MUZZLE BRAKE

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ANDY T, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ANDY T

ANDY T

Have been looking into some of the muzzle brake and look into this one.
    I there anyone out there that can verifier the below statement.

The JP Howitzer Muzzle Brake is radical looking but is honestly the most effective muzzle brake we've ever seen. We say it reduces recoil up to 100% because in most cases a gun equipped with the JP Brake just stands still during recoil

Andy

2. jamesh

jamesh

Hey!
    I can sell you the Brooklyn bridge, real cheap. ;D

3. Kenny474

Kenny474

I will tell you how good the brake is in a few months. I just need to finish the rifle first. ;)

4. cfvickers

cfvickers

I cannot speak for other breaks, but I have an old ultrabrake, that is big and funny looking on my .300 win mag. It reduces recoil to basically nil with any bullet up to 180 grains. as you get into heavier bullets the recoil increases exponentially. Max loads with 200 grain bullets down right hurt when fired wearing only a t-shirt. I think breaks are good but they have their limitations. If you are shooting at a range where others are shooting next to you then they are a bad idea as the noise and muzzle blast/percussion can be tremendous.

5. zcrackshot

zcrackshot Site $$ Contributor

I'd love to hear how they work! I can't bring myself to the point of buying anything that looks like that but if it works as well as they say then it might be worth throwing on a long range varmint rig! :)

6. 25AI260

25AI260 Site $$ Contributor

i have problems with.. " in most cases , not 100% sure , i think , its just like "... , an so on.
    the 1st statement already got me... "The JP Howitzer Muzzle Brake is radical looking but is honestly the most effective muzzle brake we've ever seen".

7. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

They work real good and so does a vais brake and so on .But the jp works real well as a friend has one on an encore pistol.I made my own muzzle brake for my 30-06 encore and now it fells like a 44 special. I made mine out of titanium for fun,dont really need exotics though.Brakes really work and to say they dont is from inexperience.

8. jamesh

jamesh

Muzzle brakes do a great job at decreasing recoil but to claim 100% reduction is a blatant lie and an obvious attempt at deceit and I would not do business with anyone who would intentionally and obviously try to deceive me or think I was gullible enough to believe it.

James

9. Kenny474

Kenny474

I saw a video where a guy shot a rifle equiped with a JP howitzer with the butt on the tip of his nose. It was a rather large caliber as well. He was fine afterwards.

10. rem sendero

rem sendero

I no brake reduces 100% recoil, at least on a riffle that has recoil to begin with. if you put a brake on a 17HMR it won't have any recoil. we sell our Tank Brake, and it will reduce recoil on a 338 edge with 300gr bullets by 50-75% but it still has some recoil. now we have put them on smaller rifles like a 7mm-08 and it has almost no recoil, but it didn't have any to speak of before. [​IMG]

11. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Site $$ Contributor

rem-sendaro,nice looking break and the machining looks fantastic.

12. people

people

They do look good. The best one I have ever used is the ArmaLite break. They are big and bulky but a 338LM with an aluminum but plate is a pleasure to shoot.

13. hothands56

hothands56

I have a j p howitzer on a 300 win mag contender it brings recoil down to 7mm08 or 243 so not too bad

14. Lapua40X

Lapua40X California Hunter Education Instructor Site $$ Contributor

I had to decide between a muzzle brake with it's propensity for kicking up dirt and gravel, generating ear splitting noise on the firing line, and learning to deal with the recoil. I chose dealing with the recoil. ::)

15. Road_Clam

Road_Clam

100% reduction in recoil is simply a crock of $hit.

I shoot upwards of 50+ rounds in a day with my .308 and I started out brakeless and quickly realized shooting that many rounds you really need a brake. I did not want to commit to threading my barrel at this time so I did some research and opted to buy a Kahntrol Solutions clamp on brake :

http://kahntrol.com/

I have a R700 SPS Varmint with the Kahntrol and a beefy B&C Tatical Medalist stock, and I have a very mild recoil (kicks slightly harder than my son's .223 Savage 10FP). I would take an educated guess that my recoil was reduced by about 50% realistically. The Kahntrol brake is a side exit design so shooting prone in the dirt is no problem with dirt blasts. Very happy when you can shoot longer without having shoulder bang on your mind each shot... ;)

16. people

people

Most firearms produce ear splitting noise. You should double up. I use earplugs and ear muffs. It really helps.

17. antitactical

antitactical

I recently put a Harrels brake on an old 6mm ppc I have. It is one of the most fun guns I own. It's an old 13.5 lb gun and it has close to zero recoil. The crosshairs tremble when you fire it and a hole just appears in the paper. It's a hoot

18. fdshuster

fdshuster Site $$ Contributor

I recently tried a 3 port, side discharge brake on my Krieger HV contour 308, mainly to get away from the downblast from the discharge holes at the 6:00 position. Did an excellent job of reducing recoil BUT (there's always that), accuracy went into the toilet with a lot of vertical. Removed the brake and with the same ammo the groups are averaging 1/2 moa and all are symetrical, no vertical or horizontal. This on and off comparison was done numerous times with always the same results: brake = bad, without = good.

More recently bought a Harrell's tuner brake, round with discharge holes all around the circumference. First tried it without the tuner and no vertical, or horizontal, and very good groups. Then added the tuner & lock ring and watched the groups get smaller and smaller as I made the adjustments.

The pictured rubber strap wrench makes removal and reattachment quick and safe (no damage).

Amazing how the groups will change when searching for that one perfect spot.

Attached Files:

19. rpierce

rpierce Site $$ Contributor

fdshuster: I would have to say that if your groups went down the tube with the brake on it would be because its most likely not installed correctly. My first guess would be that there wasn't enough clearance for the bullet. .020-.030 is what you need. Im sure your already aware of this but am just throwing a possibility out there as to why this could happen. Was the brake pre bored for your intended caliber when you bought it?

20. Changeling

Changeling

I strongly recommend anyone contemplating getting a muzzle break spend a little time investigating the different kinds.
    You might find that a Vias or Holland type is more to your liking, if you still want one.

When I was thinking about putting one on a rifle I owned my local gun store lent me a 30-06 with one on it. Two friends and I went to my gun range and shot it about 10 times!

I took it back to the gun store and got that nonsense out of my head, just because of the sound level !!
    That was me, maybe it won't affect you guys the same way.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!