some distance, from .264 to .224. You will need a few tools: 1.) neck turning implements; 2.) 2 / body dies, assuming they have them. OR you will have a major duty "mess" on your hands, 3.) F/L .22-47 Bushing die.
    1.) Take your neck turning Die /Mandrel with a .264 expander mandrel and expand the necks. ****Assuming**** ( I hate using that term) assuming the 6.5 x 47 neck wall thickness is 14 thousandths, you will need to turn them down to AT LEAST 12 thousandths, of course depending on your reamer. But I would imagine 12 thousandths is necessary.
    2.) Take the 6 x 47 BODY DIE and run the cases into that. This will create a perfect 6 a 47 case with the case mouth of about a 6 x 47 fired round.
    3.) Now take the 22 x 47 BODY DIE and do the same as step #2. Now measure the neck wall thickness again. You will notice it has grown in thickness substantially. Now TRY and run the case as it now sits into a .22 expander mandrel. If it is a relatively tight fit, you can turn the necks down again to the proper thickness to make at least a 3 thousandths neck wall clearance. IF IT IS NOT a relatively tight fit, measure the outside diameter of the neck and take a bushing (try one with 1 thousandths smaller than the O.D. of the neck) if it is relatively tight, turn the necks down to the proper size. If it is still somewhat loose, which I don't think it will be, go down 1 thousandths more. Once you reach the proper fit for the 22 cal cutting mandrel, you will be ready for step #4.
    4.) Turn the necks down to the proper neck wall thickness.
    5.) Once this is done, anneal the brass..
    6.) Now find out the proper bushing you will need, after the turning of the necks from step #4, for the neck tension you desire. I always try about a 1 thousandths neck tension.
    7.) F/L size with your proper bushing..
    8.) Prime
    9.) Use a Q-Tip and swab the necks out with Imperial Dry Neck Lube
    10.) Charge and seat the bullets..

After the first firing, you will have absolutely perfect brass.. This "procedure" should be used when necking down 2 steps or more. TRICK: Prior to neck turning the first time, while they are still at .264, take the OUTSIDE chamfer tool and knock off that edge and your cutter on your neck turning tool will glide onto the brass.

3. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to type that out for me. Probably going to dive into it this weekend.

4. ShootDots

Remember: Take everything slow and don't force anything. Set aside a few pieces of brass to "test" on and take it one step at a time. If you follow what I put there, you won't have any issues>>>BUT don't force anything.. You will figure it out>>>and when you do, the others will go smooth as silk! Remember: case neck turning lube and case sizing lube are your friends in this endeavor.
    ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION: when you first use your F/L Bushing die>>DO NOT USE AN EXPANDER BALL>>>REMOVE IT FIRST!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    WyleWD and snoopy001 like this.
  5. snoopy001

snoopy001

6. snoopy001

snoopy001

I did the same operation on Lapua Palma down to a .22-250 in order to
    to have SRP brass.First step neck turning then through 25 Savage full , next .243 Win and finally .22-250 Redding body type and type "S" bushing for proper neck tension.

ShootDots likes this.
  7. ShootDots

It is the only way to make reformed brass properly.

snoopy001 likes this.
  8. JustinP

JustinP

I read this post with great interest. Can I ask, why do you use a ‘next-size-down’ body die? If my understanding is correct, that only sizes body and shoulder section of the case? Will it partly size down the neck also, given the neck area of said die is presumably smaller than the case that is the next diameter up (e.g. turned 6.5x47 case going through a 6x47 body die?)

9. ShootDots

Yes it will.. A body die will size the neck down to what amounts to a fired case. Example: take a piece of "Palma" 308 brass and size it down with a body die of a 7mm-08. 1.) The neck will get thicker and 2.) case mouth will be just about the size of a fired 7mm-08 case mouth.

10. JustinP

JustinP

Ok. Got it. Thanks very much.

ShootDots likes this.