Moving my Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by DennisH, Jan 14, 2019.

1. savagedasher

savagedasher

If you lived close all it would take is breakfast For my stock car buddy’s

2. drover

drover

Call a couple of the places in your area that sell safes, chances are they will tell you who they hire to move them perhaps you can get one the movers they use to do it in their after work hours, paying in cash may add some incentive also.

drover

MislMan and DennisH like this.
  3. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

Lots of good advice here, any of which will work if you think about it!

DennisH likes this.
  4. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, your correct.

The easiest so far is the PVC tubing. There's a TouTube video out there with one person moving the safe all over the place with PCV tubing. The Golf balls should work pretty good too.

Now off to the local "rent all" and see what they have to help. Then I will head to the local HS for some wrestling players!

Thanks, Dennis

5. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

If I lived within 100 miles of you Dennis, I'd show up with 3 buddy's and make your day. Louisiana is a bit further but you have to have 4 guys that can lend a hand. 750 is alot of weight but with 4 men and some brainstorming, you can make it happen . You tube is a great thing for this purpose.

DennisH likes this.
  6. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I bought moving "harness straps"
    I was amazed how easy it was to lift
    With those. It did take 4 guys tho

7. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

Get in touch with the local college football coach and tell him you need 4 linemen to lift a really heavy box....about 800 pounds. Tell him you figure he aint got 4 guys big enough to do it....you will get your 4 guys. Hit them with $50 each for the afternoons festivities and you are done. I did that for my first lathe that I needed moved....they just picked it up, put it on the trailer and then unloaded it for me too. Done....cheap, and they had a heck of a pizza/kegger that night too I heard.

Steve Ladino, 284winner and DennisH like this.
  8. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

With your spinal injuries, assuming you are tight for cash too, maybe ask around at the gun store, church, shooting range for total assistance.

9. Judd

Judd

Two 4x4's cut to length at least how deep as your safe is and a pallet jack.

Push the safe up and put a 4x4 under one side...then push the other side up and put the other 4x4 under it...then slide the pallet jack under it and move to where ever you need it. Depends on terrain and how far I'm going as to whether I'll strap it to the jack or not. Go slow, take your time and reverse the process when you have it where you want it.

Good luck!

Jdne5b likes this.
  10. FTRinTexas

FTRinTexas Silver $$ Contributor

check craigslist for your area

11. dreever

dreever Gold $$ Contributor

I used a burial vault company. They move those heavy burial vaults for funerals all the time.

Danny

12. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

I've moved more than a few, the heaviest being just under 4000 lbs. It takes way more technique than muscle, especially if there are no steps involved. I wish I was closer to you, I'd do it for you. But in this case, You tube is your friend....

13. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I move mills and lathes by myself. Gunsafes are not a problem. It will take a while. Channel your inner Egyptian.

rent some hillman rollers or make yourself some machinery skates by bolting heavy duty wheels onto some steel plates, perhaps 3/8" x 8" by the depth of the safe.

use a pry bar and wood blocks to raise the safe one side at a time, 1/2" at a time, until you can get the skates under it.

Roll it out to the driveway. Never try to man handle a load that size. I would never use the 4 buddies method. Works fine until one ends up under it. if you need to go down a slope use 2 chainfalls or cable wenches to slowly lower it down the driveway.

Rent a tilt bed trailer and use a wench to pull it onto the trailer.

Tie it down. When you think you're done, redouble your efforts. You may have to take it off the wheels for transport--another hour of slow work.

Unload in reverse.

mikeinct likes this.
  14. big wes

big wes

Contact a locksmith some times they'll move the, we used a locksmith 3 times he charged my son $300.00 per move. If you do it yourself several 4x4's strapped together to make a ramp for the stairs and several pieces of carpet to slide it up the 4x4 ramp, if you have to go across the lawn a few sheets of plywood is needed. Once in the house several 1 in pic pipes to roll it into the area you want to put it in.

15. mrjdasr

mrjdasr Silver $$ Contributor

where do you rent those "wenches"

16. agr516

agr516

Look for a local safe dealer such as Liberty. Those guys will be safe movers who deliver them regularly and know how to handle them. They may move safes as well as deliver them.

17. codybrown

codybrown Silver $$ Contributor

Some black gas pipe, a dolley with a set of tilt back wheels, and a couple buddies with strong backs and weak minds.

18. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

^^ THIS but you forgot the 2 cases of BEER.

19. codybrown

codybrown Silver $$ Contributor

The beer and pizza come after the safe moving. I moved both my safes with a couple of buddies 3 years ago, and it took about 2 hours. One safe weighs about 850 pounds and the other is about 1500. It went a lot smoother that I thought it was going to......