My BSWN 2019 Lessons

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by willbas, Feb 22, 2019.

1. MattPeetz

MattPeetz Silver $$ Contributor

If its touching the line, it’s touching the line.
    If you have to do a double take and ask yourself if you see any black, then give the higher score. It’s pretty simple. You can discern if its a higher score or lower score pretty quickly.

Rope2horns, 284 Husker, Acyr and 5 others like this.
  2. MichelleGallagher

MichelleGallagher

Thank you so much for sharing! This is the biggest reason we started the SWN - to grow the sport, build relationships and encourage shooters of ALL levels. I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I had to jump on and thank you for being a bright spot.

Ian, 284 Husker, 50bmg1979 and 15 others like this.
  3. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

Throughout this whole thread I wondered what the people in charge thought about invitational stuff. Well nuff said. Maybe this thread will die now. Thanks to all that help put this on. Makes this newbie want to go more now.

1lnbrdg likes this.
  4. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

I can fully sympathize with the OP . My first SWN last year ; I made a totally rookie loading mistake , the night before the 600 and my usual low to mid 190's became low 180's and high 170's in the blink of a eye . A complete "Newbie" mistake . But then ; Weren't we all newbies at some point ? I've never seen a birth certificate with a box checked for "High Master" , at birth . Maybe ; just maybe , we forget where we came from , to get where we are .
    This years scores were much better . High 190's , but low X-count . Though not nearly close to what I saw when I checked the board . I may never reach that plateau but that won't keep me from going back to the line when it's my relay . I can ; as a "Newbie" , both to F-class , and DSS tell everyone that Matt , Nancy , Michelle and all the others who volunteer their time , energy and skills to make the SWN the absolute best major Match in the country , if not the world , deserve nothing but our praise and admiration for the job they do putting this Match together . And for those who don't know it , they're already starting to plan for next year ....Think it's easy ? Step up and volunteer to help out .
    On another subject that's been touched on in this thread . Ben Avery is my home range , and I shoot the Berger range three to five times a month , which means I pull targets that many times a month also , since I don't own a E-target ....Yet . Even though I'm new to F class ( 3 yrs. ) ,I take pride in the fact that I'm expected to "pull & mark" in 10 - 12 seconds , because That's what I expect as a shooter . I've pulled for guys who had a round on the target as fast as I could put it back up , and he shot 75 rounds nearly non-stop , in 45 minutes . BTW....It was July , and 107 degrees that morning . I was soaked to the skin , but managed to keep up , and went home smiling . Not because of my shooting that day , but because I knew if I could keep up with "that Guy " , I could mark anywhere . Including the SWN .
    If the "Newbies" aren't doing it in the pits , then maybe it's because there is no one taking the time to teach them what they're supposed to be doing , and how to do it correctly . As competitors ; it is our responsibility to teach the new people as they come in , or bite our lip and stay silent , when they don't perform to expectations . If the "student" failed to learn , the "Instructor" failed to teach .

5. 1shot

1shot

Did you view these spotters from in the pits or on the firing line? All of us have had shots that were close, but not touching the white line, giving us the higher value. Several times the shooter I was squadded with for the day would ask the other for a 2nd opinion. The shooter deserves every point he earns, nothing more or less.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

6. Cochran

Cochran

True but believe it or not, there are people out there who will not score the higher value for touching the line.
    Unless it’s buried in the white, they score it lower. I’ve seen it happen. And I’m not talking about newbies that don’t know any better.

Warren Dean and B Mize like this.
  7. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

But hey, paper targets are more accurate than e-targets, right? :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself :rolleyes:;)

Ian, Bob Sebold, MattPeetz and 5 others like this.
  8. 1shot

1shot

That’s B-S plain and simple.

Lloyd

9. dougridgeore

dougridgeore

I was in the pits and saw the hole on the line....amazing how the call could possibly go towards the lower value. I guess there is not a universal standard for all competitors. The line call issue needs to be addressed and not something that is subjective to ones opinion

10. Archer

Archer

Well put, Matt...I particularly like paragraph 2...People have forgotten your last line of that paragraph...for all of us that this was the first time attending (after many years of trying to get in), Thank you

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  11. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

Seems like if you would have brought that up then instead of now the outcome might have been rectified.

12. MattPeetz

There is a universal standard. Touching the line is touching the line.
    The only thing non standard is the persons morals and integrity

1shot, Rogmay and 284 Husker like this.
  13. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I cant remember if it was SWN 2018 or Nationals last year.. but there was a group of shooters from another country who were all scoring the lower value if shot touching the line. It was a pain to sort out.. but I think they finally got it. How many points it cost shooters before then.. who knows. Hopefully none if the other person pulling was paying attention.

14. MattPeetz

That is their problem for not knowing the rules. It is stated in the nra rule book.
    I think the person calling the match or the pit boss should make a statement about the line before shooting starts and at each pit change. Or at least mention it in the safety briefing. We do this at out club everytime, even when there are no new shooters

1shot, 284 Husker and Jdne5b like this.
  15. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

In international/ISSF competition, a shot counts for higher value if its inside the line so I can see the confusion by people not familiar with US highpower competition. That is why a short lecture by the pit boss is needed for the larger matches.

Ned Ludd and Jdne5b like this.
  16. mgdietrich

mgdietrich

You do not have to touch the line to get the next higher value, the shot only needs to be tangent to the line. It appears that we need a review of the rules.......and how to score.....

17. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

? Please explain. I see no reference in the HP rulebook about 'tangents'. This would be the first I have heard of it.

MattPeetz likes this.
  18. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

If the shot is so close to the line that you have to scrutinize the shot, if it's at a BIG event, call a pit boss. If that same shot is at a club match, for the crying out loud just give the higher score. We are not playing here for $20,000.00 per match and nobody is making a living off shooting a match!

19. Ringostar

Ringostar

The size of the bullseye is not the inside of the ring. It’s the outside! The white lines are just made thicker, protruding inward so that they can be made out by the shooter. It’s not that hard to figure out.

20. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Come on Gringo, we be tryin to get scientific.

Tangent......
    a straight line or plane that touches a curve or curved surface at a point, but if extended does not cross it at that point.

Figger that one out!!!:confused:

Rope2horns, MattPeetz and Dos XX like this.