Neck turning for a Reaper

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Bob Miller, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bob Miller

Bob Miller Silver $$ Contributor

IMG_1996.JPG Looking for opinions and advice on turning necks on 6.5 Creedmoor for a factory RPR. Using Peterson brass. So let me know if you think it's worthwhile or a waste of time on a factory gun with a factory barrel

:eek::(:p:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O:D:cool::mad::)o_O;):eek::D;):)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Clancy

Clancy

How does it shoot right now?

3. XTR

XTR

I don't turn necks on my 308s for F-TR. I shot the highest V count of any shooter on the first day of the FCWC Rutland cup team matches, and I think I had the second highest overall at the end of the second day (I had a team mate who's was higher).

I think it is something you can do if you don't have anything else to do, but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Keith Glasscock and rardoin like this.
  4. Kurz

Kurz

First of all, I would cast the chamber on your RPR to get an idea of what sort of shape it's in. Ruger has never been known for quality assurance in their chamber work. Speed and profit motivate them.

Then measure the Peterson brass to see what the neck thickness is compared to the chamber cast.

I don't have to turn Peterson brass for the cases I buy.

Regards.

5. Bob Miller

Bob Miller Silver $$ Contributor

Ok I never thought of making a cast, that would answer the question of turning or not. Thanks KURZ

6. Steelnecktie

Steelnecktie Silver $$ Contributor

What's the neck measure on a fired piece of brass compared to new? If a bullet won't slide in a fired piece of brass, neck turning will probably help. Just a quick way to check.