My first day of Unemployment

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by SPJ, Apr 2, 2020.

1. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Just Barely :rolleyes:

2. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

Hang in there Bro , better days a comming.

SPJ likes this.
  3. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

sux to be unemployed....been there.

as for retirement, I highly recommend it.

SPJ and 300_whisper like this.
  4. outasite `08

outasite `08

He had to bury him someway.I hope SPJ remembered the lime. Jeff

SPJ likes this.
  5. Silkrider

Silkrider

True, but the longer you can put off taking your SSI the more you will get. Unemployment is 26 weeks plus the 13 weeks. That is almost 10 months. I think it goes up 4% a year the longer you wait. You can sign up for medicare without taking your SSI so that you will have medical. Hope all works out for you.

SPJ likes this.
  6. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Hi SP-- Sorry to hear about your Job Loss. I forgot how old you are but if youre going to file for SS before your full retirement age it is true you lose around 4% per year. Im 63 now and plan on waiting until 66 4 months to file for SS- my full retirement age. for me that amounts to 500/month differance. of coarse i lose 80K in the mean time. WA has one of the highest max unemployment rates in the country so you are fortunate there. i believe their max is about 800/week
    plus if you got the 600 fed amount for the next 4 months thats 1400/week
    Not what we make working but not bad. Of coarse i know you know all this and it doesnt matter anyway cause you are a man who is in very good Financial Condition.:)

PS-- Where are you moving?

SPJ likes this.
  7. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry for your situation and many others that face the unemployment game. My son was unemployed a couple weeks ago and it took him one week to get thru the system. So many enrolling in it that the system wasn't designed for that. I'm guessing it will get better soon as most of the unemployed population has accessed the system already.

SPJ likes this.
  8. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Hoz
    I’m 67 this month!
    Wife and I have a small cabin in Libby Mt. (No freakin payments!!!!) Yes indeed the unemployment benefits are quite high right now, if you can get through the system you’ll get the money.
    Retirement is different than pension which effects weekly benefits so I should be able to draw both while looking for a soft job maybe the health dept or building inspector.
    Jim

Papa Charlie likes this.
  9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ll probably get called back to work in a few weeks to finish my last three houses, just as I’m driving away.:cool:

Papa Charlie and Bc'z like this.
  10. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Sorry to hear about your unemployment ! Just be thankful that you are right at retirement and have that to look forward to. So many young families are facing financial catastrophe.

11. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger

Well my company put this old Horse out on the tall grass 18 years ago. It has been the best 18 years of my life. I planned well and my employer has been great. :)

12. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah that could happen- if it does tell em youre allready in another state and filed for SS. Probably wont though- they can use the virus thing as an excuse to lay you off then when things start back up theyll hire a recent college graduate for half what they paid you. --One time i was driving through the Libby MT area. Cop stopped me and said i was swerving a little. I told him "you are Lucky to be Living here" He said "yeah i know". gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Beautiful Country in that area. Mabie a little snow right? 67 - sounds like full SS and a good age to get out anyway. I guess you mean you can get SS and unemployment at same time--that sounds right. Good Luck in your new exciting future. Keep in touch. Kim

Edit : I think ill be going back to work for life if i make it through this virus thing. o_O

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    SPJ likes this.
  13. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

Hang in there, Jim. You have ( seen to it -so you have) options. Must be ashock, regardless.
    Plenty time to load some more uber accurate ammo. :)

SPJ likes this.
  14. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks Bill,
    I’ve worked for 50 years so I’m good to go.