My 6.5 PRC Thread

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by alf, Apr 14, 2018.

1. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

No spotter needed, I could spot every impact. It was the lulls, puffs, and slight angle changes that made it a bit of a challenge.

The wind is your enemy......

2. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

As I said, a gallon jug at 1750 is a pretty high bar with no large target to sight in on. Or, under any circumstances.

3. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Gotcha.......and how true.....

4. Adam 6mm build

Adam 6mm build Silver $$ Contributor

So elf as we talked last week about about rifle was not grouping at 100yrd I did get some rl 26 and 150s same results last resort i tryed magnum primers and wala problem solved .5 maybe a little better groups now i feel better I'll take it out to 600 yrds next week keep you posted as always your a pleasure to conversate with talk to you later SHOOT STRAIGHT ADAM

5. wboggs

Did you change both powder and primers?
    Are you using 215 m?
    Thanks
    Bill

6. Adam 6mm build

Adam 6mm build Silver $$ Contributor

Bill it shot pretty much the same with h 1000 and rl 26 then i switch to 215m primers whole new ball game group shrunk by atleast .5 inch group before going to the 215m 1 inch group consistent talking with Bobby hart he stated that he has seen 215m primers completely change accuracy of a rifle well the proof is in the pudding

7. wboggs

Thanks. I will have a reamer in a month or so.
    Everyone seems to be using the standard target primer but I have been wondering how the 215ms will work since it is a pretty large charge in the PRC. Based on your experience, I will try loads with both 210m and 215m with h1000 and rl26. As you say, that is why you do the testing.
    Bill

8. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

So today I ordered a Bighorn SR3 with standard and magnum bolt heads from Northland Shooters Supply. Jim had it in stock, along with other series and configurations. Now I have to decide if I want to shoot the Crudmoor, or get it rechambered by Mike Bryant in Lubbock, Texas with a rental reamer. At the very least I think I'll break in the barrel with some factory ammunition so if I decide to rechamber it that whole process won't be using up 6.5 PRC ammunition just to discover it doesn't shoot the way I expect. If this new Savage takeoff barrel won't shoot well after break in then I know I need to save up a few sheckles and buy a prefit X-Caliber from Raggedholes in whatever caliber I want. I'm pretty sure the action won't be the factor in the accuracy department. Like I said I have no intention to shoot competitively with this rifle, just fill the freezer and punch paper for fun.

9. waterdog

waterdog Gold $$ Contributor

I have been doing some load development and her is what I have come up with. Mike Davis ordered a reamer with a standard freebore so he could be use it in a short action. I wanted to use a long action so Davis used a throater to get the freebore right for my setup.

We seated a 150 SMK to an oal of 3.087 and a base to ogive of 2.318. It is into the lands about .015. It groups good with this setup.

The load is 56 grains of R-26 and a Fed 210. MV is 2980 with an es of 11. Didn‘t have much luck with Berger 140 hybrids.

Managed to shoot at a little distance this past Friday and here is a group at 887 yards. I am pleased with that.

The gun is a Remington 700 long action magnum action with a Proof Research barrel in Light Sendero taper 8 twist. Sendero stock, Triggertech Primary trigger set at a 1.5 lb. pull. Scope is Leupold VX- 5HD 3-15x44 with Impact-29 MOA reticle, Burris XTR signature rings.

Attached Files:

10. wboggs

What is your total throat length? What type steel you using? Looks like it is pretty well cratered for a 900 yd shot.
    Bill

11. waterdog

waterdog Gold $$ Contributor

Bill,
    As best as I can tell the throat length is .288. That is the measurement from the end of the brass to where the bullet comes in contact with the lands. The bearing surface is a few thousands above the neck-shoulder junction.

The steel belongs to a shooting buddy and I really don’t know what it is. This PRC did the most damage of anything we have shot it with.

By the way, the gun was smithed by Mike Davis of Davis Custom Rifle and Machine in Zionville NC. He has a website.

This has been a very informative thread. I hope you guys keep adding to it as you finish your build and work out the loads.

Larry

12. wboggs

Thanks Larry.
    I hope to have a rifle and some initial results within a month. It will be on a LA and plan to use the 150smks and H1000. Barrel will be a 30" Bartlein 5R in 7.5 twist.
    This is a good thread with more information on the PRC than any other source I have seen.
    Bill

13. wboggs

Initial break in loads with h brass, f210 m, h1000, smk 150.
    56.5 2963
    57.5 3007
    Low pressure loads. Will do further testing next week.
    Bill

14. wboggs

See my post on the 150 smk and 6.5x284 loads thread. Easy to reach 3100 range with H1000. Good accuracy which improves as you get toward higher pressures. Barrel and brass life to be determined. With the right equipment and skilled shooting team it could give the 284 shooters using 180 and 184 Bergers a run for their money

15. wboggs

Just measured case capacity of the Hornady cases. Average is 68.6 gr water, almost identical to the 6.5-284 at 68.3.
    Bill

Rum Punch Colonial likes this.
  16. wboggs

New accuracy test out of my PRC using h1000, 210m, h brass, 150 smk, 0.015 off
    5 shot groups 200yd 0.68"
    300. 0.99"
    Velocity 3116fps. No case head expansion.
    The Hornady cases appear very strong and are still good after 4 firings.
    Also tried 215m primers, 30-40 additional fps and groups doubled. Loaded 0.005" off and groups opened up.
    Next I want to see if I can find the same accuracy with a 3000-3050 load.
    Hope this adds some useful info for those using this cartridge.
    Bill