motion sensor for coyotes

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by markT, Sep 27, 2017.

1. hpasquet

hpasquet

400' is under perfect conditions, which never exist. It still is not enough. Coyotes are still coy, and have awesome hearing, scent and sight. Another $50 will guarantee success. Compare that to the cost of the rifle, scope, and value of your time. At my age, I go for max success.

boltfluter and Webster like this.
  2. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Which model chamberlain do you recommend?
    Good info Ackley man!! I've got them on trail / deer camera.

3. rebel

rebel Silver $$ Contributor

The Chamberlain you can buy at Northern Tool. Works good.

4. hpasquet

hpasquet

Amazon has the Chamberlain CWA 2000 for $57.00. It has a 1/2 mile range. Best option.

Immike likes this.
  5. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I have a built in motion sensor. My eyes..

6. people

people

All you need is a few claymores just use the tripwire.

This will not work for the day but at night you can use a motion sensing light with IR bulbs and a camera. I have a system like that set up in my shop. The TV just stays on and black. If it turns bright the IR light came on.

Kevin Taylor likes this.
  7. hpasquet

hpasquet

The alert works while you are asleep. Much better than staying up all night.

8. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor

The claymore will wake you up too.

mikeinct, people and boltfluter like this.
  9. markT

From what I read about the Chambelain it only provides an audible.. I would like a flashing light for an alert.. needs to be wireless.. I put out ~50 dove guts from this a.m's dove hunt.

10. Webster

Webster

Are you willing to pay about $4000 for a night vision scope plus a hand held night vision monocular. You cannot look continuously thru a rifle scope.

11. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

My hunting buddy lives on the edge of town, a hundred yards from the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest boundary. There is a coyote den 500 yards up a draw, and visible, from his back porch. Every spring we sit and watch the pups cavorting around the den through binoculars. Coyotes routinely walk by 20 feet from his porch while he sits smoking a cigarette, on their way to a nearby residence where an idiotic woman sets out kibbles for the coyotes. When he BBQs meat outdoors one will sometimes sit patiently sniffing the cooker from about ten feet away.

Meanwhile, on garbage pickup mornings in my 67-year-old neighborhood well in town, coyotes cruise the streets at dawn looking for spilled garbage. Many domestic and feral cats have been eaten by coyotes at a small city park, surrounded by homes, 100 yards from my house.
    -

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    timeout likes this.
  12. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Sensible advice. But no mention of the legality of discharging a firearm in a settled area? Unless the nearest occupied dwelling is at least a quarter mile away, shooting a rifle or pistol is likely illegal (barring extraordinary circumstances.) In many if not most incorporated areas, even discharging an air rifle is illegal. Check local ordinances; weigh odds; choose wisely; live with the consequences.
    -

AckleymanII likes this.
  13. hpasquet

hpasquet

I am surrounded by National forest and live at the end of a one mile dead end road. No problem with neighbors. They have told me that they are no longer losing calves to coyotes. Our conservation agents know and approve of my war on coyotes and wild hogs. Try working with your agents.

14. markT

Here is last night. He left a pile of persimmon seed ladened poop.. Is this an example of " can't we all just get along?"
    Folks own all the land around. Yes there are houses. But we're in the county. NP. Legal according to rules.

Attached Files:

15. WyleWD

WyleWD Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^This is a VERY good choice. My neighbor has his set up where the alarm is by his bedside. Apparently there is a red or green indicator on the sending unit that he had to cover up as the coyotes could come in more reliably when this was covered up. Also expandable to up to 8 units for multiple feeding sites. Last year alone he got over 35 coyotes using this set up. WD

Immike likes this.
  16. markT

Appreciate the Intel on the light. I taped up the red LED before last night. The motion part however does flash red. When I checked this morning something had bumped the motion sensor pushed it straight down. Maybe a curious deer, coon or yote. I still had pics of a yote in there feeding on a can of tuna.

17. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Not trying to be a wiseguy either, but...

Coyotes only do that because they've deemed that area to not be dangerous. Obviously, there is little/no "hunting" allowed within city/town limits, and the coyotes have learned & adapted accordingly to exploit the available resources.

I believe hpasquet's comments were within the context of being able to hunt/shoot coyotes from one's house. Simply put, if you can and do shoot/kill coyotes from your home, odds are you ain't gonna have many coyote's stoppin' by at your next BBQ cookout...

18. people

people

If you are going to mount anything to your rifle go thermal. Use your NV monocular on your head so you can navigate.

With these short ranges he is talking about I would just go NV Head mount and a IR laser on the rifle.

:) What will happen is light fog or smoke will stop you from seeing them or they will go in the shadows and you will not be able to see them. This is where thermal is the ticket.

19. hpasquet

hpasquet

I like NV on coyotes, gen 3 now, because I will not take a chance on killing a neighbor's dog. I have a high dollar thermal scope that can tell markings, but not quite as good as NV. My thermal is good enough to see racks on bucks at 500 yards. Heavy fog will limit range on a thermal. The target sticks out best on a thermal, but you don't get the terrain to judge distance as well. I can shoot 700 yards into my field. In July a wild boar was in my field. I was sighted in at 200 with the thermal. I used size to estimate the range. I held on the top of it's back and killed it at 290 yards. They make great eating. My longest hog kill with thermal was 334, but was sighted in for it.

20. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I certainly don't live in the city and there is a lot of shooting and hunting that goes on here. His comments were not fact.