My 600 Yard Valentine

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by snakepit, Feb 14, 2015.

1. snakepit

snakepit Gold $$ Contributor

I shot a 600 yard Valentine the other day. Not planned but just by accident.

Attached Files:

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

PHENOMENAL!!! Tell us about the rifle, load, etc...etc..

3. Lapua40X

Lapua40X California Hunter Education Instructor Silver $$ Contributor

Heart shaped image aside, that's pretty darn good shootin' my friend. I have a 600 yard match scheduled for tomorrow and I'd sure like to have a finished target that looks like that.
    Tell us about the rifle .............

4. snakepit

This will be one that may be hard to believe for some but it is my Savage 12 FTR .308 and I was shooting 168 gr FGMM. The stock has been modified for benchrest shooting with a 3" wide shoe on the forward stock. I do not shoot this rifle very often as most of my time is spent with my 30" Brux barreled 6BR working up loads and shooting. That day I had put the scope back on it and was sighting it in at 600 yds and those were my last three shots after my last scope correction and then I was out of ammo. This rifle has always been very accurate. The weather was good, no wind or mirage.

5. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I don't care what rifle it came out of>>>that is one fantastic group! Would it be any more "satisfying" if it came out of a full blown bench rifle? Methinks not! Great shooting>>>period!

6. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Awesome shooting and out of a stock rifle , that is simply great. That FGMM is some good ammo for sure. I have always found the 168 grain bullets at 100-300 yds to shoot phenominal.

7. snakepit

Here is another picture of a 600 yard,5 shot group I shot a couple of years ago with that same rifle and 168 gr FGMM. I wish I could have a do over on the last shot which was that flier off to the right. That is a 1 inch red dot in the center of the target.

Attached Files:

8. waterfwlr

waterfwlr

Fantastic group. How anyone can argue how well Savages shoot is beyond me.

9. Mr.270win

Mr.270win

Man that is amazing! Congrats!

10. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

He is not pulling your leg. He shoots where I do and we run across each other quite often.

11. snakepit

KMart is one of a couple mentors at our range who have taught me a lot about both shooting and reloading. Every range has shooters with mentors like them and without their support guys like me would be farther behind the learning curve. Thanks again to KMart and Howard.

12. Syncrowave

Syncrowave

Wow! Nice shootin!