My 6.5 PRC Thread

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by alf, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

I have Long action Remington BDL (aluminum black matte finish) with a Remington magnum magazine box and spring and follower and I've tested my 7mm WSM empty brass in it and it loads and LOOKS like it would feed OK, but of course I DON'T HAVE an ACTION! I also have Magpul bottom metal and Magpul magnum magazines that my WSM brass will fit in and SHOULD feed OK. I shortened a Magpul 5 round to 3 rounds and it fits fine and looks factory and is much lower profile if it was in a hunting application. That brass is .550 so I think a 6.5 PRC at .532 on the base and .515 at the shoulder would fit and feed fine, especially in my preference of a CRF long action. I don't know if there is even any short action bottom metal and boxes and followers available anywhere for magnum size cases, Brownell's sure doesn't show any that I can see.

2. wboggs

wboggs Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for your reply. It is my understanding that some of the high end 6.5 saums
    use a short action but I have not seen one.
    Actually, I am planning on using a LA Rem 700 for the rifle. The standard 300wm box and follower might work but I am looking for a detachable box. I have two wsms, model 70 c.f. and r700 push feed. Both work just fine with standard length rounds. I will be loading the prc to 3+ inches and the la will be fine for that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    simo hayha and Trophied like this.
  3. Trophied

Must be brothers from another mother!!!!:D Where I'm headed. I may be able to go kill an Elk cow or some Axis does close by on a game ranch, reasonably priced as herd control, for freezer stock. YUMMMM!

4. wboggs

Good hunting. Last two deer I took were with my 300wsm. 225-250yds and did not take a single step.

5. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Play day.....

Finally dried up enough to get to my long range spot, so I rounded up a few toys, painted up the steel, filled up part of my stash of jugs & bottles, and headed out.

Set up the steel, and set out some random victims on the hill:

[​IMG]

Drove back out to the 600 yard mark, and got set up.

Managed to get the boys lined up for the hero shot....left to right:

22-204 - 22-204 - 6x47 Lapua - 6.5x47 Lapua - 6.5 PRC

[​IMG]

simo hayha likes this.
  6. alf

View from the 600 yard firing line:

[​IMG]

simo hayha likes this.
  7. alf

Started out on the small end of the scale with the Gap camo gun, each one I launched the 1st clean/cold shot in the dirt, then a three shot group on each piece of steel, starting on the far right, working left. Since the first group was centered up a hair right, I shot the tan gun on the same target. Luckily it printed a bit low/left, so I could keep the two groups separated.

Immediate target to the left was the 6.5x47 Lapua, followed by the 6x47 Lapua, and finishing with the 6.5 PRC on the far left:

[​IMG]

Groups right to left:

Gap 22-204 - 1"

Tan 22-204 - 2 1/4"

6.5x47 - 2"

[​IMG]

Groups right to left:

6x47 - 2 1/2"

PRC - 2 1/2"

[​IMG]

simo hayha likes this.
  8. alf

Next, I drove up to the top of the hill and set up at 1000 even. While the wind was supposed to be from the east, giving me mostly a tailwind, it was running hard left to right, and the mirage was so bad I couldn't see impacts on the steel. The 80's out of the 22-204's wouldn't rock the steel enough to see movement in those conditions, let alone spotting shots. The 6.5's I could see the steel move, but I couldn't spot impacts through the soup, so I commenced to killing a few plastic critters instead.

I then loaded everything back in the truck, fired up the heater and ate a sammich whilst I warmed up to room temperature. Truck thermometer said 37* outside. I was in such a hurry to get in the truck to warm up, I forgot to take any pics.

9. alf

Last stop of the day takes me back to the property line fence. I had no intention of shooting any steel from there, the plan was to shoot at a handful of milk jugs I had set in the upper field. They were scattered between 1300 and 1400 yards.

Of course by now the wind had got more "brisk", and now was running hard left to right. Luckily the dirt was dry enough I could spot the little puffs of dust from impacts. I didn't bother with the 22-204 due to the conditions.

Set up:

[​IMG]

I emptied some, & others were hidden behind the tree limbs that I couldn't get a clear shot, so left them for seed for the next time.....

[​IMG]

simo hayha and Jason Boersma like this.
  10. Trophied

I think it will do everything I intend to do with it, and pack a wallop in the process

11. wboggs

Alf, you should be a writer when you are not shooting tiny groups at 600. Very enjoyable and I'm glad to see the prc will shoot. Some have questioned whether it can be accurate.
    So much for that negative argument.
    Bill

12. Adam 6mm build

Adam 6mm build

Elf u are a great writer really enjoy your post first I'd like to say order a custom from APR in the 6.5 prc waited 6 months got a call 2 weeks ago stating that the prc will not feed from a dbm they stated the round slides under the feed ramp settled on bdl bottom metal feeds fine beautiful rifle I will be shooting this weekend being stubborn and wanting to see for myself I ordered a krg bravo chassis wsm dbm magazine and yes it will not feed any suggestions elf

13. wboggs

This feeding issue is similar to what I have been hearing. I have an inquiry into Hornady to get their input. It is my understanding that one of the design parameters was supposed to be smooth feeding. I will go up the chain of command at Hornady for answers. The detachable magazine is not necessary for my use but it is essential for some and a nice option for others. We will continue to search for answers. Maybe there needs to be a new design and not continue trying to modify existing ones. Hornady has the resources to do this and should show their commitment to a cartridge of their own design.
    Bill

14. Trophied

I'm hoping CRF will solve any problems. I may have to shorten the lips on a Magpul magazine to see if that will solve it if it has feed issues, but that would be a really simple task and not involve much expense since those are reasonably priced.

15. wboggs

Please keep everyone informed of your results. Modifying the magazine lips would seem to be a reasonable solution but I know people have tried it without success. The solution may be a magazine designed for the the prc round.

16. Trophied

I checked a WSM round in a Magpul magazine (actually about .020 larger than it is designed for) and it comes straight out without tipping up any until it is too far out in front of the magazine for it to feed, at least to my untrained eye. The Magpul would be easy to epoxy a pad on the front of the follower to angle the tip up some, but the feed lips will definitely need to be shortened so it could pop up under the extractor. I'll know more when I have the other piece of the puzzle to work with.

17. wboggs

18. wboggs

Another piece of the puzzle. What oal are you loading?

19. Trophied

I'm not even loading yet, I still need to get the barrel rechambered and get the action. I'm not sure I won't just shoot the crudmoor barrel first to see if it's worth it, then decide to either rechamber it or get another barrel. I have the Hornady modified case for both cartridges, and in a long action I should be able to seat either for the best the cartridge can offer without having to get hot with the load.

20. wboggs

Easy 3200 with 140 class and 3100 with the 150s.
    I am going to stat a thread on magazine and feed solutions and see what develops.