Neck Turning, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Area51, May 25, 2018.

1. ClassCat

ClassCat Unlimited

A little history. Don "THE PUMPKIN" Nielsen is retired and not in good health. Don did it for the Love of Accurate machining, and still shoots competition SR Bench rest. Don was a tool and die maker for SKUNK WORKS and worked on the U-2, Space Shuttle,SR-71, and Stealth projects. I own several of his tools, and yes they are a PITA to set up, but once they are precise repeatability is NEVER and issue

JMP likes this.
  2. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

I do have both the K&M & 21st Century. I think both are good, but the K&M is my favorite, as I have 7 set up for my rifles. They are reasonably priced and with the heat shrink holder, very comfortable. Another plus is the wide variety of complementary expanders and tools Rodger offers. Like I stated, it's what you prefer. I could live with either. I have no experience with the Pumpkin or PMA.

BigKev likes this.
  3. TerryH

TerryH

Thanks Dusty.

4. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

The Sinclair 4000 is very good. It’s very easy to set up and consistent. The eccentric mandrel design is the way to go.

Also, get carbide mandrels. They’re worth it.

LHSmith likes this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse

Benchrite Case Lathe........Get's no better. Get carbide turning mandrels ....That is good advise^^^^^^^^^^

Regards
    Rick

INShooter likes this.
  6. 20Tactical

20Tactical Silver $$ Contributor

I found a NT-4000 used today with 7 of the rifle cartridges in Carbide mandrels. I think the E22 means "E" for expander on most of the calibers but on the 240 and 250, it has a T240 on the expander. Wonder what the "T" means?

7. retired

retired

turning

8. 20Tactical

20Tactical Silver $$ Contributor

I'm new to the NT-4000. Does the E mean expander? Why doesn't the "T" say "E" like the others? I have to measure them both to find out.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  9. retired

retired

e for expanding the neck
    t used when turning the neck
    t will be very close to the inside dia of the neck after expanded.

10. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

Typically, you have an expander mandrel that's .001" or so bigger than the turning mandrel. You run the case into an expanding die, and then turn.

I'm probably alone on this, so take that into consideration, but I don't use an expander unless I absolutely have to. With carbide mandrels, I've found I can take the brass straight out of the box and turn it. The fit is a little on the tight side, but a little too tight is better than a little too loose. Sometimes, if you expand, they're too loose. There should be zero-clearance fit between case and turning mandrel.

11. retired

retired

bruno's carries the PUMPKIN line.
    (Kelbly's sold it out to them)

12. tred1956

tred1956 Gold $$ Contributor

I use the K&M set up. Carbide everything that is available and this LITTLE motor LOL to turn them It is from harbor Freight and had a machinist friend make the adapter to fit Lyman Universal case holder. Works like a charm. Don't even have to bolt it down. The weight of the motor holds it in place.
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BCsaw likes this.
  13. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Whats the output rpm on that grinder- is that a gearbox?

15. tred1956

tred1956 Gold $$ Contributor

I believe it is 160 RPM. When I built it I called K&M and they said it would be perfect. I have been very satisfied. I think the guy was in Arizona that built the adapter actually he built two identical for me and furnished the metal for only $20.00 (He didn't want that but I insisted). Bought the grinder sharpener from Harbor Freight, believe it was about $69.00 minus 20% off coupon. Universal holder was $16.00 plus shipping from Lyman. Not bad for less than $100.00.
    Safe shooting
    Doug

16. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

I have the K&M and would or would not recommend it. They all have a mandrel and all have a cutter. I think an important factor is whether or not it can easily and precisely be used with a lathe or lathe like product or in use with a drill or a power screw driver at a very low speed where you set up the drill or power screwdriver in some sort of holder for bench use. I have a shooting pal who bought the entire 21st Century setup. He returned it because of the lathe. Others here praise it.

You pays your money and takes your chances, unfortunately.

17. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Dusty-

How many rpm's on the lathe or is it adjustable?
    Do you know the model number?

It looks a lot better than what I have built to secure the power screwdriver I am using on my bench hodge podge.

I have so many coupons from Harbor Freight, I bet they will give me money to walk out of the store with it.