Moving my Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by DennisH, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member Gold $$ Contributor

My delimia!

I have a Gun Safe I need moved 3 miles!

It's 750 pounds, 5ft W x 26" deep, 6ft high.

I am in the Baton Rouge area.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I have contacted a few movers, but they want anywhere from $500 to $750 to move it 3 miles!

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

See if you can get a really heavy duty strap type dolly and two big buddies and a lawnmower trailer with a ramp... maybe check YouTube for dolly technique?? You can do it yourself

DennisH likes this.
  3. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

No farmer buddies with a front end loader on a small tractor? Doesn't take a big one....or maybe rent one....

4. savagedasher

savagedasher

Call a friend with a role back

5. DennisH

All great suggestions!

Still open, the tractor is possible, I have a friend with a "role back" business, and I will check out the dollies.

Thanks, Dennis

6. Panda Nick

Panda Nick Silver $$ Contributor

If you have a truck then this will work...take pipe cut into pieces couple inches wider than safe.lay them in bed of truck. Take heavy duty ratchet strap from tie downs in bed run under safe and start ratcheting. It will slide in there with little effort.

7. DennisH

PS: with rods, screws, braces from L3 to S1, my activity is limited!

8. simo hayha

simo hayha

Do you have pvc pipe

oldman1951 and DennisH like this.
  9. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

The guys that moved mine used a hand truck that climbed stairs also teflon tracks to slide along the carpet and around corners. One guy could have done it.
    I paid $250 for delivery
    Go figure

10. Sniper338

Sniper338

But half inch pvc and cut it to the width. Lift one side and stick a piece under.. get another piece under and roll it on the pvc. You will need 5 pieces or so. Thats how we moved mine. Then a pallet jack to lift it up to a truck bed.

mikeinct likes this.
  11. DennisH

I just finished watching a YouTube video of a person using 3/4" schedule 80 PVC. Worked unbelievably!

Who ever will do it for $250.00 has the job!

Dennis

jepp2 likes this.
  12. joed49

joed49

You do realize the door comes off the safe I hope. I went through this 10 years ago. With the guns out of the safe and the door off the hinges it becomes a lot easier for a couple of people to move.

mikeinct likes this.
  13. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

If the door comes off , then yes"

mikeinct likes this.
  14. 400short

400short

rent whatever equipment you need and then get hold of the boys in the High School football or wrestling team.

15. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^ Mine went to the second floor, three young bucks and away we go!!! Best C note I ever spent. :D

16. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

I used a tow truck company

17. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

See if you can find a set of safe jacks to rent. Depending on the configuration of the space it's coming out of and into, it should be easy. The set I have access to has swivel wheels and rolls pretty easy. basically a set of dolly's you strap to each side of the safe and then lift the safe with a hand crank on each side.

A Piano dolly may also work. Not as robust as the safe jack, but if it's an easy in/out I don't see why they wouldn't.

Stairs complicate things.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    spclark likes this.
  18. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Similar is piano jacks, levers on each to
    lift safe once they’re strapped on each side. I used a pair last summer moving my safe ~ 12’, then back when drywalling/painting.

Getting onto/off truck bed’s a different problem. Two, three young strapping fellas should find it fun enough with the right motivation. Taking door off shoud make it even easier if possible.

Jdne5b likes this.
  19. Trophied

Trophied Gold $$ Contributor

I moved mine from one side of my garage to the other by myself with pipes, and you wouldn't believe the way three guys with a moving company struggled to put it in place in a closet when they moved us to our new house. They wouldn't listen to me about how to move it. 1325 lbs. and they used a dolly that was much too lightweight for the job, even though the mover was informed about the weight of it. My neighbor didn't like where he had movers put his when he moved in and wanted to move it across the house and I helped him get it where he wanted it. It was a lightweight, only about 500 lbs., so we slid it accross the hard floors with some upside down pieces of carpet I had. Calling someone with the proper equipment or renting it to get it across town is a good idea, though, and much safer and easier on the body.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  20. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Gold $$ Contributor

Unload the safe, take the door off, get a good appliance dolly with straps. Tilt the safe back and put golf balls underneath and move it to a large area that can handle putting the safe on the dolly. Strap down well. You can probably rent a truck from Home depot or find a furniture dealer and hire them to load, transport and unload from the truck. After that, reverse the process.

simo hayha likes this.