My 22-47 results.

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by bobinpa, Mar 10, 2019.

1. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

I thought I would share my experience since there seems to be a need for info on this cartridge. Maybe it will help someone someday.

First the gun: It's a BAT VR, single shot, Jewell trigger with a Krieger 8 twist HV at 28" and a brake sitting in an HS Precision stock and wearing a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 with a varmint hunter reticle and a 3x booster.

The brass: I started with 12 pcs of brass. I didn't want to do 50 or 100 just in case I didn't get it right. I would rather junk 12 than 50.
    I necked them down using a FL bushing die, in just 2 steps because that's the bushings I had. New brass was .287 - .288. So I went .268 and .252. Using a FL bushing die worked good.
    Next I ran them over an expander, chamfered, trimmed etc and took a skim cut off the necks to get an 80% clean up. This brought the necks down to .0145 - .0146 and a loaded round at .252.

The load: I started with H4350 based on guidance from ALF, CCI 450s and 80gr SMKs .010 off the lands.
    I loaded 3 - 38 gr, 3 - 38.5, 3 - 39 and 3 - 39.5.

Since I was breaking in the barrel, I shot 1 and cleaned for the first 3 (38gr) shots. The third cleaning was done in 7-8 patches.
    My cleaning method was 2 wet patches of Butches. Let it sit 5 minutes. 5-6 strokes with a brush then a wet patch or 2. A dry patch then a patch with denatured alcohol on it. Let it sit a couple minutes then a dry patch and lastly a patch with a little Kroil on it. Shoot the next shot and repeat.

The first 2 shots were right next to each other and the third was about 1/2" low (must have been me):rolleyes:. Since the barrel was cleaning so good I shot the next 3 (38.5 gr)without cleaning in between shots. That 3 shot group measures .472 overall. This load was flattening the primers a little but the bolt lift was fine. Then I cleaned. I shot one more round (39gr) and the bolt lift was a little stiff with an ejector mark on the head of the case, so I stopped. It looks like the load will be around 38.5 or maybe 38.6. I think I'm going to pull the last 5 and make some more up around the 38.5 - 38.6 range .... no need to run hot with this one. I'll post more as it progresses.
    22-47 1.jpg

Pahunter1975, McGraw, Mark W and 3 others like this.
  2. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

What kind of speed were you getting with those loads?

3. bobinpa

I haven't checked them yet, but when I do I'll post it on this thread.

4. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

Nice looking setup. I am interested to see the final results as I may be ordering a reamer soon!

5. drags

drags Silver $$ Contributor

Hi Bob, I have a 22x47 that I use for Pa. groundhogs and I like it very much longest kill so far is 568 yards. I am interested in your velocity also my load is 38.5 gr. of H4350 with the 80 gr A-Max using a Krieger 26" barrel.
    Drags

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  6. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

That’s a very nice rifle Bob. I was curious as good as it is shooting for you if the rifle was glass bedded or just sitting in the aluminum chassis HS stock?
    I will have to do some research on the 3x magnifier, that looks interesting and nice!

7. bobinpa

Thanks. The rifle is glass bedded. My rifle smith actually mills some of the aluminum out so he can get a thicker layer of bedding in there. His theory (and I agree) is that a thin skim coat may crack or flake off. I think (but don't quote me) that he tries to get approx. .150 of bedding. The optical boosters aren't for everybody, but I like them. Some people can't get the scope refocused with them on. I have to turn my eye piece almost all the way in to get it focused again. Definitely different than without it. Below is a link to their website.

https://www.bulzeyepro.com/

McGraw likes this.
  8. bobinpa

Well I'm not sure why but I didn't duplicate my results from last time. The load that showed promise was 38.5 gr H4350 .010 off the lands, this time it opened up. I had 5 rounds left last time so I pulled them because they were too hot. I ran them through the FL die and reloaded them for this session. They were loaded with 38.5 gr and .010 off the lands but they opened up. I don't know if it's because they were pulled or not. Anyway the results were as follows:
    38.5 gr .010 off the lands. Velocity range from 3345 - 3362 5 shot group measures .837 overall
    38.5 gr .020 off the lands. Velocity range from 3320 - 3348 3 shot group measures 1.134 overall (not trying this again)
    38.7 gr .010 off the lands. Velocity range from 3354 - 3395 2 shot group measures .324 overall (this load was too hot.... stiff bolt lift)

I'm going to try 38.5 .010 off again, just to compare it to the last 2 times. Then I'm going to try 38.4 and 38.5 gr maybe .005 off the lands or even touching or both.

I'm open to suggestions....

Attached Files: