motion sensor for coyotes

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by markT, Sep 27, 2017.

1. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Fair enough.
    But, your "facts" don't hold any more water than his...unless your situation is comparable to his.

The man said he hunts/shoots over a bait pile from his home, so those coyotes have obviously learned to be skittish around it. That is a "fact".

Obviously, your situation must be different. Any coyote that saunters within 25yds of a home / yard has not yet been properly 'educated', or outright exterminated.

Next time your pet coyote stops in your yard, SHOOT IT. Then, see how long it takes to have another one stroll past. I'd not be holding my breath in wait...

boltfluter likes this.
  2. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

His words were "you won't get a coyote to come within 75 yards of your house". Now if mistakes are made and certain coyotes won't come within 75 yards of a house, that's a different matter.

3. fredo

Right.

And this thread is about shooting coyotes over bait piles. Yet, you're interjecting your backyard observations as somehow being relevant, or "fact"?

Do you have a bait pile behind your house that you shoot coyotes from???

If not, it is your comments that are being used out of context. Not his...

4. timeout

You win.

5. fredo

Not about winning, Sir.

Rather, its about being 'accurate' & not dismissing another's opinion without actually comprehending it, first...

6. Hal

Hal

Shooting animals over a motion sensor is illegal in some states.

Hal

7. hpasquet

hpasquet

Not coyotes or hogs in Missouri. Our conservation agents work closely with me to kill coyotes and hogs. First name basis with them. They give me all the corn I need to bait hogs.

8. timeout

Okay, how about I was wrong? Take the last word, I'm going hunting.

9. people

people

Many states allow exceptions for agriculture. Here in ND since we are a farming state almost every law that prohibits anything usually has an exception for agriculture. Here in ND basically if you have land (a farm) you can hunt at night with lights or devices that allow you to see at night. As long as you can state it is to safeguard your critters.

A few years ago we had an out of state group come in and slick willy us into passing a law that protects cats, dogs, and horses. Before if your critter was old and it was time to put them down you could. Now if you don't have a farm or ranch you need to have them put down by a vet. If you have a farm or ranch just put them down.

Each state is different in what laws it has and more importantly what laws are enforced. In all of my years I have found that the three S's really is more important than anything else. None of us are really as important as we would like to think we are. Do what you want and be silent and nothing will happen to you.

10. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Coyotes will come eat cat food off your back door step every night, and your cat/dog if they can catch it. When I lived in Az, I had a lot of horses and mules, with barn. Rats really multiplied in the hay barn, and I took in a lot of free cats. Coyotes thinned them out fast, as they cornered them in the barn, made one heck of a racket.

Some of you guys need to read my post again, that was not from a figment of my imagination. Remember, 60-80% of the coyotes you kill are yearlings. Make sure that all your actions are within the law of your state and county. Coyotes are considered a pest in most states, which does not put them in the same category as Game animals. A five minute call to your local game warden will tell you if hunting over bait and issue on night hunting is legal.

WyleWD and Mark W like this.
  11. hpasquet

hpasquet

As I was just trying to go to sleep, the driveway alert beeped. One shot, one kill, 200 yards. Didn't even have to get dressed or go out in the cold.

12. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Update on my motion sensor project.. I haven't seen a single coyote on trail camera.. so, I will wait until after deer season to go after those buggers.
    I did shoot a nice buck last evening tho. 8pt / 185lbs.. corn fed..

Attached Files:

Mark W likes this.
  13. hpasquet

hpasquet

Sound asleep. Beeped again. Woke up. Second shot, second kill. This is too easy. Try it. You will like hunting this way. Two less coyotes means saving many rabbits, fawns, and so many other animals including calves, which I lost regularly until I started wiping out coyotes.

WyleWD, Mark W and Immike like this.
  14. hpasquet

hpasquet

Third beep, shot, kill. Bait about gone. Three in five days with less than one half hour of hunting. Time well spent.

Toby Bradshaw, Mark W and WyleWD like this.
  15. Nomad47

Nomad47

"hunting" ???
    Shooting? yes
    Killing? yes
    A bit of a stretch to call it "hunting". ;)

fredo and boltfluter like this.
  16. hpasquet

hpasquet

I agree. I HARVEST coyotes. I am too old to hunt.

17. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

They need it. A pack animal does a lot of damage if not kept in check by Man. I have a pack terrorizing my deer herd while I'm trying to hunt for a trophy buck this year. I gotta do something, wish I lived on the farm where I could take them out. Had a whole gang circle my clover Sunday night and screw up my hunt again. Deer are nervous wrecks this year. Lol

18. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

Coyotes are amazingly resilient. I've seen studies where their breeding becomes more prolific when they are facing higher mortality rates. Nearly impossible to eradicate them.

Immike likes this.
  19. spencerhenry

spencerhenry

I have been using a driveway monitor for about 7 or 8 years. Originally the bait pile was about 75 yards from the house, over the years I have moved it out to about 100. The first year I put up the alarm, I killed 18 in 3 months. Now I only get about 3 to 5 per year, more because there are not many left. I know when they hit the bait, sometimes now there will not be a coyote on it for weeks. But, I also only shoot them when the hides are good.
    I use a red light on a 223, with a decent moon I do not use the light.

Immike likes this.
  20. Nomad47

Nomad47

LOL. I should have added "harvest". Good come back.

Sometimes I get to thinking my ground hunting isn't really hunting since I just sit there waiting for them to come out of their holes. Of course, sometimes those holes are unoccupied. And other times they appear where I wasn't aware of a hole. Maybe it is hunting after all. ;)

Immike likes this.