Muzzle breaks

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by swampthang, Jun 23, 2016.

1. swampthang

swampthang

Very familiar with the a.p.a. little BASTARD.
    I need a muzzle break that will tame a BIG .30 CAL BUT don't want to break the bank. Apa is my first choice, I know they work.
    What are some more choices.that my wife could use on a wsm so she can elk hunt.

2. swampthang

swampthang

How EFFECTIVE are the Harrell muzzle breaks ?
    She's a petite little fireball. Lol
    And if y'all say it will make a hard kicking wsm so she can handle it.this is the one I 'll put on.

3. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

I was shooting my 8.5 pound 300 wby this past weekend . I use a 200 grain bullet with 83 grains of IMR7828 . I could spot my shots . I watched the steel silhouettes fall from 500 meters in to 200 meters . I'm very impressed with this muzzle brake . it is his older version 4 port with the top holes . he now has a newer " beast brake " that is supposedly more effecient . I have a beast on my 338 lapua but it is a much heavier rifle . he also has videos comparing his brakes against some others . if I needed another brake today I'd order from him again without hesitation .

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Video_s_and_Pictures.php

Sniper338 likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Gold $$ Contributor

Harrell brakes will do what you want done, and very little cash is involved to buy one...
    They make my 338 Ultra Mag's recoil so low a 16 YO girl shoots it very well.....

martin22250 and mrjdasr like this.
  5. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a 2 piece Beast brake, newer model. It is the BEST brake I have ever used.....

Lostcreek and jimbires like this.
  6. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

+1 for Harrels brakes. Expertly machined, very effective, and very low cost. Harrels brakes will tame any caliber you put behind them.

They make the radial for bench type shooting, then they make the "Tactical" for prone type shooting. The tactical brake doesn't have holes on the bottom so you don't blow dirt, dust, or snow up in your face. Side ports are also angled upward at 30 degrees to decrease muzzle jump.

I was unaware of the new beast brake, but I have used the radial and tactical brakes. They both work extremely well.

7. ROCKJAG4

ROCKJAG4 PAYPAL--JGRAZIANO@ECHOES.NET

vais
    r the best.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    dogdude likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

Try a Harrels brake and you'll be wondering why in the hell you spent so much money on a Vais?... ;)

timeout and swampthang like this.
  9. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

I took a vais brake off my 300 wby . it does not compare to the one I have on now .

bigngreen and dmoran like this.
  10. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

11. Bigguy1951

Bigguy1951

Not trying to take away from Harrels as I am installing one on a barrel now. But the clamp on brake from Witt Machine will tame a beast. Installed one on a Weatherby Mark V 300 WM and was amazed at the difference. I can stay on target and see hits better with the 300 than I can my 22-250.

12. Ledd Slinger

I always kinda wondered about those clamp ons. Would be nice to have a brake that is easily removable and doesn't require threading. Good to hear. Thanks for the info.

13. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for Harrels Brake. They work extremely well at an excellent price. I prefer the Radial over the ported model though.

14. swampthang

swampthang

Thanks men.
    Harrells it is !!!

15. jlow

jlow

No personal experience with them but they look interesting. I do have to wonder about the radial brakes since they would likely be directing at least some gas downwards and that can cause a problem with any surface that is dusty/sandy?

16. Ledd Slinger

Yeah the radial brakes are not ideal for prone shooting over dust, dirt, or snow. They are very effective at reducing recoil, but they will kick the dust up.

He makes a Tactical brake that is designed for that type of shooting. No holes in the bottom and side ports are angled upward at 30 degrees.

17. jlow

jlow

Personally if I was going to do another brake (too late for me...), I would look seriously at one of those clamp on brakes - wonder how good they are? It's a bit crazy how much it cost to put one on when you take into consideration, the threading, and the cost of the barrel mailing, insurance, etc and that is before you pay for the brake. I paid $300 plus...

18. Bigguy1951

Bigguy1951

I got very little dust, even here in the desert, from the Witt brake, just side and top vents. The sides seem to angle up a slight amount or at least the exhaust did. What I didn't say earlier was the the Mark V was an ultralight and kicked like a pi$$ed off mule. It doesn't anymore, it is actually great fun to shoot now.

19. JasonT

JasonT Silver $$ Contributor

There's also the Kahntrol muzzle brake - it's a clamp-on with no threading required. Easy to install and wicked effective.

20. XTR

XTR

Most brakes are actually pretty effective, the differences are pretty slight based on numerous tests I've seen, and none of the high $$ brakes seem to warrant the cost.

Harrel"s works great on my 6SLR, not that it's a boomer, but if I am buying threaded brakes for future builds I'll get them from Harrel's.

Go watch a few brake comparisons, those expensive Vias brakes finish in the bottom half.

Mark W likes this.