My little guys first hunt.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Mtstalker, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Took the wife and kid out today. My buddy was along with us helping spot. Looked all morning and we turned around to head home and bam! There was some antelope 398yds away. Needless to say i got a bit excited and shot way high first shot. Second shot connected good. He ran 80yds and stopped and i put another in him. The 260 remington with 143eld-x at 2820 sure does let you you when you hit. Also saw some little mule deer that show some potential in a few years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    jim_k, SSL, jimmymac and 5 others like this.
  2. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Awesome memories right there, congrats.

Whiteghost184 and Mtstalker like this.
  3. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

:D:D:DNOTHING LIKE THE YOUNG ONE GOING ALONE ON A HUNT !!!!!

Mtstalker likes this.
  4. FeMan

FeMan CA Hunter's Ed Instructor Silver $$ Contributor

That's good family fun right there! Congratulations and nice goat. I am liking the eld-x so far too,

Mtstalker likes this.
  5. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Thank you guys!

6. 5spd

5spd

Start em young, good family photo to match.

7. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

Great Photo. Enjoy them while they are young. They grow up fast and are gone. Mine is 27 now and I wish that he was 4 again. Antelope looks like he is grinning too.

8. CTK

CTK Gold $$ Contributor

Awesome. I did not get the whole take your kid hunting and fishing thing for years. I never went hunting with my dad and rarely went fishing. Was far from denied a great childhood but this wasn't really his thing. My older son is mildly autistic and has gone a couple of times. My younger son (pictured in avatar) is a sporting fiend. I have a hard time getting out these days on my own. If I escape without him, I feel guilty. He is 8 and will get a deer this year. Now realize that a ground blind is the only way to go with an 8 year old. He has a youth 7mm-08 and is fired up about youth weekend.

Btw... insulated youth coveralls are the key to kid comfort. I have never donned a pair of coveralls but a friend turned me on to them for kids. Money well spent.

Mtstalker likes this.
  9. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

I was lucky and started going at the age of 3, when i was able to legally hunt at 12 i was fully addicted. All of my memorys as a kid envolve hunting or shooting of somekind. I hope he likes it when he is older. Now im the only one in my family that hunts and spend 95% of my time hunting alone which is nice but at the same time sucks.

Terry Altom likes this.
  10. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

I'm with you. 99% of the time I hunt alone. I started hunting at 9 yrs old and except for my wild years I've always hunted a lot. All my son thinks about is working out which is good,it keeps him out of trouble,not that he has ever been any trouble. Hunting by your self is nice but sometimes it's nice to have company. Enjoy the little ones, they too fast grow up and leave..

CTK, Those Hot Hands help a kid out. Put some in mittens their back pockets and in the boots and that warmth sure does help them out. I think that's why my son doesn't like to hunt as much because he doesn't like cold weather. I remember him shaking when he was small..

11. ebb

ebb

He's starting early!!!! I think the muley on the lower right is ready now.

12. wvlongshot

wvlongshot Gold $$ Contributor

If in a blind, a cheap child's sleeping bag works wonders for them to keep body temp up. Don't zip it and they can just ease out of it when time comes.

13. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Ill pass on them bucks this year and hopefully they make it till next year. We picked up a pack that is a baby carrier and some baby ear muffs, hopefully he will come along on a few more hunts this year.

14. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

A muffler on the end of that thing would help keep the noise levels down for the family. Nice outing and shooting!

15. Wirelessguy2005

Wirelessguy2005 Silver $$ Contributor

It's great getting the kids out in the field for a hunt of any kind, this year i took my son out to wyoming for his first pdog trip and he is absolutely hooked. Great memories that will last a lifetime. Keep up the good work!

MrMajestic and Mtstalker like this.
  16. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Im wanting to put a can on it.

MrMajestic likes this.
  17. lacajun

lacajun

Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal