My buddy forgot one of the basics, ...

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by bluealtered, Feb 9, 2019.

1. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

I have a buddy that lives down in the Burns area which is sage brush country and good hunting. Vast amounts of open range land and coyotes up the Kazoo.
    It seems he was in such a hurry the other morning, (he over slept) that he just grabbed all his gear and raced out to jeep and roared out to his hunting spot which was in the middle of no where, and ran to his blind he had made years ago.
    He left the jeep sitting in the middle of the trail to his blind since it would be weeks or months before anyone might come along down that trail, well he did pretty good that morning on the dogs and decided to call it a day about noon.

There was about three inch's of snow on the ground that morning when he got there but the sun had come out and melted it off and he was leaving muddy tracks as he walked out dragging his coyotes and thinking about the $$$ the hides would bring in. He was thinking about a steak and maybe a beer for dinner that night as he got back to the jeep to celebrate the good hunt.
    There was only one problem, ... when you go out in the desert in the early morning and the ground is frozen, ... well when the sun comes out and warms everything up the ground thaws and what you parked on may have been just frozen mud.

You see his jeep was now resting on the frame rails sunk up to the bottom of the jeep in mud. Now he has been running this country for many years and is just as prepared as any desert rat, there's a huge winch on the jeep and of course a handiman jack but winching out on sagebrush is an art that doesn't always work very well. Most of us have saved ourselves with a handi man but there has to be a bottom to what you set the jack on to make it work.

The end result was that all he could do was dig out around the tires and the exhast pipe the best he could and wait for the ground to freeze up that night so there would be a base to jack up the jeep from. So he spent the night in the jeep running the heater and about 2:00 the next morning he was able to jack the jeep up and stuff sagebrush under the tires and get out. Steak and egg's and a beer made a great breakfast he said.
    I guess the message here is always remember that what freezes also thaws out and to be prepared so you don't have to walk out.

2. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Tell him to throw an anchor in that jeep. Works pretty good.

3. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I can't wrap my head around frozen earth that thaws so much during the day that a vehicle sinks to it's frame rails. I live in Wyoming so what do I know. I do know that around here that would be 3" of mud on frozen earth, and slicker than slick

JSH likes this.
  4. JSH

JSH

So it thawed, the jeep sunk up to the frame rails and he is gonna wait for it to freeze before he pulls it out? If it freezes enough to get a jack to hold, stands to reason the jeep will freeze in solid too?

April fools day is a ways off yet. Sorry this dog don't hunt.

P1ZombieKiller likes this.
  5. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I wonder where he really spent the night. :confused:

6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I can definitely sympathize with the dog hunter. When your brother says don't go any further, it's only frozen on top, don't go any further. That's me in the front and then he got stuck trying to pull me out. Thank a buddy and John Deere for not having to wait until the next morning.

IMG_20190125_184414222.jpg

7. 5spd

5spd

Burns WY?, just about 15 miles from my place.

8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Oregon

9. Bojo

Bojo

I was in far enough by distance off road and vertical depth in the mud befor to have a john deere 550 dozer rescue me . Ah memories of a youth when I knew it all !!!

msinc, Snuggie and hogpatrol like this.
  10. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks hogpatrol, that shows it quite well. I can think of three stuck's right off the top of my head that i have done, one in apple valley cal, one behind the nyack restaurant on I-80 in the sierra's next to the S.P. train tracks and one here where i live now. That one ended up costing me the jeep i stuck. There have been plenty more, those are just the worse ones.
    To say you can't get stuck that bad only means you haven't done it yet. There are a lot of different types of mud in these United States.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    foxguy and hogpatrol like this.
  11. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Been there , saw my F-250 slowly getting lower. The wife was with me !!! She will never ever go again . I was out past Chucker Park Juntura Or.

12. hogpatrol

Got stuck in New Jersey clay. Long strap and a Kubota that time. Wife was behind the wheel, turned all the way to the left. Had to get off and tell here keep the wheels straight, was just plowing a foot of mud up in front. Didn't get one groundhog, four bucks for the bridge toll and a ton of mud in the wheel wells. Not exactly a happy camper day. :(

13. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

It's not an adventure until something goes wrong. :)

14. hogpatrol

Yep, you have to laugh. Crying doesn't do any good.:D

Bc'z likes this.
  15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Nope, I've never walked 11 miles to the ranger station in the greasy Wyoming mud.

Dad n me were camped in the Bighorns doing some trout fishing and pre season scouting.
    We were joined by a local ranger taking a lil time for himself camped away from us in the same high mountain meadow.
    Well the sky turned that typical black Wyoming sky just before the rain.
    It rained for 3 days, forcing the 3 of us into an ol cabin/cattle camp where we waited out the storm.
    Ol man left some cash in the coffee can for the lil bit of provisions we'd used and we walked out.
    Dad went back a few weeks later to recover the truck after things dried up a bit.

16. centerlineseal

centerlineseal Gold $$ Contributor

That place brings back some fond memories.

Little further north, above John Day, I took the shortcut from the Middle Fork over the top to go see a lady friend. Took a wrong turn, then backed up into a snowbank over a bar ditch.. Landcruiser was done. 18 mile walkout. Thank the Lord I had a snowmobile suit in the rig. Still froze my a$$ off.

Don, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  17. my human host

my human host

And that's why most of us keep and older, but still reliable vehicle around for hunting.

Glad your bud got himself out without having to spend a bunch of money.

hogpatrol likes this.
  18. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

So I'll let you tell my murdered out 2014 ram she's not a hunting rig!
    She wears her okie pinstripes proudly.
    Lol

my human host likes this.
  19. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

New Jersey Pine Barrens , the locals tell you dont drive through the puddles. Well come to find out the puddles are sinkholes filled with water. Not me but watched a K-5 Blazer all but disappear occupants climbed out the back window cause doors couldnt be opened.

hogpatrol likes this.
  20. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

Grew up in Tillamook Oregon. Went out hunting one morning early with a friend of mine. Left the Scout on the side of the logging road and went deer hunting for the day.
    It wasn't frozen and the ground looked damp but not muddy. Came back and I was sunk up to the frame. In Oregon on the Northern Coast, the ground really never dries out completely. You get a crust on the top which more often then not will support a vehicle passing over it. Well while we were hunting that crust gave way from the constant heat and when it did, we sunk. Was soup below that crust of about 3" thick. Tried to dig it out but no luck. We started to walk out, about 8-12 miles, came across another hunter about 5 miles down the road with an F-350 4x4. He tried to pull us out but all he did was spin the tires in low. Another hunter came by with another 4x4 and we hooked them in tandem and was finally able to pull my little International Scout out of that mud bog.
    You never really know what is under you until you break through.

Bc'z, hogpatrol and New Gun like this.