My new little hunting buddy....

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by FryeGuy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

So my oldest son (7 yr old) has the hunting bug. He was with me last year on a few hunts, and even came close to scoring on his first deer. He was by my side when I shot my first bear as well. all year, he shot his little CZ scout until he was very good with open sights, then I added a scope, which he really picked up on quickly. I have a model 600 in 6mm which I cut to match the stock lengths on both guns, with identical scopes. He could shoot it well. We had no luck on youth day this year. I took him on opening day of rifle season, in the evening. He scored on his first deer. We didn't even make it to our treestand. impressive shot. We didn't have time to get down on the bi-pods. I just let him use my arms as a rest. she was 60-80 yards away, hiding behind an apple tree, with a little too much chest exposed for him. he made a perfect shot and she ran out of sight, but not too far. Then yesterday he scored big time. We had a bear come in on us, which is what we really wanted. We saw it Tuesday evening, but he couldn't get a shot. I could see it, but he was too short to see over the rise we were on, to see the bear. It came back yesterday evening, but from a different area. It was walking straight to us. We were hunting on the ground, and I was getting really nervous. He kept it in the scope once he could see it, and it just kept coming. I was already reaching for my rifle. I told him it would stop, and when it did it would raise it's head to look around again. When it does, shoot it center of the chest. Otherwise, if it just kept walking I was going to shoot it, as it was getting way too close. The bear came by one last tree, stopped, and looked right at us. I told him he had to shoot or I was going too. He let it fly, and the bear folded right where it stood. We flipped out. I was relieved and over-joyed to say the least. The little 6mm rem did it's job. It was a 100sbt, sierra. It destroyed. I recovered the bullet, after it took out several inches of spine. It was 24 steps away from where we were sitting. On the way home, I told him we achieved all the goals I had set for him hunting this year, and even more. A few minutes up the road, he told me he had his own new goal. I asked what it was. He wants to shoot a squirrel now.

Attached Files:

Jackal2016, wholman, jepp2 and 24 others like this.
  2. jreedtn

jreedtn Silver $$ Contributor

Awesome job and hats off to you for taking a youngster hunting!

pacificman likes this.
  3. pacificman

pacificman

Great story and I would say you are blessed to have such an awesome hunting partner!!! ;):)

rckendall likes this.
  4. allen529

allen529

The whole story was good but the ending made it great! Awesome job brother with the next generation of hunters.

5. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats to you both,what a great story .Great to see a smile on His face after a successful hunt...and love the squirrel goal. Funny how He wants to get a squirrel,most adults would want to go after bigger game.

mikeinct likes this.
  6. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Luckiest Man in the world..............

7. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

Hoping to see my grandchildren in pictures like that soon. You are indeed lucky and Blessed.

8. rckendall

rckendall Gold $$ Contributor

I'll second that!

9. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Awesome! Now go get that squirrel. :D

10. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

I'll pay him to kill the ones in my back yard! Congratulations on all counts!

11. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

I have a bunch of black squirrels in my lawn. He can come here and collect a trophy to match the bear!

MrMajestic likes this.
  12. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Neat.

Neither my kids or grandkids hunt. Took my kids out many times when they were young. No interest. Even today I give different guns to my one son in the hope he would get interested again.

Nothing.

Nice to see you are passing it on.

daleboy and MrMajestic like this.
  13. FryeGuy

FryeGuy

We are having lots of fun. He gets mad if I hunt without him. He went back to his grandparents this weekend. I really missed having him along this evening. Funny how things change when kids are involved. I missed a buck and I’m sort of glad. I’ll take him back and maybe he’ll get it. He’s the luckiest little thing. He’ll nail it if it comes back. Problem is the taxidermy bill..,...

14. hedgehoghunter

hedgehoghunter

Wow time flies . ^5