My Short Range 6BR Barrel Spec Look Good?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Phil3, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Phil3

Phil3

Before I order a barrel, want to be sure all correct (new at this). For a Savage Precision Target Action.
    Barrel Brand: Brux (cut-rifled) or Shilen (button-rifled).

Barrel Specs: 6mmBR, 1:13, .2704" neck, 26" long, 0.800" or 1.00" muzzle (undecided).

Reamer: Printed on reamer.
    6MM BR LAPUA
    NORMA FIN
    045 FB 1 - 30 (degree mark after the 1)
    2704 NK
    PTG 1/13

Looks like .045" freebore and .2704" neck. Reamer loaned to me.

Bullets: 64.2 grain Berger Column, 68 grain Berger and Bart's Ultras (both 68s).

Brass: Lapua blue box (no neck turning preferred).

Use: 100 yard bench shooting (no competition). Occasional 200 - 300 yard.

Thanks.

Phil

2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I would want a zero freebore for light bullets in a br

kountryboy2 likes this.
  3. Clavius-Walker

Clavius-Walker

Back it down to a 14 twist also.

4. Phil3

Phil3

5. Clavius-Walker

Clavius-Walker

Throw that book out the window, benchrest shooters have been using 1-14 for 30+ years, some even going to a 1-15 in warmer weather.

6. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

This^^^

7. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo Silver $$ Contributor

Phil,

I've had very good results using a Shilen Stainless Select Match Ratchet Rifled (4-groove) 6BR at 24 inches finished length with a .266 neck. I shoot Bart's or JDS 68 grain BTs 9 thou off touch. My first one of these was the S7 contour; my current version is the S8 bull barrel. Both shoot exactly the same. I have no idea what the free bore is. HTH

Dennis

8. Phil3

Phil3

I am the OP. Interesting...and contradictory info.

1) The reamer I have been loaned was crafted by Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool & Gauge to suit dummy rounds of Berger 68 grain and Bart's Ultras in 68 grain. It has .045" freebore.
    2) When I contacted PT&G for 64.2 grain Berger Column bullets and 68 grain flat base Berger's, I was told to use .038" freebore.
    3) Some say use 0.000" freebore.
    4) In this link (http://www.6mmbr.com/Kiffreamer.html), Dave Kiff of PT&G says .060" freebore for 60 - 68 grain bullets.

On this loaned reamer, not sure how far the bullets were seated, which would make a difference, but given the figures shown, I am thinking .045" is in the ballpark, which given the long neck of the 6BR should allow flexibility in adjusting distance to lands.

What will I get with a twist slower than 1:13 (i.e., 1:14)?

Phil

9. Phil3

Phil3

I was considering that exact same barrel, at 24" or 26" length, but not sure you got a .266" neck. Shilen told me they have one reamer, and it was either .093" or .098" freebore and as I recall a .272 neck. A loaded round with my new Lapua brass is .268", so no way I could a .266" neck without neck turning.

10. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Phil,

The 045 freebore will be perfect for not only my bullets but most other short range benchrest bullets. I use a .045 in my PPCs.

I've shot zero freebore, .070, 060, 050 , 045, and 030. Prefer the 045.

Most short range guys are shooting 13.5 or 14 twist barrels.

Bart

urbanrifleman and WyleWD like this.
  11. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

I just chambered a .045" FB 6 BR for myself last weekend and it's not exactly a versatile FB. I wish it were shorter. If 68 Berger's and Bart's and similar are all you'll shoot it'll be fine but with a neck as long as a 6BR you might as well have some versatility. Zero to .020" would handle about anything you'll shoot out of a 13" or 14" without wishing it were something different.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    FJIM likes this.
  12. FJIM

FJIM

Zero Free bore in the 6BR with the 65/68 gr's works best..I also like .020 maybe .030 at the most.
    I like the .269NK best, seemed to work well as far as neck tension went...I did a .268 and did not like it as well
    A .2704 you are going to need to turn anyway. I did a .2704 in a dasher and did not like it..
    If I was going to spec a new reamer it would be .010 free bore .269NK But yea .045 and .2704 will work but you will struggle. bullets will be out far in the neck and getting the neck tension just right ah I guess once you get used to something that works well changing it seems to have struggles.
    Actually I was shooting a .025 free bore .269NK in a 6ppc a Borden spec's reamer actually Jim did the barrel and I really liked it..Perfect for the column bullet and worked well with the 66Gr er's I shot a lot of..
    I would go BRUX Barrel if it was me.
    also don't rule out the Bart's 66gr ULTRA don't know if they still make them but was one of the better shooting bullet's for me. I have a box in my hand right now. I gave up on the column bullet sold all I had. I just like the 66gr's .

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  13. AndyTaber

AndyTaber

I am shooting a 6mmBR, 14 twist, zero FB, .2704 neck (no turning, no problems). (I have loaned this reamer out several times and haven't had any complaints yet). This is my 100/200 yard Benchrest gun shooting Berger Column bullets. My first 6BR reamer had a .050 FB, after a year of shooting I decided i wanted more bullet in the neck as I chased the lands. I sent it back and had it re-ground for zero FB. This has given me more flexibility and I wouldn't have it any other way. It works for me.

14. FJIM

FJIM

I had trouble in my Dasher with a .2704 NK some of my loaded rounds were like .2695 so I ended up turning anyway.
    I always turn for .003 clearance and end up .0025 with the pressure ring. checked with a Mic not a dial caliper.

15. AndyTaber

AndyTaber

I have the .2704 neck in both my 14 twist short range gun and 8 twist shooting 105's at 600 yards. My loaded neck size in both is .268. Maybe something changes when you turn it into a dasher?

16. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo Silver $$ Contributor

Phil,

My .266 necks are about 3 and 1 year old respectively. I retired the first at about 2000 rounds; the second is still going strong. Shilen may have limited their reamers to what sells best. My next barrel is a .272 neck 12-twist 26-inch FL. I again have no idea what the FB is, but I have no problem (need) to chase the lands too far. The first barrel I had to add 1 thou to COAL after about 1000 rounds (still seating at 9 thou off touch). I have not had to do that with the current barrel - yet. I also don't shoot a screaming hot load - about 3300 fps using LT-32 and the 68BTs.

To put all this in perspective. My first Shilen barrel was an 8-twist ratchet with .2704 neck, as explained to me by Dave Kiff who supplies Shilen's reamers (I drove Jennifer crazy at Shilen when I was just starting out). I retired that barrel at 2000 rounds but the last group I shot with it was a 0.077 for 3 shots using Berger 80 grain FBs.

As you can see, I'm quite happy with Shilen barrels, especially the drop-in ability. I plan on shooting this current barrel until it gives up the ghost - I just hope I can recognize when that starts to happen!

Dennis

17. Phil3

Phil3

Thank you. As you can see below, Andy Taber found 0.050" FB ended up being long for the Berger "Column" bullets. It appears you have not had that experience. Maybe because of where the bullet was in the neck? - Phil

Do you wish the FB shorter because you shoot bullets lighter than 68 grain and they are too short to reach the lands without sitting out at the extreme far end of the neck?

Thank you. I measured a loaded round (Lapua) and the neck diameter was .2680". Possibly snug in a .2704" neck, leaving .0024 total clearance, but should avoid neck turning. ???

With ,025" FB, how far out in the neck did you have the bullets? I assume you were touching the lands, or...?

Hmmm..., seems like the Columns will be at the extreme end of the neck with 0.045" FB.

Given the 6mmBR neck length of around 0.322", and a minimum of .020" of the bullet in the neck, one has 0.300" inch within the neck to locate the bullet. Seems that someone's preference on FB depends very heavily on where in the neck the bullet goes. I would like to know from those making recommendations, the bullet they are using and where in the neck it is located. I have come to understand that some prefer the bullet bearing surface end (before any boattail) should be .050" above the case neck. ???

18. FJIM

FJIM

phil3 the .025 free bore was a 6ppc...berger column's were in just over half the neck a 68 gr was in just above the neck shoulder junction..in my ppc..I looked and I seen 3 boxes of column's on my shelf, thought I got rid of them all.
    No I had a long throat 6BR actually the smith claims it was short now days I think it was a shallow throat and that is what the smith told me but at the time I did not understand that all I knew was it was long..a 68gr was in less than half the neck I shot a lot of berger 70gr MEF's in it because they were in 3/4 of the neck. So what I did was seated the bullet in to where it looked good to me and some were jumping .120 and it shot well.....199's to .250 was common. varmint bullets 65V max's were .280's .350's..So it shot very well...It was a .262NK....My next one was a .269NK and Zero Free Bore and a column was in 3/4 neck..most other short 65-66 gr were in 7/8 neck...I liked it and it was short..It shot very well...many .160 5 shot groups with it and cases seemed to last forever, neck tension stayed consistent for a very long time..I tried a .268 and it did not seem to work as well..the .2704 neck in my dasher I felt was too tight and I had to turn them..also ran into neck's did not stay consistent just enough to drive you crazy.. I am sure if you go the .045 free bore and .2704 NK you could be just fine and shoot very well BUT the zero will be better with more bullets and in further in the neck less tension but same grip. due to more neck holding and possible better alignment. More clearance in the neck is better than less. So .004 is more forgiving than .002 I think .0025 to .003 is the min I like...I run .004 in one rifle and it shoots well .. I have shot fitted necks where you shoot and just load them never size them..but that practice has been proven to not be as good as .003...I have had 5 14T 6BR's but don't have any right now..been shooting the 6XC. But I dream of building another one. but may never. just really don't need one..
    I should say my first 6BR 14T was 1999 and I got rid of my last one two years ago.it had about 1,800 rounds on it but still shot well. Most of my 6BR's over them years had 1,500 to 2K threw them...So I spent a lot of time at the range with them and I spent as much time with several 22 and 6 ppc's I even shot some short range 100/200 yards BR with them..just got too expensive for me and I lost interest in little holes at 100 yards...Having a good time shooting the 6XC's out to 1K and even hunting with them and have taken quite a few whitetail's with them and have 4 tags to fill this year.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  19. JohnMill

JohnMill Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Phil 1 deg dash 30 minutes? Throating.