My unacceptable answer from PA's liberal Senator...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by MrMajestic, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Dear Mr. Williams:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Second Amendment and the regulation of firearms. I appreciate hearing from you.

Pennsylvania has a rich tradition of hunting, and I support the Second Amendment right of law-abiding Americans to own guns for protection, sporting and collection. But, like many Americans, I believe we need commonsense gun legislation that will help to prevent tragic mass shootings as well as the daily gun violence that takes the lives of approximately 33,000 Americans each year.

The Sandy Hook massacre affected me deeply. The shooter used a military-style assault weapon with magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition. Realizing that he chose this weapon because he wanted to inflict the most damage in the shortest amount of time, and that he would have tried to kill hundreds of children if he could have, led me to reevaluate how we approach gun violence as a Nation. After careful study, I decided to support legislation to close loopholes in the existing background check system, as well as legislation to institute a federal ban on military-style assault weapons and to restrict high-capacity magazines. I voted in favor of these measures, as well as efforts to close a loophole allowing known and suspected terrorists on the Terrorist Watchlist to purchase firearms, when they came before the Senate for consideration in 2013, 2015 and 2016. None of these measures gained enough support to pass the Senate.

Since Sandy Hook, thousands of Americans have lost their lives to gun violence. We have witnessed some of the deadliest mass shootings in modern U.S. history at Charleston, Orlando, Las Vegas, Sutherland Springs, Parkland, Thousand Oaks, and Santa Fe, Texas. Gun violence recently took a toll on our own Commonwealth. On the morning of Saturday, October 27, 2018, we witnessed the most deadly act of violence against the Jewish community in American history. As congregants of the Tree of Life Synagogue in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh were holding Shabbat morning services, including a bris to welcome a newborn child into their community, they became targets of horrific violence because of their religious beliefs. Eleven congregants were taken from their families and six other individuals were wounded, including four police officers who responded to the scene. The suspect was armed with three handguns and one AR-15 assault rifle. My deepest condolences are with the families of the victims, and my prayers are with the survivors, Tree of Life congregants and members of both the Squirrel Hill and Pittsburgh Jewish communities, whose lives were forever changed by a hateful act of terror.

As a public official, I believe my colleagues and I have an obligation to enact commonsense reforms that will keep Americans safe and reduce the likelihood of gun violence incidents. We are a Nation of people who come together, roll up our sleeves and solve difficult problems. We can pass smart measures to reduce gun violence while fully respecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. Please be assured that should the Senate consider legislation affecting firearm regulation, I will have your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Bob Casey

United States Senator

Rube Shooter likes this.
  2. AJC

AJC

What he says seems good but what he means is a loss of liberty. Beware the sly speach of the serpent

3. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

Definitely a politician......

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Wonder how many times his secretary has copied and pasted that into an email on his behalf?

5. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

Some politicians are dumb like a fox and others are just dumb...... I honestly believe that some people that share his views actually believe what they are saying.... and those are the scariest .

'Freak, 300_whisper, mikeinct and 6 others like this.
  6. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

That's a way better response than I got from my house representative. I got a very generic response to a very specific question. Exactly what you expect from a corporation that just wants you to go away, but very disappointing from a politician whose wages I am funding. At least it appears your Senator (or whoever writes his emails) might have actually read your letter.

300_whisper, BW64 and Rube Shooter like this.
  7. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Bob Casey is just another political hack. Like most politicians, he hasn't looked into the underlying causes of the shootings he cites, which have nothing to do with the legal ownership of firearms and a lot to do with inaction by legal entities (school systems and law enforcement agencies come to mind) with regard to behavior and mental health. I will say that Casey is good at covering up his actual feelings about the private ownership of firearms from much of the public, so he's definitely a politician with a (somewhat hidden) agenda.

BW64, 370bc, MrMajestic and 2 others like this.
  8. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

ah, "commonsense." i.e.; dissembling -- liberty. Be wary. Thanks for the post.

'Freak, 300_whisper, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  9. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

If they truly cared about safety, they would enforce the laws they have and enforce the penalties they have in place.

300_whisper, mikeinct, BW64 and 6 others like this.
  10. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Well call me dumb, but if 33,000 people were dying each year from gun violence, I think we would have heard about it. So, how many morons does it take to elect a moron?

'Freak, 300_whisper, mikeinct and 5 others like this.
  11. Jalen

Jalen

2/3 of that 33k death from guns are suicides. So of the remaining 11k how many are gang/drug/felons related?Those people aren’t going to gun shows, maybe they got em from Obama’s fast and furious

'Freak, Joe Salt, 300_whisper and 8 others like this.
  12. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Gold $$ Contributor

Common Sense tells the whole story. I.e.;

CRIMALS WILL NOT ABIDE BY ANY LAWS.

The gun grabbers ideas disarm the law-abiding citizens Only, and who does That make safer?
    The Criminals.
    No intelligent human could believe that altering the 2A, in Any way, could stop the tragic losses.
    That would create countless more victims immediately!
    Government needs to worry about
    enforcing the current laws.
    It's Not the guns, but the nutjobs.
    We have the right to arm ourselves from tyranny, and the ill willed, as is written!

msinc, BW64, 370bc and 5 others like this.
  13. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

1,433 were shot and 246 killed in Chicago in 2018. Just recently we had footage on the news of an MS-13 member, who had been released for another crime under sanctuary city rule, shooting a rival gang member on a train platform in New York city. Correct me if I am wrong but both cities forbid ownership of pistols already but these incidents are a rather common occurrence. So I, like bobinpa, ask why aren't current laws enforced instead of enacting new laws that are focused on law abiding citizens?

msinc, BW64, gmorris and 2 others like this.
  14. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

He lost me at "common sense".

'Freak, 300_whisper, msinc and 4 others like this.
  15. ED3

ED3 Gold $$ Contributor

The answer lies in your question.

Rube Shooter and Dub like this.
  16. Rsadams

Rsadams

As ex-leo..... This!!....Stop the revolving door prison system , enforce the never ending laws we have... There's so many laws on the books already it's crazy.... I can't remember the number exactly but on actually enforcement of existing laws on straw purchase and attempted buys by felons it's stupid low...

Plus his statement is a typical rubber stamped statement and totally BS...

New Gun and MrMajestic like this.
  17. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Law abiding citizens are easier to intimidate and manipulate. We worry about having our possessions taken away and ending up broke from paying thieving attorneys and ending up in prison. It may only end when the law abiding citizens join together and unite against those that would disarm you. If you were to chose the lifestyle of a thug, hoodlum or become a member of a gang you would not be concerned about anything the government does

'Freak, MrMajestic, Mark W and 4 others like this.
  18. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

We probably have no idea how bad the coming year is going to be. They are not above tacking bills to important bills that are going to be passed, so they slip them over on us. I was glad to see Trump say he is going to read the border wall funding bill closely to look for land mines. I am beginning to think it is best to vote to disrupt unless a candidate has a rock solid record of voting against legislation harmful to the Second Amendment. When I say vote to disrupt, I mean vote the primaries for new faces if they support the Second.

msinc, MrMajestic and Rsadams like this.
  19. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

"Law abiding citizens are easier to intimidate and manipulate."

There are 100 Senators, 2 per state. There are 435 Representatives in the House. This is legislation, not intimidation.
    Your state voted them in, right? So these Senators and Representatives - represent YOU + I.

535 persons, elected by U.S. citizens, to act on their behalf. This is not intimidation. This is reality. (Backstop is the Supreme Court).
    These are our representatives, just over 500, for a country of about 325 million souls.

OK, those are not good odds. advocacy on our behalf - lobbyists. This is the NRA, for
    2A folks.

Law abiding has nothing to do with it. sorry.

20. Spaz

Spaz

Most politicians care about their base and keeping those votes. Every letter or phone call I have ever made to a Rep or Senator has been met with the same result. Party first. Party always. The letter you got back doesn't surprise me anymore. We need to oust career politicians at the ballot box.

While many of us are involved with firearms as a sport, to eat, recreation or day-to-day self-defense, the Constitution is not about that. The Constitution recognizes and protects the People's Right to take our government back by force, should despots or tyrants take over. The more the elected officials work to remove those protections, the more concerned we should be about the future of our nation. The more we should encourage our peers to get out and vote. Better yet, run for office.

I'm sorry my first post is a political one, and I am telling you all something you already know. However, it appears to me, that it is a truth that bears repeating.

'Freak, Bc'z, clunker and 5 others like this.