Muzzle Brake testing with my new Beast brake

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by IdahoCTD, Apr 4, 2016.

1. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Silver $$ Contributor

Someone asked if I posted my results after testing some brakes and I did but it was in my add for muzzle brakes I had for sale. I'm putting it here as well so people can find it.

I built, modified, and changed some things on my test sled the last couple weeks to get the travel I was looking for and the consistency. The first sled was a 36+lb steel monster and it limited the travel because of the weight so I built a 18lb aluminum sled which about doubled the travel. I'll do some more modifications, like a larger ruler so it can be seen better, in the next month or so. Here are the videos of the test using my new Beast brake, my original brakes, and a couple APA Bastard brakes.

This one is actually a 6.5x47L not a 6x47.

Longcarbine, Bill3508, kev77 and 3 others like this.
  2. ZenArchery

ZenArchery

awesome review. especially for a big caliber boomer like that...

3. jlow

jlow

Nice test! Would have been even more interesting to see a test without any brake?

4. IdahoCTD

I can shoot it without a brake next time. The 338 Lapua will just slam all the way to the end of the travel and shake the whole sled. Without a brake they are pretty viscous. I'll probably test a 300wm with 208's or 210's and maybe a 308 in a week or so and I can run both of them and the Lapua without brakes on them for a comparison.

5. jlow

jlow

Thanks! No sense doing anything that might damage the sled, agree about the .338 Lapua, they are a beast even with the brake on....

6. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

Cool I have never seen a gun dyno before. I think I have changed with age, I will take the one with less horsepower now. lol

later Link

7. IdahoCTD

I'm going to test a 308win, a 300 Weatherby, and a 458 Lott in the next couple days. I have a bunch of customers that shoot a 308 and since it has a bit more recoil than the 6.5x47L I did last weekend I'll test it with 180's to see if the results are any different, I don't expect them to be. The 300 Weatherby is a factory 24" barrel I had laying around so I'll try to duplicate 300wm velocities, or slightly higher, with 208 Amax's. The 458 Lott is for a smokeless muzzleloader customer of mine. He's shooting about 80grs of powder with a 310gr bullets at 2700fps. That's loaded down velocities in my Lott but we'll see how the old brakes do against the Beast brakes on that one too.

I think I'll use my Shooting Chrony so I can put the remote display on the side below the measuring tape and I'll run the smaller guns without brakes to get a idea of the recoil reduction using the various brakes.

jlow likes this.
  8. IdahoCTD

Here is one I did for a smokeless muzzleloader customer of mine. I don't have a smokeless muzzle loader but I do have a 458 Lott so I used it to give him a idea how the new brake compares to the old one. I shot it without a brake also so he could see how much recoil reduction it really is. The load was with 300gr Barnes X bullets and R-7. I thought it was 350gr bullets but I checked when I got home and they were 300's. It was some left over stuff from when I shot a bear with it 4 or 5 years ago.

kev77 and jlow like this.
  9. jlow

jlow

Wow! Really gives you a good appreciation of how much difference those brakes make......

10. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

I shot my 338 Lapua today with one of the new 4 port beast brakes , it's very effective . I'm well pleased .

kev77 likes this.
  11. IdahoCTD

Here the 308win test and the 300 Weatherby test. I didn't expect a huge variance on the 308 because it has so much primary recoil with 180gr bullets. I was a little surprised the 4 port brake did slightly better.

I had a bit of a issue with my trigger mechanism on the shot with the little Bastard brake so there is a bit of delay between shots.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  12. kennyg

kennyg

Really cool test! Are you going to do the beast in the self-timed style?

13. IdahoCTD

It's in the works and about 4-5 weeks out. I might push the port size a bit bigger with the 2 piece since it can't be turned down like the 1 piece brakes. That will make it work a bit better too. The next batch of brakes will have a few changes/improvements plus I'll also have .750" brakes. I don't think I'll do a big 5 port yet but it's in the plans for summer. I might even do a 2 port test brake in the next run just to test the effectiveness. If it still works good I might run some of those come summer as well for the people that like short brakes.

I have several brakes on order for my next test and already have a T-3 Terminator and the Bastard brakes in hand. I also have a customer sending me a new Holland brake to test against mine. So I'll probably wait until I have all 7 of my competitors brakes in hand before I test again. Weather mine are the best or not I will still post the videos. If they aren't the best I'll keep redesigning them until they are. :D

kev77 likes this.
  14. IdahoCTD

I did some more testing today with 4 different brakes. They are the Harrell's 1" 4 port, the 5 port slabbed Muscle brake, the Terminator T-3 brake, and my 1.01" 4 port Beast brake. Like I said, I'd post it even if mine wasn't the best. The Terminator brake did better than mine but I can live with about 3/4" better for one less port and $160.00 less. I will make a max effort 1.01" 4 port brake in this next run to see if I can get the 3/4" back without going to a 5 port. I'll also run some 5 ports in about July as well including some 1.25" brakes for the big stuff. In a couple weeks I'll have the .750" 3 and 4 port brakes plus the 3 and 4 port 2 piece brakes done. I'll probably stretch the port size in the 2 piece brakes to get the max recoil reduction I can since they can't be turned down like the 1.01" brakes now.

BTW I also did a consistency test but didn't video it for some reason. I'll try to do it next time. 3 shots in a row varied about 5/8" with the same brake and a velocity variation of about 15fps.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  15. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

looks like your selling a good brake . thanks for posting .

DennisH likes this.
  16. bigngreen

bigngreen

Are these harder than previous ones, I've had 5 rifles in this year for accuracy reasons that ended up being the brakes pounding a bur into them, I have not seen this on a Muscle, Hollands or JP.

17. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

Thoughts on getting around to the 6.5 SAUM testing anytime soon?

Phil.

18. IdahoCTD

I did a test on my 6.5-300wm using 70grs of Retumbo with a 140 Amax at 3230fps but the video turned out terrible due to the wind. The whole video was blurry and hard to hear so I deleted it. I shot the new 1" Holland opened to 6.5mm and it traveled the least amount, my .865" 4 port Beast brake and T-3 Terminator brake (both opened to .30 cal.) went 1/2" further, the Harrell's was about a inch further and the 5 port muscle brake was another inch past the Harrell's. Both the Harrell's and Muscle brake were opened to 6.5mm.

I'm getting really low on several of my first run brakes so I didn't dedicate any new ones to testing on the 6.5mm. I'll buy a Holland brake (this one was borrowed from a customer so I couldn't open it up) and test them all again on a level playing field. I don't think the Holland will fair as well opened to the same size and/or on bigger calibers but we'll see when I get one in to test.

DennisH likes this.
  19. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Silver $$ Contributor

IdahoCTD muzzle breaks are good and perform exactly like he states and shows in the videos.

Apache and I are both sold on them. The "self timing" breaks are awesome, and anyone can install them. NO crush or peel washers that looks cheap on your rifle.

The big plus, you don't have to send your complete rifle in to have it installed. Awesome for a muzzle break that works.

Dennis

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  20. chirodr1

chirodr1 Silver $$ Contributor

Very effective brakes. Thanks