My 6.5 PRC Thread

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by alf, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks, that will be helpful for anyone interested in the cartridge.

2. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Play day part two. Went out to my long range spot to test drive my new target stands I had just built that I could just leave out there for hanging my steel plates on. Basically a saw horse replica out of treated 2x4's with 3 foot legs and cross pieces, a 6" eye bolt that I opened up the eye enough to slip a 6" bungee cord in, and left the hook on the other end to attach to the plate.

After setting up the steel & setting out a bunch of milk jugs and 16 oz bottles from 500 to 1150 yards, I set up the bench in the clearing on the hill just up & left of the barn, in front of the little line of trees.

[​IMG]

Victims:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. alf

The players were the same as last time:

L to R - 6.5 PRC - 6.5x47 Lapua - 6x47 Lapua - 22-204 - 22-204:

[​IMG]

The closest steel was set up at 512 yards and I started there with each gun. Since I hadn't cleaned the guns from the last outing, I went straight to the steel with a cold/dirty bore.

First up was the Gap camo 22-204:

[​IMG]

Next up was the tan camo 22-204:

[​IMG]

Next up was the 6x47 Lapua:

[​IMG]

Next up was the 6.5x47 Lapua:

[​IMG]

And finally the 6.5 PRC:

[​IMG]

4. alf

Funny, I was in such a lather to get the jugs and bottles filled, load guns, ammo, & everything else in the truck that morning, I forgot to put in my front rest and rear bag.

Luckily I keep 3 bipods and a few shot bags filled with sand in the truck, so rather than run back to the house I made do with those. The worse part was stacking two bags under the butt and chasing those bastards around. Made it tough to spot impacts in the dirt when shooting at the jugs half the time.

Also, I saw no difference in my zeros shooting off the bipod/schitty bag combo vs using my good front rest and rear bag.

Again, no surprise, as I've done it before.

5. alf

So here's a better close up pic of the results.

My five shot group at 512 yards, with five different guns, shot about a half hour apart, measure 5 1/2" even.

The last four went into 3 1/2".

[​IMG]

6. alf

Carnage after the smoke had cleared:

[​IMG]

7. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

Very nice read. Its good to know where this new cartridge stands. I would attribute the tight primers to all that brass that holds them in the large magnum bolt size vs the smaller 284 standard bolt.

8. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

What do you think of this new cartridge and it's strengths and weaknesses? I think a lot of people would be interested in your opinion.

9. alf

Thanks.....

Might be partially true, but you still have to start with good brass.

Case in point, Hornady 300 WM brass, at least the lot I had, sucked. 20% died on 1st firing, and 20% on the 2nd. Pockets were too loose out of the bag to begin with.

These PRC brass takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'......

Grimstod likes this.
  10. WSnyder

WSnyder

I haven't had problems getting a 6.5 PRC to feed out of an Accurate 300 WSM mag. As with most DBM setups using AI type magazines with no front blinder plate on Remington's and Rem clones you have to notch the feed ramp to take advantage of the longer OAL available with these magazines. If you don't notch the receiver the nose of the bullet can/will hang up under the the feed ramp.

11. wboggs

Thank you. I have noted your post under my thread in the gunsmithing forum and have sent you a PM. It is beginning to look like there are people with a good working knowledge of this issue and experience with the very new PRC cartridge.

12. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

Well I have not shot one yet so I really cannot say much. It seams like no one is interested in adapting it and that may be a bad sign for its longevity. I could only comment on paper based info and this excellent post by alf.

13. Dubbo

Dubbo Silver $$ Contributor

Alf, are those all the same stock types on your 5 rigs, what models are they?

14. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

They are the same and are McMillan Marksman’s..... ask me how I know? He got me hooked on them!

15. wboggs

Will be interesting to see if there are any new rifle chamberings at the NRA convention. Everyone should have the specs by now.

16. alf

My most recent outing.......stretching it some more......

Conditions finally improved enough to spot impacts at long range, so I filled up some milk jugs with colored water, loaded up the truck, and headed out first thing in the morning. A little breeze was blowing right away, but better than it had been lately.

Over the river, and through the trail, to top of the hill we go:

[​IMG]

Looking back to the firing line, which is on the horizon at the far tree line:

[​IMG]

Yup....back there:

[​IMG]

17. alf

After getting the jugs and flags set, I get back in the truck, exit this property, drive out to the main drag, and around to the neighbor's field road to his back 40.

Only two players today, the 6.5 PRC:

[​IMG]

And the 6.5x47 Lapua:

[​IMG]

Rangefinder says 1750 on the dot:

[​IMG]

18. alf

I don't have a phone scope, nor an active cell phone, so I make do with an old point-and-shoot Kodak for the through-the-scope-shot. With the NP-R1 reticle, you can still quarter a milk jug on 22 power at a mile:

[​IMG]

Good thing I set out enough jugs, as I couldn't see the left half from my firing point:

[​IMG]

This bastard got more than it's fair share thrown at it.

There's about 15 impacts just over:

[​IMG]

Evlshnngns likes this.
  19. wboggs

20. wboggs

You are setting a pretty high bar for the rest of us. If you had a spotter with you you.would probably be making some hits.
    Bill